Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (41-42):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

But think how crappy you would have felt had you continued to work under that new manager.  Sounds like your employer really valued your opinion.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

I worked at a job once that after a few years I held some power but not the title (owner and managers liked me but I could not work the hours needed to become a manager). Well they hired a new manager and after a week asked what I thought, I tried like hell to not awnser because she was rude and had not a clue on what she was doing. They fired her the next day and informed me I was the tie breaker on her job, felt like crap after that, not much I could do.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Try it to a greater degree :D

Quoting LauraKW:

I tried that to a lesser degree and she took it as my rapt attention to what she was saying. 

Quoting LindaClement:

My favourite way of dealing with people like this is to give them a blowtorch version of attention: to stare at them with real intensity while they talk, without flinching or moving at all until they peter out of words in their discomfort and then say something very Miss Marple, like 'I see.' Continue staring at them for at least 10 seconds longer, or until they look away and find something to do other than talk...

Usually only takes a few runs through before they stop talking at all.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, she told you that? I still had my period when I was 55 but I didn't tell anyone at work. LOL. Or brag about it! Who is proud of that? WTH?

This woman sounds like a real piece of work. I wish you luck. But , yes, maybe she does need to hear some truths .....from you>?> Somebody? She can't go around sharing her prejudices and misinformation with other employees. That has to be stressful!

Quoting LauraKW:

Yup, sounds way too familiar.  Did you know she is 53 and still has her period?  I mean seriously, that is just a small sidebar from one of the many facts about her life she feels compelled to share.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I've had something similar happen. I kept trying to divert the conversation but the other woman kept bringing it right back to some very inappropriate political comments. I finally just extended my hand, introduced myself and my title. Thing was, she still didn't see anything wrong with the comments she was making so I finally had to get HR involved. It was an out of body experience tbh. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN