Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you go to the dr when you have a cold?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 75 Replies
Ugh...I have been stuck in the house now for exactly one week, with an on again, off again very low grade fever, congestion and general yuckyness. I HATE going to the dr. for a cold. I just spend about two wasted hours of my day to see a dr. for 5 minutes who tells me I have a cold that is most likely a virus but will still send me home with a prescription for an antibiotic that I will refuse to fill. Aside from the fact it would be mostly useless on a virus and the environmental concerns, antibiotics do terrible things to my body. So a trip to the dr. leaves me no off than before. That said, my DH goes to the dr. for every little thing and has little patience for a sick spouse after the 3rd day (I actually understand that part:) ... So, what do you do?

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I don't go in unless I think there's something they can do.   Like, if I'm sure it's strep... I go in.   Sinus infection that won't clear up?   I go in.    Otherwise, I wait it out.   Which means I probably waited out the swine flu a couple years back!!   :)

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM
No I don't. All they're going to do is recommend something to treat the symptoms along with rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I stay home and treat the illness naturally.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like more than a cold.   Colds last 7-10 days, so you should be on the mind if it is a cold. 

I dont go to the doc unless I am very sick. I went Fri because I was feeling terrible and was diagnosed with strep. When I am on antibiotics, I always take a probiotic too. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
You may have a sinus infection and in that case an antibiotic would help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Typically, no. I do go if I feel a cold has settled in my chest or my sore throat pain persist longer than 4 days. It's rare that I have a cold that lasts longer than a week. Typically I start to feel better after day 4.

lga1965
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

No. I never go to the doctor if I can help it. Really. But if you have a fever, you might have the flu.

Anyway, most everything can't even be "cured" by going to the Doctor. That's why I don't go. I just drink water, orange juice,take vitamins, get extra sleep.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I only go in for a cold with complications such as asthma (because I need an inhaler) or for ear infection (that is painful). I do not want the antibiotics and when I get a cold I opt for vitamin C, fluids, and boiling salt water from which I inhale the steam.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Paperfishies:

You may have a sinus infection and in that case an antibiotic would help.

I was thinking it sounded like a sinus infection too. You could try a neti pot or I'm sure some other women here might have some natural rememdies you can try if you're opposed to antibiotics. My son and I are just getting over a cold and I didn't even bother taking him in. I did spend the several nights sleeping with him where he was coughing and wheezing.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Only if I feel my sinus issues warrant it.  Some times they do, other times not so much.

Generally, however, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)