Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

army and marines suspend tuition assistance programs; air force and navy likely to follow

Posted by   + Show Post
The army and marines have suspended their ta programs effective Friday evening. The air force and navy will likely follow suit this week.
The DoD put pressure on all branches of service to trim the fat, one program encouraged to be cut was ta programs for service members.

Gi bills can still be used, however.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (101-104):
Tish_Hughes
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I tried to use that service and the lady at transportation told me when they had cut that program about 2 years ago. I'm at Campbell.

Quoting stephy_85:

I know they quit doing it at Campbell, Stewart and Drum all at the sametime. We were at Stewart and had friends at the other locations. The soldiers were told this when they were inprocessing. There is another location that started it at the sametime but I am drawing a blank on which friend it was that told me. Is it bad that I remember friends by name and current duty station lol!

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Then, it either hasn't changed for the entire military or it's base to base options.  We were paying for our soldiers to move on post until oh about 2 weeks ago.

But, this actual cut happens at the end of every fiscal year too when funds are short.  They tried to do this when hubby was an E5.  But, luckily his professor at the time was running for Congress and made a few calls for us.  A week later, they called to say they were paying for the move.  We were very lucky though.  I know this doesn't happen for everyone.

But, we don't like how the privatized housing is run where we are at, so we've opted to stay off post for quite a few years now. 

Quoting stephy_85:

That actually changed in 2011. We pcs's Dec 2011 and while waiting for a house on post (we had to take an apartment off post) we found out that they had quit paying to move you on post once you were at the duty station. We ended up finding a house and staying off post, but even if we had moved on post it would have been at our expense.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Very educated and I think most of us understand this.  Just because we voice our views and concerns from different perspectives doesn't mean we are uneducated.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset because we have to put our education on hold.  It doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset, because we now have to pay (at least for the time being) for our moves from off post to on post ($5,000 plus if done the way the military does a local move).

Quoting mikiemom:

You do realize the halt is temporary only during sequestration. you ladies need to educate yourselves and because not many of you know what you are talking about.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Mission doesn't stop you and your supervisor doesn't approve or disapprove. I cant tell my soldier "oh, I'd like for you to go to school but sorry-gonna have to say no". If you aren't flagged or don't have any adverse actions against then you're good. What are you talking about? Good thing you aren't in or in charge of anybody cause you would be leading people all kinds of wrong.

Quoting mikiemom:

Anyone who doesn't have their supervisor's approval, has failed or withdrawn from a certain number of classes, those who are unable to due to mission need. Those in any other type of traing etc. TA is not an across the board benefit, The active duty member must apply and be accepted, the criteria for every service is probably different. It is not like the GI bill where everyone has a set benefit.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Really? Who does NOT qualify for it?

Quoting mikiemom:

Most active duty do not qualify for TA. Many are not able to use it, TA is not a benefit available to all military.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

DH is supposed to be getting forced into recruiting in the next several months.... I hate to see how negatively this will affect the recruiting quotas when all those men and women decide it isn't worth joining if they can't get the education they desire. It is going to make a lot of people's lives harder... Especially if they can't get a pell grant or scholarship OR use their GI Bill.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I didn't even notice that statement before.  You sure are right.  I have had several soldiers.  I was NEVER the approving authority.    We were always mission essential, with soldiers in 3-5 different countries at any given time and we still managed to get soldiers into school and with TA.  We even allowed soldiers to take an extra 15 min lunch so they could take lunch courses.  Our command, as long as we accomplished our given mission, always wanted to see our soldiers succeed with their course work.   We even had a soldiers doing online classes from 3 different countries.

Now, if you fail the class, you have to pay it back, but that's pretty much par for the course and whose fault is it for failling?  I've only had to pull out of classes once and I didn't have to pay that back because  it was the commands fault for scheduling me for a out of state class.  Gave a note to the TA people and everything was fine.

I was just talking to my brother, who is in the Air Force, about this tonight (who by the way got his TA cut, so he will have to wait to finish his senior year of school) and he said it works the exact same way in the Air Force as it does for the Army.  So, I suspect it works the same way for the Marine Corps and the Navy.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Mission doesn't stop you and your supervisor doesn't approve or disapprove. I cant tell my soldier "oh, I'd like for you to go to school but sorry-gonna have to say no". If you aren't flagged or don't have any adverse actions against then you're good. What are you talking about? Good thing you aren't in or in charge of anybody cause you would be leading people all kinds of wrong.

Quoting mikiemom:

Anyone who doesn't have their supervisor's approval, has failed or withdrawn from a certain number of classes, those who are unable to due to mission need. Those in any other type of traing etc. TA is not an across the board benefit, The active duty member must apply and be accepted, the criteria for every service is probably different. It is not like the GI bill where everyone has a set benefit.

Quoting Woodbabe:

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM

How sad that the government will cut funds for the men and women who risk their lives. Yet, politicians keep getting big fat paychecks. The priorities in Washington are screwed up, and the regular American people will end up paying for their stupidity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)