Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Oh, I'm gathering LOTS of information right now.

Quoting turtle68:

heaps of times....opinionated views when they dont know the hierarchy can be very informative.  Plus its always fun when they find out that you are the boss LOL

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LauraKW:

Yup, sounds way too familiar.  Did you know she is 53 and still has her period?  I mean seriously, that is just a small sidebar from one of the many facts about her life she feels compelled to share.

Sounds like she may be lonely, as if she doesn't go out of the house other than to work. 

Maybe ask if she has any hobbies? (if she hasn't shared already) and then google them and slip a "did you know there is a _>ex: knitting class at the yarn branch<__" in there and see if she picks up on it. If she does, she may go make some friends! lol 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

lga1965
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent!   :-)

Quoting LindaClement:

My favourite way of dealing with people like this is to give them a blowtorch version of attention: to stare at them with real intensity while they talk, without flinching or moving at all until they peter out of words in their discomfort and then say something very Miss Marple, like 'I see.' Continue staring at them for at least 10 seconds longer, or until they look away and find something to do other than talk...

Usually only takes a few runs through before they stop talking at all.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, she told you that? I still had my period when I was 55 but I didn't tell anyone at work. LOL. Or brag about it! Who is proud of that? WTH?

This woman sounds like a real piece of work. I wish you luck. But , yes, maybe she does need to hear some truths .....from you>?> Somebody? She can't go around sharing her prejudices and misinformation with other employees. That has to be stressful!

Quoting LauraKW:

Yup, sounds way too familiar.  Did you know she is 53 and still has her period?  I mean seriously, that is just a small sidebar from one of the many facts about her life she feels compelled to share.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I've had something similar happen. I kept trying to divert the conversation but the other woman kept bringing it right back to some very inappropriate political comments. I finally just extended my hand, introduced myself and my title. Thing was, she still didn't see anything wrong with the comments she was making so I finally had to get HR involved. It was an out of body experience tbh. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I thought about that tactic with her.  Problem is I know she won't shut up if I let it go.  I also know her productivity level won't change without some intervention.

Quoting turtle68:

Ok...slightly different scenario IMO.  Some people think they do hold a level of power as an actual supervisor or team leader.

I remember being paid a grand total of 10 dollars more a week to be team leader....try telling that to the old ladies who had been employed for the last 20 years LOL.  Sometimes you have to take your position with a grain of salt and work with what actually is easiest for the best outcome.  I found it easier to let the old ladies see themselves as my superiors...it didnt change the job outcome :-)

Quoting LauraKW:

She thinks our positions are lateral.  The last person in my new position did what was in her job description and nothing more, as does this other person.  She has already mentioned that I will only have to do X in this position and the rest of my time will be free.  That isn't going to cut it any longer.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why doesn't she know?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I've thought about telling her I'm atheist (although I'm not) just to see her reaction :).

Quoting wickedfiress:

Do you think a simple "This isn't the appropriate setting for this discussion." *smile* would work? Probably not huh? :( 

I have been fortunate enough to have only had to work with one person who didn't get the hint rather quickly when I changed the subject. All it took was one "Tasha, you know I'm an atheist, right?" to get her to stop speaking to me completely about anything other than necessary work information... and even then, she would often just leave me a short note! LOL 

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
How long has she worked there?
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not cool to use her.

Quoting LauraKW:

First I have to get what I need out of her.  That sounds so wrong.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

If you are her boss, you need to pull her into your office (if you have one) or into HR (if there is one) and set her straight asap.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Not really, which is probably how she has gone on unabated this long.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

No, I understand what you're saying, but is she in a public position where she puts your organization's reputation in jeopardy?

Quoting LauraKW:

First I have to get what I need out of her.  That sounds so wrong.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

If you are her boss, you need to pull her into your office (if you have one) or into HR (if there is one) and set her straight asap.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I tried that to a lesser degree and she took it as my rapt attention to what she was saying. 

Quoting LindaClement:

My favourite way of dealing with people like this is to give them a blowtorch version of attention: to stare at them with real intensity while they talk, without flinching or moving at all until they peter out of words in their discomfort and then say something very Miss Marple, like 'I see.' Continue staring at them for at least 10 seconds longer, or until they look away and find something to do other than talk...

Usually only takes a few runs through before they stop talking at all.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, she told you that? I still had my period when I was 55 but I didn't tell anyone at work. LOL. Or brag about it! Who is proud of that? WTH?

This woman sounds like a real piece of work. I wish you luck. But , yes, maybe she does need to hear some truths .....from you>?> Somebody? She can't go around sharing her prejudices and misinformation with other employees. That has to be stressful!

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I've had something similar happen. I kept trying to divert the conversation but the other woman kept bringing it right back to some very inappropriate political comments. I finally just extended my hand, introduced myself and my title. Thing was, she still didn't see anything wrong with the comments she was making so I finally had to get HR involved. It was an out of body experience tbh. 

Quoting LauraKW:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I like it!

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting LauraKW:

Sounds like she may be lonely, as if she doesn't go out of the house other than to work. 

Maybe ask if she has any hobbies? (if she hasn't shared already) and then google them and slip a "did you know there is a _>ex: knitting class at the yarn branch<__" in there and see if she picks up on it. If she does, she may go make some friends! lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)