Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Prepping for NYC's Ban on Large Sugary Drinks

Posted by   + Show Post

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2013/03/08/prepping-for-nycs-ban-on-large-sugary-drinks/?hpt=us_t4

What do you think about this Ban on Lrg Sugary drinks ?

Should ALL states do this ?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I always buy a small fountain pop when at a fast food restaurant because I can always go back for more if I want more...If I had to buy it in bottles while out to eat, that's a different story- I always buy the small bottles of pop...The only thing that pisses me off is when you go to a sit down restaurant and order a pop(most of its ice more than pop) then when you ask for more, you get told you need to pay for a whole nother glass of pop if you want it...thats bs.

nina.burnham89
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Read this a couple of days ago and just still cannot believe it.... I dont even drink soda anymore so its not like it would even affect me, and i see how they are aiming to crush obesity. But god damn, talk about chains and shackles 

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I think it is one of the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Not because of the size limit, but because they did not put the same ban on DIET sodas. Is Bloomberg that much of an idiot not to know diet soda does more damage to a body that any regular soda ever would? I think Bloomberg is power hungry and has now decided he can tell 8 million people what they should and should not do. Hell, he even changed term limits so he could serve twelve instead of eight. Insane. I do not even freaking like soda, but I am smart enough to know juice and many other drinks are AS BAD as soda.

FoodIsLife
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I hate waste, it usually becomes a "save it for later" drink and goes into the fridge.

Quoting talia-mom:

if you refill and don't want it, your problem is you have no control or willpower.

Quoting FoodIsLife:

I like this... most people drinking too much sodas and what not are doing so at home. And having a to-go cup makes ot all worse. I walys refill it before I leave, even if I really didn't need or want more.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

So people can still buy the larger quantities at supermarkets and drink more at home. 

What about restaurants that offer free refills.  I get a smaller glass to start with but then I have 5 refills, which is way more than I would have had if I had a larger glass and 1 refill.  

When I go to fast food places I usually get a Sprite to start with and then before we leave I refill my cup with ice water to take with me.  I like the large cups because they are usually plastic so they hold up better and last a little longer than the paper ones. 

inspain
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Sure.  If it's something that isn't healthy and they're merely banning the Jumbo-sized version of it and not completely removing my ability to consume the item, what's the problem?    

I have a friend who likes to say that, as an American, she should have every right to do stupid things that aren't good for her.  I always point out that, while relentlessly abusing this "right" of hers (2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew, one pound sacks of chips, cigarettes, alcohol and so on.), she still insists that drugs should be illegal.  Diabetes and obesity are at least as costly to society as drug addiction.

And, besides, since I did stray to the subject of illegal substances, marajuana is "banned" and not just the Super-sized bags and yet I still manage to get my hands on all the marajuana I want.  See?  Where there's a will, there's a way.  All you need to do is buy TWO cups!  ;-)

Quoting talia-mom:

So it's okay when they ban something you enjoy because others don't use it or consume it?

Quoting inspain:

Yes!  Do it!  I love it!  

But, then, we don't drink that shit, so we don't really care if they ban the large drinks.  

Listen, it's not like they're banning soda altogether, just the large size.  Those cups never fit in my car's holders anyway, so it's no great loss.

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't know that they will buy more than one.  Who's going to go to the movies and get two or three drinks?  That said, I'm not sure I agree with laws like this.  I don't think anyone needs that much soda, but I don't know that the government should be regulating it.

Quoting lga1965:

If a person who NEEDS a huge sugary drink wants to guzzle 24 ounces, whatever, they will just buy TWO or THREE of them so it isn't going to work.

There is no way we can help those who will not help themselves. If they want to gain weight , risk diabetes ,heart disease and losing teeth due to decay and vitamin deficiencies, from choosing to fill themselves with sugar, let 'em.

lga1965
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM
People have said ..... In this thread .....that they would buy two or three and that it's a stupid law, stupid idea.
I don't drink soda or pop anymore.
But even if people are told that too much soda is bad for them ,will they listen ? No. Nobody listens to advice about the health risks of too much sugar and obesity.
Quoting PamR:

I don't know that they will buy more than one.  Who's going to go to the movies and get two or three drinks?  That said, I'm not sure I agree with laws like this.  I don't think anyone needs that much soda, but I don't know that the government should be regulating it.

Quoting lga1965:

If a person who NEEDS a huge sugary drink wants to guzzle 24 ounces, whatever, they will just buy TWO or THREE of them so it isn't going to work.

There is no way we can help those who will not help themselves. If they want to gain weight , risk diabetes ,heart disease and losing teeth due to decay and vitamin deficiencies, from choosing to fill themselves with sugar, let 'em.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Pam on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Given what they charge at a movie theater for a soft drink, there's no way I'd go for more than one!

Quoting lga1965:

People have said ..... In this thread .....that they would buy two or three and that it's a stupid idea.
I don't drink soda or pop anymore. But even if people are told that too much soda is bad for them ,will they listen ? No. Nobody listens to advice about the health risks of too much sugar and obesity.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting lga1965:

lga1965
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Yup. I bring a bottle of water,hidden in my purse. No sodas.

Quoting PamR:

Given what they charge at a movie theater for a soft drink, there's no way I'd go for more than one!

Quoting lga1965:

People have said ..... In this thread .....that they would buy two or three and that it's a stupid idea.

I don't drink soda or pop anymore. But even if people are told that too much soda is bad for them ,will they listen ? No. Nobody listens to advice about the health risks of too much sugar and obesity.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny2nv
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM
More government, governing the wrong things. This is sick, sad and scary
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN