Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How the Stimulus plan worked

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this

Three Contractors Bid on The White House Fence  .  .  .

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House.

One is from Chicago, another is from Tennessee, and the third is from Montana. 
 All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The Montana contractor takes out a tape measure and does somemeasuring, then works some figures with a pencil.  "Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about $900.  That's $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me."

The Tennessee contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $700.  That's $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me."

The Chicago contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$2,700."

The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the
 other guys.  How did you come up with such a high figure?"

The Chicago contractor whispers back, "$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Tennessee to fix the fence."

"Done!" replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the Government Stimulus plan worked.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Is that really how you think a stimulus works?

More like the government pays you the materials and labour costs and EVERYONE benefits from the profit

Jennygurl09
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, kind of like Solyndra, right? 

Quoting turtle68:

More like the government pays you the materials and labour costs and EVERYONE benefits from the profit

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Only no one benefitted and now were in an even bigger hole than where we started - no extra jobs, more on food stamps, more debt etc.

Quoting turtle68:

CafeMom Tickers

Jennygurl09
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
5 moms liked this

The less the government touches the economy the better.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Not sure I understand where you are going with this?  What does a government grant from the department of energy (applicable to any company I presume) have to do with a stimulus plan? 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting turtle68:

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

the short version, the got 1/2 billion stimulus dollars and pretty quickly went bankrupt.  This happened with so many of the energy companies that obama gave stimulus (taxpayer) money to.

Quoting turtle68:

Not sure I understand where you are going with this?  What does a government grant from the department of energy (applicable to any company I presume) have to do with a stimulus plan? 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Our stimulus packages kept us out of the world recession.  Im all for them...obviously if they are dealt with correctly.

We were given three stimulus packages...one after tax returns, so the money we recieved from our tax return went on bills, mortgages and so forth...the bonus cheque went into the economy.  Another before xmas...went on the economy and another small one after the new year to help with the overflow of xmas and the begining of school.  I think it ended up being about 5 grand cash in all.

No additional tax rise to fund it...the money came from the federal surplus.

Quoting JCB911:

Only no one benefitted and now were in an even bigger hole than where we started - no extra jobs, more on food stamps, more debt etc.

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM

what is the meaning of a stimulus plan in the US.....I believe we have different meanings.

I read the solyndra wiki page and thought they applied for a energy grant, recieved the cash, promised the world and failed to deliver.  poor management on grant budget. 

Were energy grants proposed as a stimulus plan?  Did the public pay extra to support the stimulus plan or was the money just redirected to the energy grants?

We had something similar with money going to public schools for new halls and subsidized home insulations.  There were issues no doubt...but they had the effect they wanted....jobs, materials being bought and products that could help with the public students and houses that were more energy efficient for homeowners.  A win for everyone.

some things work ...some dont.  IMO the support they got AFTER the bankruptcy is where the government failed big time.  Not recouping any money and letting the company reopen under another name allowing them to utilized the saved taxes while at the same time not responsible for repaying any loan...well that is just really poor judgement on whoever was overseeing the grant loan.

The government should of forseen the cheaper import being the major financial stumbling block...whoever was in government when China become strong on the import front could possibly be to blame there.  JMO of course.

Quoting candlegal:

the short version, the got 1/2 billion stimulus dollars and pretty quickly went bankrupt.  This happened with so many of the energy companies that obama gave stimulus (taxpayer) money to.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting turtle68:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

More like:

Republicans think: Oh No! The Stimulus packaged work at stopping the major job loses. How can we make it look bad?

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)