Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O Post about two black boys beating up white boy, what we really should be worried about

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is from the executive order discussed in the op of the thread mentioned in the title:

excerpt from:

Quote:

Executive Order -- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

WHITE HOUSE INITIATIVE ON EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE
FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS

"However, substantial obstacles to equal educational opportunity still remain in America's educational system. African Americans lack equal access to highly effective teachers and principals, safe schools, and challenging college-preparatory classes, and they disproportionately experience school discipline and referrals to special education. African American student achievement not only lags behind that of their domestic peers by an average of two grade levels, but also behind students in almost every other developed nation. Over a third of African American students do not graduate from high school on time with a regular high school diploma, and only four percent of African American high school graduates interested in college are college-ready across a range of subjects. An even greater Why of African American males do not graduate with a regular high school diploma, and African American males also experience disparate rates of incarceration."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/26/executive-order-white-house-initiative-educational-excellence-african-am

Why do these disparities exist and what can be done about them?

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

bump

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM
8 moms liked this

Emphasizing this man

instead of this man

or this man

is who they should aspire to be.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I learned some of this in my sociology class. I think part of the problem is people don't wants to admit there is a problem. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

Quoting talia-mom:

Emphasizing this man

instead of this man

or this man

is who they should inspire to be.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I know the Seattle school districts have started a program, where all school suspension are under review by the Feds to see if there are racial reasoning behind the disproportionate of percentage of African American and Hispanic students to that of Asian and White students.

While, I'm unsure that they will find any direct links as to the reasoning for such disproportion ... I still believe the matter should be looked into, the answer is out there; but like the answer, the solution isn't going to be easy nor quick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM
4 moms liked this

Where is the White House initiative on parental excellence for African Americans...

Quoting futureshock:

This is from the executive order discussed in the op of the thread mentioned in the title:

excerpt from:

Quote:

Executive Order -- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

WHITE HOUSE INITIATIVE ON EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE
FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS

"However, substantial obstacles to equal educational opportunity still remain in America's educational system. African Americans lack equal access to highly effective teachers and principals, safe schools, and challenging college-preparatory classes, and they disproportionately experience school discipline and referrals to special education. African American student achievement not only lags behind that of their domestic peers by an average of two grade levels, but also behind students in almost every other developed nation. Over a third of African American students do not graduate from high school on time with a regular high school diploma, and only four percent of African American high school graduates interested in college are college-ready across a range of subjects. An even greater Why of African American males do not graduate with a regular high school diploma, and African American males also experience disparate rates of incarceration."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/26/executive-order-white-house-initiative-educational-excellence-african-am

Why do these disparities exist and what can be done about them?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Quoting talia-mom:

Emphasizing this man

instead of this man

or this man

is who they should aspire to be.

I can see your point here.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

I know the Seattle school districts have started a program, where all school suspension are under review by the Feds to see if there are racial reasoning behind the disproportionate of percentage of African American and Hispanic students to that of Asian and White students.

While, I'm unsure that they will find any direct links as to the reasoning for such disproportion ... I still believe the matter should be looked into, the answer is out there; but like the answer, the solution isn't going to be easy nor quick.

I caught some thing about this on the local news.  Interesting.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I'm not from the area, but I'm sure there are many school districts around the country that have the same issues.

I would too like to know the outcome of this study (review) in Seattle.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

I'm not from the area, but I'm sure there are many school districts around the country that have the same issues.

I would too like to know the outcome of this study (review) in Seattle.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Donna6503:

I am from Spokane, hanging out over this way for work for the past 5 weeks.  So looking forward to going home.  

But that is another story altogether.

I am going to keep an eye on this study, it does indeed have my interest peeked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)