Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Prepping for NYC's Ban on Large Sugary Drinks

Posted by   + Show Post

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2013/03/08/prepping-for-nycs-ban-on-large-sugary-drinks/?hpt=us_t4

What do you think about this Ban on Lrg Sugary drinks ?

Should ALL states do this ?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

It's stupid really.  If someone wanted a larger drink, they'd simply buy more than one.  I live in NYC and personally, I don't see the big deal of the ban but I also don't drink that much soda in one sitting.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

So freaking stupid.  So you can't buy a 32oz soda?  You can just buy 4 8oz sodas.  Come the fuck on. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Agreed.  Dyes, additives, chemicals, GMOs, these are what we should be banning from our foods.  The food companies should be banned from using these things, individuals should not be banned from consuming products. 

Quoting LIMom1105:

No. I don't agree with this one at all. Why not ban food coloring first? Probably it's in too many foods. If people want it, they'll still get it.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think its ridiculous and it opens the door for even more absurd govt involvement when they just need to mind their own fucking business.

If people want to drink sugary drinks and risk their health, they should be allowed to. The govt sucks.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM

No, I don't agree with it.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think the ban is ridiculous and pointless.  No, I don't think all states should do this.  It's an individual's responsibility to moderate their sugar intake and that of their families... not the government's. 

Grainia
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I don't give a flying f*k about this.

inspain
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Yes!  Do it!  I love it!  

But, then, we don't drink that shit, so we don't really care if they ban the large drinks.  

Listen, it's not like they're banning soda altogether, just the large size.  Those cups never fit in my car's holders anyway, so it's no great loss.

FoodIsLife
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think I'll wait to see the statistics on how this works out before I concrete my opinion.

storkradio193
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I don't like the law or the need/desire for it, but I understand it's intention.  We live in a world where individual choices effect the greater whole and we struggle with how to deal with these issues.  Sugary drinks can provide a rather large percentage of calories for many people that then contribute to numerous health issues that cost all people more. 

Many of the great debates in our society and no cafemom right now relate to how individual choices are really only partially individual, as many choices effect all people.  I imagine such debates will continue forever.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)