Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

5 stages of emotion after a violent encounter where a life is taken.

Posted by   + Show Post

I put this in response to another poster who said she would shoot an entruder and feel no guilt.  I think it is worth pointing out so I am just copying it here.

I have to say, anyone who thinks they will not feel guilt and a whole slew of other emotions if they have to shoot someone, is sadly mistaken.

Stages of emotion after a violent encounter where you have had to take a life.

1.  Elation

2. revulsion

3.remorse

4. self doubt

5. acceptance

6. PTSD

Dropping a hammer on someone is not a cake walk, no matter how easy you may think it would be, even if your life is in danger.  It is a very emotional, life changing, experience.

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Damn it Carpy, now you have the Beatles "life Goes On" stuck in my head. For the second time today no less.

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Now why would you ask that?  This is a somewhat serious post in regards to how so many think it would be a piece of cake and life just goes on as always.

Also in response to how so many on the other side of the fence think gun rights advocates think every gun owner is just itching to kill.

Quoting katy_kay08:

how many people have you killed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting DivingDiva:

I think a lot of people greatly underestimate how taking a human life affects a person.  Even if a life is taken in self defense it is very common for a person to face heavy emotional consequences. 

I can't imagine what kind of emotions I would experience. I hit a squirrel with my car and pulled over on the side of the road and sobbed. This was over 20 yrs ago I still have remorse and sadness and it was a squirrel!!!

katy_kay08
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I asked because you made it sound as if you were speaking from experience.  I wondered how often you have found yourself the position to "drop a hammer" on someone. 

IMO, those that surround themselves with guns will surround themselves with violence.  I don't actually know why anyone invites that type of element but hey to each their own.  

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Now why would you ask that?  This is a somewhat serious post in regards to how so many think it would be a piece of cake and life just goes on as always.

Also in response to how so many on the other side of the fence think gun rights advocates think every gun owner is just itching to kill.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If there were a factual basis to your opinion the whole country would be a bloodbath.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I asked because you made it sound as if you were speaking from experience.  I wondered how often you have found yourself the position to "drop a hammer" on someone. 

IMO, those that surround themselves with guns will surround themselves with violence.  I don't actually know why anyone invites that type of element but hey to each their own.  

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM
nobody can but I have seen what a few have gone through in my life. It is a life changing event.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting DivingDiva:

I think a lot of people greatly underestimate how taking a human life affects a person.  Even if a life is taken in self defense it is very common for a person to face heavy emotional consequences. 

I can't imagine what kind of emotions I would experience. I hit a squirrel with my car and pulled over on the side of the road and sobbed. This was over 20 yrs ago I still have remorse and sadness and it was a squirrel!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

You think that people that own guns can't have them just for protection? As if they're psycho in the head and are looking for something to kill everyday? 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM
A lot of people on here seem to think that.

Quoting VintageWife:

You think that people that own guns can't have them just for protection? As if they're psycho in the head and are looking for something to kill everyday? 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

no. I think those that believe everyone is out to get them will find someone out to get them.  I also believe those that include a gun in their conflict resolution process are more likelyto skip more common, less violent conflict resolution steps and find themselves in positions where a gun is used.  

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Quoting katy_kay08:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Thankfully that is not reality.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Carpy:

To many to count.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We tell everyone in every class that before they choose to carry they need to do a lot of soul searching and make some decisions. While it is great to know you could do what is neccassery if you HAVE to it isn't easy and people need to understand that. I haven't encountered anyone yet who WANTS to kill or even harm anyone but they are realistic enough to know it may come to that and have chosen to prepare for it. Many cops go through serious issues after they have to shoot to kill and they are constantly trained for that. It IS a big deal and a serious thing even if it is the only option, so many don't seem to get that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)