Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you keep your kids out of school if they have hair lice? *Update in red*

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 58 Replies

So my kids, ages 8 and almost 4, love to play in a neighborhood park with my oldest's school mates after school every day. My little DD is very close to one of the preschoolers and plays with her every day at this park. I was talking with her father on Friday about making a playdate this weekend at his suggestion. We had decided that Sunday would be best.

Then he proceeds to tell me that on Saturday (yesterday) they had a professional "nit picker" coming to thier house because his little DD has had a bad case of head lice that they cannot correct for the past two weeks! And it has spread to his wife! And that he let her keep her hair down because she fusses too much if they put it up, even though she swings and handles her long hair all day long.

I then told him that we were very cautious about head lice because my oldest has such long hair (she always wears it in tight braids to school) she does not want to cut and that we would postpone the play date until his daughter was cleared. He seemed offended.

That evening, I found a single lice on my youngest DD's head. I immediatly treated her hair and have found no lice or nits since, so I am hoping this was a single transfer from Friday's playtime.

But geez Luis.....aren't you supposed to keep your kid home if they have a lice infestation?

*Update* So the professional NitPickers came to his house over the weekend and they are now declaired lice free with a 30 day guarantee! LOL. He seemed contrite about Friday. We seem to be lice free. But I guess I won't really know for sure if I missed a nit until a week from now. So for now, everything is OK...But I will question this Dad's judgement from now on.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manifer_momma
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Yes! Lice spread very easily, it's only common sense to keep kids home until they're cleared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Yuck. My kids have never had it but I would keep them home until it was taken care of. Our school doesn't require kids with lice to stay home anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Oh my gosh.... 

I'd keep my kids home if they had lice..

I never had lice as a child.. I hope to get as lucky with my own children..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM
4 moms liked this

My son's school forbids kids to attend school when they have lice. Who the hell would send their kids to school when they know they have lice??

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

What the is wrong with people! Of course they should keep their kids home.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM
4 moms liked this

That is EXTREMELY irresponsible!  Keep your child home until that lice is gone and you are certain of it.

A few years ago, my youngest ended up with lice.  First time and I was pissed!  We found out that the Granddaughter of my former FIL's girlfriend had it.  She was at our house and her my youngest were very close.  Had I known about it, and I sure as hell should have, she would not have been any where near my kiddo or our house.

I was thankful her hair was short at that time.  It was hell but damn if I did not take the time to ensure we took care of it and to ensure it was gone.  Not just on her head either..............the entire house.

When a child has lice they are not supposed to be in school.

Just reading this pisses me off.  

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yes if they have lice I would keep them home.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM
You don't have to cut your hair to get rid of lice, so I'm not sure why you are concerned about that.

But yes if my kids ever contracted lice, they would be home until after they were treated. -Which would be the day I discovered they had lice!

Wash everything in HOT water. Anything like stuffed animals or decorative pillows, should be sprayed with the lice spray then packed away for a few weeks in trash bags with as much air squeezed out as possible.

Vacuum all carpets, rugs, etc very frequently.

The shampoo kills the live bugs, but the only thing that removes the nits is going through strand by strand and pulling them out.

My BIL shared custody of my niece with his ex and we battled lice for about two and a half years when we shared an apt, because her mother never would do the repeat treatment on the 10th day, nor treat her other kids or herself!!! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I have boys and they've all been told how to prevent lice (no sharing hats or toques is the big one for them), and that if they do get it they'll be getting a VERY short buzz cut.

The biggest thing is cleaning the house though. You can treat the persons hair, but if you don't clean their bedding, stuffed toys, etc, they'll end up with it again.

Thankfully we haven't had to deal with lice (knocks on wood)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
At my daughters school, if you have lice, you are not allowed to return until a doctor has cleared your child and they have been lice and nit free for 72 hours.

I would be so damn pissed at that guy, if I were you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN