People really do die from food allergies.
It is astonishing that some people do not take these allergies seriously. Some mothers here have even said they were angry that they were not allowed to send peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to school with their children because making something else was a hassle. This is an excerpt from an obituary from my town:
(name erased for privacy) age 19, died unexpectedly on March 8, 2013 as a result of a peanut allergy. He was the loving son of (names erased for privacy). Born in Plymouth, MA on January 5, 1994