Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

army and marines suspend tuition assistance programs; air force and navy likely to follow

Posted by   + Show Post
The army and marines have suspended their ta programs effective Friday evening. The air force and navy will likely follow suit this week.
The DoD put pressure on all branches of service to trim the fat, one program encouraged to be cut was ta programs for service members.

Gi bills can still be used, however.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Do you have link for this information.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM
That is odd. We are in the west region, so I didn't realize North and South were different. How strange.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

But only for the West Region.

North & South will remain Tricare.

(Which I think is odd)

Quoting JMmama:

Nope. It starts April 1.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

UHC will be our new provider. I believe that starts in the new Fiscal year this October. Not sure but I think that is correct. I am positive on the new contractor just not sure of the start date. 

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

They should start with the accounts payable dept. I work for a large medical supply company in the dept that posts the monies that come with eob. I hate tricare/west. Least helpful people ever.

Quoting carlyshort:

Tricare, the healthcare service provider for vets, and military and their families was not protected and also could be facing cuts in the coming weeks

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree.  While, true it's a non-critical program, with the downsizing of the military, that is really the only way for a soldier to stand apart from the field and get promoted/advancement/special assignments.  When my hubby got picked up for WO.  He eventually met people who worked on the board.  He asked how he got picked amongst all the other people.  They told him because he had his masters degree.  We couldn't afford to pay for that without TA.

What is even worse is, the junior enlisted soldiers who likely are working on their BA degrees, will have a hard time.  If you use your GI Bill while on active duty, you don't get as much as if you used it after you got out.  I don't know the exact number, but just as an example.  When I was active duty (years ago), I had to pay for one semester on my GI BIll.  I was suppose to collect $800 per month, but because I was active duty, they only paid $350 (ish) per month.

How sad is that?

Quoting carlyshort:

The military puts a lot of emphasis on education for promotions. And ta was a benefit that service personnel are basically promised upon entering the service.

The DoD wastes so much money. They should probably consider those first before yanking service benefits.

Quoting mikiemom:

what would you prefer they cut the military DoD Has  A MANDETORY 13 to 20% cut to their top-line budget. TA is a nice to have non-critical program.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

clapping

Yeah, I didn't get it either.  You were right on the money about the TA.  Health care is going to the pits too.   But, that has been going on for years.  Last year, it took me 59 days to get an appointment.  It's stupid awful.  Took me 9 months to get a referrel to a pediotrist (sp??).  And, that is supposedly good.

GI Bill does exist, but active duty soldiers get paid a lower rate if they use it while they are active duty. 

:(

Quoting carlyshort:

Angry much?

It may not be the only program but they shouldn't go after the benefits that service members use.the very same people that they send into fight, a benefit that is part of a soldiers pay and benefit package, a promised benefit to so many who enlisted.

I know exactly what I am talking about and I gave a right to feel a little disgruntled about my benefits not my husband's but mine.

Quoting mikiemom:

TA is not the only benefit being cut. Yes there is much that can be cut and TA is one of those things. GI bill still exists, the regular training budget still exists. Not a damn one of you people know what you are talking about. The whole lot of you are talking out your asses.

Quoting carlyshort:

The military puts a lot of emphasis on education for promotions. And ta was a benefit that service personnel are basically promised upon entering the service.

The DoD wastes so much money. They should probably consider those first before yanking service benefits.

Quoting mikiemom:

what would you prefer they cut the military DoD Has  A MANDETORY 13 to 20% cut to their top-line budget. TA is a nice to have non-critical program.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Okay.  Then, when we have a bunch of uneducated soldiers getting out because of the downsizing and they can't get a job, then we'll just put them all on PA.

There is nothing ignorant about having a difference of opinion on what should be cut and what should be left alone.

Quoting mikiemom:

so they should cut critical programs before TA nice nope not angry just annoyed by the ignorance. Again, TA is a nice to have benefit, it is not a critical program by any means, it should be amongst the first to be cut.

Quoting carlyshort:

Angry much?

It may not be the only program but they shouldn't go after the benefits that service members use.

I know exactly what I am talking about and I gave a right to feel a little disgruntled about my benefits not my husband's but mine.

Quoting mikiemom:

TA is not the only benefit being cut. Yes there is much that can be cut and TA is one of those things. GI bill still exists, the regular training budget still exists. Not a damn one of you people know what you are talking about. The whole lot of you are talking out your asses.

Quoting carlyshort:

Quoting mikiemom:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I just got the letter about UHC.  They change over is actually 1 April.  That is also the new turn over date for Metlife (dental).

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

UHC will be our new provider. I believe that starts in the new Fiscal year this October. Not sure but I think that is correct. I am positive on the new contractor just not sure of the start date. 

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

They should start with the accounts payable dept. I work for a large medical supply company in the dept that posts the monies that come with eob. I hate tricare/west. Least helpful people ever.

Quoting carlyshort:

Tricare, the healthcare service provider for vets, and military and their families was not protected and also could be facing cuts in the coming weeks

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Oh you just wait.  They reassigned my doctor.  When I called to make an appointment with her, it took three weeks because they would only hire her "part-time".  Thankfully since then, she's come on full time because two other doctors left.  But, I just never heard of a part time doctor.

Quoting Lorriane:

Quoting carlyshort:

I know that cuts need to be mad to try and balance the budget but it is not right to cut any portion of Tricare. These cuts could and most likely will hit the retires and their spouses that have no other medical care. My 93 yr old Grandfather served in the Navy durning WWII and is a Pearl Harbor survivor and after WWII joined the Air Force and did 20+ years there. His generation of military retires do not get social security/medicare unless they got a job after getting out worked long enough to be able to claim it. This is not how we should be treating those that sacrificed so much and seen things that most could not have handled at all.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM

What usually happens, at least for hubby and I, while active duty, we used TA to help pay for our degrees.  Sometimes there are gaps, because it caps out per fiscal year.  Anyhow, we usually had to pay ahead (often on a credit card) to prevent gaps in schooling (get what you can before they transfer you again).  Apply for GI Bill assistance, they have to make sure your program is an accredited program.  Usually, no less than 3 months later they finally get around to approving it.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I've heard it is difficult to even get the GI Bill benefits for school unless you are retired. I don't know how true that is. It's all in all a sad thing to see go.

Quoting carlyshort:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

DH is supposed to be getting forced into recruiting in the next several months.... I hate to see how negatively this will affect the recruiting quotas when all those men and women decide it isn't worth joining if they can't get the education they desire. It is going to make a lot of people's lives harder... Especially if they can't get a pell grant or scholarship OR use their GI Bill.

The GI bill is protected under the VA so they cannot slash those, however it typicaly isn't useful for servicemembers to use their GI bills while on active duty because you only get it for x amount of months. People typically use TA to take a class or two in between deployments and then save their GI bill for later use.

However single servicemembers will likely not qualify fo income based aid.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM
MetLife turned over awhile ago, at least a year. My kids have had 2 cleanings since the MetLife switch.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I just got the letter about UHC.  They change over is actually 1 April.  That is also the new turn over date for Metlife (dental).

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

Quoting carlyshort:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM

We are probably the hamster trials......LOL

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

But only for the West Region.

North & South will remain Tricare.

(Which I think is odd)

Quoting JMmama:

Nope. It starts April 1.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

Quoting carlyshort:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)