Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

army and marines suspend tuition assistance programs; air force and navy likely to follow

Posted by   + Show Post
The army and marines have suspended their ta programs effective Friday evening. The air force and navy will likely follow suit this week.
The DoD put pressure on all branches of service to trim the fat, one program encouraged to be cut was ta programs for service members.

Gi bills can still be used, however.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
Binkys_Buttons
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I probably should clarify, I'm not miltary. I just deal with tricare daily when they send money to my company paying for bennefits, or dealling me what to do with deductibled. I often have to call them and ask for account numbers, or ssn or what code thus money is paying for. They are always rude, less then helpful and well rude. It's not my fault that YOU didn't send enough info to post this money to the correct person. My bad..... Ugh I'm getting all hot and bothered thinking about it.

Quoting carlyshort:

From what we were told it would be directly affecting the military and retired military and their families.

-higher out of pocket costs

- frozen or cancelled referrals

- longer waits for appts and doctors receiving less money for providing care

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

They should start with the accounts payable dept. I work for a large medical supply company in the dept that posts the monies that come with eob. I hate tricare/west. Least helpful people ever.

Quoting carlyshort:

Tricare, the healthcare service provider for vets, and military and their families was not protected and also could be facing cuts in the coming weeks

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Hey as long as Congress still gets to use private jets to go back and forth to their families, Michelle Obama gets to have Adele and Beyonce sing at her big 50th Birthday Bash next week, and we can afford to send a bazillion dollars in aid to Egypt....right?

Screw the military benefits, they're just lowly cannon fodder anyway.

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I hear ya. I'm so disgusted with our leadership. Gotta go vomit now. Ughhh

Quoting Woodbabe:

Hey as long as Congress still gets to use private jets to go back and forth to their families, Michelle Obama gets to have Adele and Beyonce sing at her big 50th Birthday Bash next week, and we can afford to send a bazillion dollars in aid to Egypt....right?

Screw the military benefits, they're just lowly cannon fodder anyway.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
4 moms liked this

And you know, not a single General will have a dollar of benefits cut back, or be encouraged to retire...

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

what would you prefer they cut the military DoD Has  A MANDETORY 13 to 20% cut to their top-line budget. TA is a nice to have non-critical program.

carlyshort
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this
The military puts a lot of emphasis on education for promotions. And ta was a benefit that service personnel are basically promised upon entering the service.

The DoD wastes so much money. They should probably consider those first before yanking service benefits.

Quoting mikiemom:

what would you prefer they cut the military DoD Has  A MANDETORY 13 to 20% cut to their top-line budget. TA is a nice to have non-critical program.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

TA is not the only benefit being cut. Yes there is much that can be cut and TA is one of those things. GI bill still exists, the regular training budget still exists. Not a damn one of you people know what you are talking about. The whole lot of you are talking out your asses.

Quoting carlyshort:

The military puts a lot of emphasis on education for promotions. And ta was a benefit that service personnel are basically promised upon entering the service.

The DoD wastes so much money. They should probably consider those first before yanking service benefits.

Quoting mikiemom:

carlyshort
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Angry much?

It may not be the only program but they shouldn't go after the benefits that service members use.the very same people that they send into fight, a benefit that is part of a soldiers pay and benefit package, a promised benefit to so many who enlisted.

I know exactly what I am talking about and I gave a right to feel a little disgruntled about my benefits not my husband's but mine.

Quoting mikiemom:

TA is not the only benefit being cut. Yes there is much that can be cut and TA is one of those things. GI bill still exists, the regular training budget still exists. Not a damn one of you people know what you are talking about. The whole lot of you are talking out your asses.

Quoting carlyshort:

Quoting mikiemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

so they should cut critical programs before TA nice nope not angry just annoyed by the ignorance. Again, TA is a nice to have benefit, it is not a critical program by any means, it should be amongst the first to be cut.

Quoting carlyshort:

Angry much?

It may not be the only program but they shouldn't go after the benefits that service members use.

I know exactly what I am talking about and I gave a right to feel a little disgruntled about my benefits not my husband's but mine.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting carlyshort:

Quoting mikiemom:

carlyshort
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM
6 moms liked this
Are you military?

A service members pay and benefits should be left alone when Obama swore they wouldn't be touched.why should we continue to fund federal Pell grants? If tuition assistance should be cut why do we not cut Pell? They're going yo make cuts to tricare, why are we not slashing Medicaid?

Military pay and benefits should have been protected just like congress and the benefits of the poor

Quoting mikiemom:

so they should cut critical programs before TA nice nope not angry just annoyed by the ignorance. Again, TA is a nice to have benefit, it is not a critical program by any means, it should be amongst the first to be cut.

Quoting carlyshort:

Angry much?

It may not be the only program but they shouldn't go after the benefits that service members use.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting carlyshort:

Quoting mikiemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN