Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe A Visual To Explain Why Our Healthcare System Needed To Be Fixed!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words. 

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM
4 moms liked this

In the 'greatest country on earth.'

Appalling.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep.  Anyone that thinks it is going to be better after Obamacare is sadly mistaken. 

flprincessmom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM
4 moms liked this

Everyone should be entitled to Health Care....whether they can afford to pay for it or not....preventative care is key....doctor

Peanutx3
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Wow

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

So sad...........yet so true.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

It's a great step in the right direction though.

Hopefully the future molds it and changes things and makes it even better and better untill it is something that works.

If we could get the outragious cost that hospitals attach to some of their bills it would go a long way. Some hospitals mark things up to 50 times what they cost. Making a pill for cancer that cost 14 dollars end up costing a patient nearly 700 dollars makes no sense. I am talking medication and supplies here-Not the actual service the doctor performs.

Obamacare is not perfect. But a step in the right direction. Hopefully time and future Presidents can help us continue to take steps in the right direction when it comes to our healthcare system.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yep.  Anyone that thinks it is going to be better after Obamacare is sadly mistaken. 

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

We do need health care reform, I am just not sure Obamacare is the answer.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That depicts me to a tee.  I was gainfully employed in my career.  Struck with stage III colon cancer.  Out so long, they had to replace me.  Had to move to another state where my dd lived so she could help me through it all and help with her twin brothers who were just starting middle school.

COBRA only allowed me to be covered for 18 months.  Then, they raised my premiums to the point I couldn't afford them (over $1k per month).  So, they dropped me.

No insurance.  Quarterly CT-scans are $3k each.  Bi-annual P.E.T. scans are $4k each.  Monthly bloodwork is $500.  Bi-annual colonoscopy is $5k for procedure, then tack on surgeon's fee and out patient facility fees.

So, there's over $36k worth of medical needs.  And, I didn't even include chemotherapy.  Yet, because I live with my DD, I am not allowed PA.  And, insurance provided with any employer will not cover me because I have a pre-existing condition.

So, is it any wonder that my dd and the rest of my family are scared out of their wits that I just might die because we can't afford the expenses and insurance companies choose to not cover me???

I'm only 53 years old.  I'm not done living yet.  But, insurance companies like to think I am.  Right along with the people who don't want things to change.  =/

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  Nothing could be further from the truth.   It's a horrible step in the wrong direction.  It only benefits insurance companies who are raking in even more billions in profit.   Penalties on everyone who cannot pay helps nobody. 

That mark-up you mention is because of insurance company games.  Rate hike reported on even pro-dem news sources indicate insurance company increases of 25%+ on premiums.

We need to dismantle insurance companies, and go direct, bypassing the middleman, and paying only reasonable costs.  Somehow.  

Here is who is really benefiting from Obamacare:  1) Insurance companies, since everyone is forced to buy, premiums are increasing dramatically for all, to cover the riskiest.      2) Hospitals, who will get paid now, and not have all the writeoffs.   3) the "Wellness" businesses, since insurance companies are now playing Big Brother, invasively inserting themselves into the private lives of the insured.  And 4) Government to control compliance and go after offenders who cannot pay.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

It's a great step in the right direction though.

Hopefully the future molds it and changes things and makes it even better and better untill it is something that works.

If we could get the outragious cost that hospitals attach to some of their bills it would go a long way. Some hospitals mark things up to 50 times what they cost. Making a pill for cancer that cost 14 dollars end up costing a patient nearly 700 dollars makes no sense. I am talking medication and supplies here-Not the actual service the doctor performs.

Obamacare is not perfect. But a step in the right direction. Hopefully time and future Presidents can help us continue to take steps in the right direction when it comes to our healthcare system.

Quoting TranquilMind:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Wow.  So sorry about what you are going through.

How are you not eligible for Medicaid?  That's what it is for, ill people who cannot work. 

Quoting specialwingz:

That depicts me to a tee.  I was gainfully employed in my career.  Struck with stage III colon cancer.  Out so long, they had to replace me.  Had to move to another state where my dd lived so she could help me through it all and help with her twin brothers who were just starting middle school.

COBRA only allowed me to be covered for 18 months.  Then, they raised my premiums to the point I couldn't afford them (over $1k per month).  So, they dropped me.

No insurance.  Quarterly CT-scans are $3k each.  Bi-annual P.E.T. scans are $4k each.  Monthly bloodwork is $500.  Bi-annual colonoscopy is $5k for procedure, then tack on surgeon's fee and out patient facility fees.

So, there's over $36k worth of medical needs.  And, I didn't even include chemotherapy.  Yet, because I live with my DD, I am not allowed PA.  And, insurance provided with any employer will not cover me because I have a pre-existing condition.

So, is it any wonder that my dd and the rest of my family are scared out of their wits that I just might die because we can't afford the expenses and insurance companies choose to not cover me???

I'm only 53 years old.  I'm not done living yet.  But, insurance companies like to think I am.  Right along with the people who don't want things to change.  =/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured