Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce

Posted by   + Show Post

Hormones and/or hormone-mimicking chemicals are omnipresent environmental contaminants. Already found in places as varied as our teeth (dental sealant) to our paper products (receipts, money), our meat to our canned foods, new research now indicates that even fresh, whole vegetables and fruits are no longer immune to this growing biological and chemical threat.

A newly released study has found that a variety of substances with hormone-disrupting properties now widely contaminate commercially available fresh vegetables and fruits, in some cases at concentrations exceeding the recommended acceptable daily intake (ADI) for children as recommended by the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA).

Published this month in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers at the Indian River Research and Education Center, University of Florida/IFAS, found the synthetic endocrine-disrupting chemicals bisphenol A (BPA), nonylphenol (NP), and the natural steroidal estrogen 17-β-estradiol, in vegetables and fruits randomly sampled from local markets, using gas chromotagraphy with tandem mass spectrometry.[i]

According to the researchers, the “BPA was detected in all vegetable and fruit samples, ranging from 0.2±0.1 to 9.0±4.9 µg kg-1, indicating significant exposure potential for humans.”  Nonylphenol (NP), a chemical in the alkylphenol class mainly used to manufacturer detergents, was detected in pumpkin, sweet potato, citrus, and apple samples. Concentrations of 17-β-estradiol in vegetables and fruits ranged from 1.3±0.4 to 2.2±1.0 µg kg-1 except those in tomato and strawberry.

Notably, the highest concentrations of BPA were found in potatoes, lettuce contained the highest concentration of natural estrogens, and pumpkin the highest concentration of alkylphenols (APs).

How Did These Chemicals End Up In Our Food?

The answer is wastewater and sewage sludge — two things that, as many would be surprised to find, are commonly used to grow our food. While wastewater may contain as much as 95% water, the other 5% remaining is a biological and chemical atrocity. Even the sewage used in this degenerate, albeit highly productive (though unsustainable), form of farming has been renamed and transformed euphemistically into “biosolids,” to make it somehow sound more palatable.

The reuse of wastewater for irrigation of agricultural land is a well established practice that introduces many contaminants into our environment and crops including pharmaceuticals, hormones and personal care products.

Wastewater may contain human sewage, industrial site drainage, toxic waste (e.g. pesticide manufacturing), petroleum waste products or byproducts, for instance.

Article Resources

http://wakeup-world.com/2013/02/22/human-and-synthetic-hormones-now-contaminate-fresh-produce/

Thoughts?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Yeah... science reporting is often more invective than fact, going for the outrage or the fear.

Quoting stormcris:

I think if falls under hormone mimicking 

Quoting LindaClement:

BPA is a hormone now? Amazing, this sciencey-shit...

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

You'd be surprised ... any time someone doesn't care much for my opinion, they tend to ask me if I don't have goats to go tend to, accuse me of having lived in the woods and out of touch for too long, etc. The fact that I'm college educated and worked in a veterinary medical field for years doesn't mean squat lol.

Quoting kiriis:

Why the hell would someone make fun of that!? I LOVE going and getting fresh veggies and fruit at my Papa's farm, he always grows more kinds than the stores carry.

Quoting Farmlady09:

This is why I have my farm ~ and why I could care less about the opinion of people who make fun of it or toss me snarky comments about my education.

The sad truth is that most of what the government claims is safe ~ isn't. Not our food, not our medicine, not the household products being sold, and not what is pumped into the air, the water, and the soil. I refuse to kill myself slowly, or accelerate the process by eating and/or using what is deemed 'safe' by a flawed and biased regulatory agency (actually, several of them). After a decade of being free of most of these 'safe' things, my health is a testament to what is really safe. I live that difference ~ and I resent what is all around me that I have to accept because so many people want 'cheap' at any cost, even that of their health and lives.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a learning curve ~ even with both DH and I coming from farming families and my veterinary background. Right now we produce roughly 84% of our own food, the exception being grains, a few spices, and tree fruit. This year my own orchard should cover the fruit, and I'm experimenting with more grains. I only have five acres, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to cover the animals and us as far as grains (I don't use much for them, and a lot of that is sprouted ~ mostly they are on pasture). We'll see.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

If I had the means and know how on farming... I'd do it too! 

Quoting Farmlady09:

This is why I have my farm ~ and why I could care less about the opinion of people who make fun of it or toss me snarky comments about my education.

The sad truth is that most of what the government claims is safe ~ isn't. Not our food, not our medicine, not the household products being sold, and not what is pumped into the air, the water, and the soil. I refuse to kill myself slowly, or accelerate the process by eating and/or using what is deemed 'safe' by a flawed and biased regulatory agency (actually, several of them). After a decade of being free of most of these 'safe' things, my health is a testament to what is really safe. I live that difference ~ and I resent what is all around me that I have to accept because so many people want 'cheap' at any cost, even that of their health and lives.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Look, I don't agree with you very often, but on this I've got your back. If anyone bugs you like that, tell me and I'll come after them along with ya. I have no patience for people who don't respect farming- real farming. The kind that doesn't require two weeks in the spring and two weeks at harvest to get a big government check like most of the 'farmers' do around here.

And if you do have goats, give them a pat for me.

Quoting Farmlady09:

You'd be surprised ... any time someone doesn't care much for my opinion, they tend to ask me if I don't have goats to go tend to, accuse me of having lived in the woods and out of touch for too long, etc. The fact that I'm college educated and worked in a veterinary medical field for years doesn't mean squat lol.

Quoting kiriis:

Why the hell would someone make fun of that!? I LOVE going and getting fresh veggies and fruit at my Papa's farm, he always grows more kinds than the stores carry.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever seen the British Sitcom The Good Life? It was labeled Good Neighbors here in the states.

If not, it's kind of a fun one to watch. About a guy and his wife who decide to leave 'the system' and start raising their own food- in a suburb of London. Annoys their neighbors, etc. Pretty good time.

Quoting Farmlady09:

It's a learning curve ~ even with both DH and I coming from farming families and my veterinary background. Right now we produce roughly 84% of our own food, the exception being grains, a few spices, and tree fruit. This year my own orchard should cover the fruit, and I'm experimenting with more grains. I only have five acres, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to cover the animals and us as far as grains (I don't use much for them, and a lot of that is sprouted ~ mostly they are on pasture). We'll see.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Thanks ~ although it really doesn't bother me lol. And yes, I have goats. A herd of Nubians ... with a few who are still young enough to be positively adorable (and fit in my lap). They accept pats and scritches and treats from just about anybody :-)

Quoting Raintree:

Look, I don't agree with you very often, but on this I've got your back. If anyone bugs you like that, tell me and I'll come after them along with ya. I have no patience for people who don't respect farming- real farming. The kind that doesn't require two weeks in the spring and two weeks at harvest to get a big government check like most of the 'farmers' do around here.

And if you do have goats, give them a pat for me.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting kiriis:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No, but we don't have cable. I'll see if I can find it on Netflix or YouTube ... it sounds interesting :-)

Quoting Raintree:

Have you ever seen the British Sitcom The Good Life? It was labeled Good Neighbors here in the states.

If not, it's kind of a fun one to watch. About a guy and his wife who decide to leave 'the system' and start raising their own food- in a suburb of London. Annoys their neighbors, etc. Pretty good time.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting Farmlady09:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Isn't this one of the suggested reasons that our children seem to be entering puberty earlier?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That's why we only eat organic, small farm grown.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM

BPA has.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Isn't this one of the suggested reasons that our children seem to be entering puberty earlier?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN