Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Prepping for NYC's Ban on Large Sugary Drinks

Posted by   + Show Post

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2013/03/08/prepping-for-nycs-ban-on-large-sugary-drinks/?hpt=us_t4

What do you think about this Ban on Lrg Sugary drinks ?

Should ALL states do this ?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

ITA, and I would support a ban on these things in foods above sugar in drinks. My son bounces off the walls if he has food coloring, but I don't see this reaction from sugar alone. And bottom line, food colorings and additives are not good for anyone.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Agreed.  Dyes, additives, chemicals, GMOs, these are what we should be banning from our foods.  The food companies should be banned from using these things, individuals should not be banned from consuming products. 

Quoting LIMom1105:

No. I don't agree with this one at all. Why not ban food coloring first? Probably it's in too many foods. If people want it, they'll still get it.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No. The govt needs to get their nose out of it. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

So it's okay when they ban something you enjoy because others don't use it or consume it?

Quoting inspain:

Yes!  Do it!  I love it!  

But, then, we don't drink that shit, so we don't really care if they ban the large drinks.  

Listen, it's not like they're banning soda altogether, just the large size.  Those cups never fit in my car's holders anyway, so it's no great loss.

FoodIsLife
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I like this... most people drinking too much sodas and what not are doing so at home. And having a to-go cup makes ot all worse. I walys refill it before I leave, even if I really didn't need or want more.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

So people can still buy the larger quantities at supermarkets and drink more at home. 

What about restaurants that offer free refills.  I get a smaller glass to start with but then I have 5 refills, which is way more than I would have had if I had a larger glass and 1 refill.  

When I go to fast food places I usually get a Sprite to start with and then before we leave I refill my cup with ice water to take with me.  I like the large cups because they are usually plastic so they hold up better and last a little longer than the paper ones. 

specialwingz
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think the government has bigger issues to focus on instead of what people should or should not be allowed to eat/drink.

What I find funny is most of the people who are supporting this government "involvement" are the very same ones who say our government shouldn't be involved in our health care.

C'mon, people!  You either want government involvement or you don't!  You can'r it both ways!

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

if you refill and don't want it, your problem is you have no control or willpower.

Quoting FoodIsLife:

I like this... most people drinking too much sodas and what not are doing so at home. And having a to-go cup makes ot all worse. I walys refill it before I leave, even if I really didn't need or want more.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

So people can still buy the larger quantities at supermarkets and drink more at home. 

What about restaurants that offer free refills.  I get a smaller glass to start with but then I have 5 refills, which is way more than I would have had if I had a larger glass and 1 refill.  

When I go to fast food places I usually get a Sprite to start with and then before we leave I refill my cup with ice water to take with me.  I like the large cups because they are usually plastic so they hold up better and last a little longer than the paper ones. 

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think it's ridiculous. 

It doesn't accomplish anything meaningful whatsoever, with the added bonus of pissing people off. Lovely. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I agree ! Excellent.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Agreed.  Dyes, additives, chemicals, GMOs, these are what we should be banning from our foods.  The food companies should be banned from using these things, individuals should not be banned from consuming products. 

Quoting LIMom1105:

No. I don't agree with this one at all. Why not ban food coloring first? Probably it's in too many foods. If people want it, they'll still get it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So if I am hearing this correctly I can still get as much alcohol that I want but I can not have a Large coke, how stupid can people get.. Heck no other states should not do this

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN