Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN: Special report features hundreds of women who regret their abortions

Posted by   + Show Post

To coincide with the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade earlier this year, CNN asked its readers two questions: Have you had an abortion? How do you feel about it now?

CNN had a whopping 539 iReports filed in response. Hundreds of stories poured in, as women shared their choices, their reasons, their grief, and rarely, their satisfaction. One thing was made abundantly clear by CNN’s efforts: women regret their abortions. And they need to talk about them.

Women named their stories out of a deep sense of heartache:

Until we meet again

Soul-deep ache

Self-medicating did not heal my pain

What I had destroyed was not just tissue

Abortion is a forever punishment for women

I never got over it

Broken.

The pain of abortion stays with women. (Photo credit: craigCloutier on Flickr)

The pain of abortion stays with women for a lifetime. (Photo credit: craigCloutier on Flickr)

If only women would read such stories – hundreds of them – before making a choice for abortion. If only women did not have to look back in pain, regretting an unchangeable choice.

If only, instead, they could look ahead to a bright future without death because they know the facts, know the heartache, and know the grief without having to experience them firsthand.

These are the stories we must share. These are the stories we must shout from the rooftops. These are the stories that tell the truth. As one woman titled her article, “Because abortion affects everything!

Friends drive each other to the clinic and then never speak about it again. This ‘surgery’ literally changes a person’s life forever… and we are suddenly mute! …

My name is Stacy Massey and I am the President and Founding Partner of Abortion Recovery InterNational (ARIN), an international association of peer, professional and pastoral counselors helping families work through the emotional, psychological and spiritual pain of abortion.

We receive over 100 requests PER DAY from individuals and families looking for after abortion help. Over 250,000 hurting people have contacted us just in the last 5 years.

One simple, quick and legal abortion can impact 40-50 people in a lifetime.  Abortion effects everyone! …

[T]he death of my own two children to abortion prompted me to “do something” to help others.  Abortion trauma does not discriminate. It doesn’t matter how much money you make, where you live, the color of your skin or which gender you claim. The pain of abortion is everywhere.

A mother's child - dead or alive - is never far from her thoughts. (Photo credit: Nathan Csonka Photography on Flickr)

A mother’s child – dead or alive – is never far from her thoughts. (Photo credit: Nathan Csonka Photography on Flickr)

Over and over, in CNN’s iReports, women expressed pain that only a mother could understand. Some shared horrific stories of forced abortions; others shared their long journeys to forgiveness; many told of grief that has never left them. Tricia wrote:

Abortion is sold as a woman’s right. A solution to unwanted pregnancy. A quick procedure that once over, never has to be thought about again. I chose abortion at 18 years old. Now, 37 years later, I certainly have not forgotten. We are told that a woman has the right to control her own body as if abortion is a means of control. Once chosen, abortion creates its own affects. The physical, emotional, and psychological effects are beyond our control. Abortion does what it is designed to do….Kill and destroy; abrubtly halt an ongoing process… the process of LIFE. No woman is ever freed by abortion. …

Abortion is NOT for women it is AGAINST us.

No statement could be more true.

source

If your child is medically treated in the state of New York, don’t count on getting any information from the hospital ‒ unless you have your child’s permission.
Russell S. Hepler, of Transformation 1202 Ministries, found out this sobering reality firsthand when he learned last month that parental rights are becoming a thing of the past in the Empire State
“My 15-year-old step son dislocated his finger in a gym class accident,” Hepler informed Instant Analysis. “Since the closest hospital emergency room to where we live is located in New York State, a few miles away, it was the obvious choice for treatment. He was seen by a doctor in the E R and had the finger put back in place.”
But the dislocated finger ended up not being the most painful aspect of the experience.
“[A] few weeks later, the first bill for services arrived from the hospital,” recalled Hepler, author of the book Yes! We Can Turn America Around: A Practical Guide for Christian Political Involvement. “At first we thought it a bit strange that the bill came in his name since he is a minor and since our health insurance is through my wife’s employer and is in her name.”
Hepler’s wife soon found that one error led to another.
“When my wife examined the bill, it contained a few errors of personal information,” Hepler relayed. “My wife phoned the hospital and health insurance company to get the errors corrected before dealing with the bill so that there would be no future confusion about identity information.”
What soon entailed made the Hepler family feel like they were placed in the midst of a Twilight Zone episode.
Records … what records?
“She was informed by someone from the health insurance provider that they could not discuss the bill with her,” continued Hepler, who is a conference speaker on Christian issues. “When asked why they couldn’t possibly discuss her child’s medical bill, which her insurance would be involved in paying, she was told that according to New York State law, since her son is over the age o - See more at: http://www.instantanalysis.net/afa-blogs/2013/03/12/the-empire-state-strikes-back-%E2%80%A6-against-parental-rights#sthash.f99oGnqZ.dpuf
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this

Exactly, the majority of women who obtain abortions do not regret it at all.  They see it as a positive decision.  When I had my abortion, I was just out of college, broke, unemployed and unable to support myself, let alone a child.  I did not regret my decision then, I felt only relief afterward.  I never felt guilt either.

Quoting IhartU:

One-sided and meant to make it look like the majority of women regret it and are emotionally scarred by it.

Those women who wrote they had regrets obviously do and they NEED to talk about it which is why they wrote in. Maybe those who are perfectly okay with their decision have moved on and have no reason to dwell on it and tell their story.

tina08mommy
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a friend who regrets the abortion she had
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this

I smell a spin off of my thread just a short while ago: is there abortion options counseling.

My take away from my thread: there is always an impact when it comes to making chocies when a woman is faced with an unplanned and unexpected pregnancy. There are no easy answers nor are there any easy solutions. each chocie that is made has consequences: abortion, adoption, parenting. We each must have available to all of us enough information to make a fully informed decision for ourselves and make the best decision for ourselves according to where in time we are.

A choice involves consequences.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure there are women who regret them. I hope they find help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I know several women who have had abortions. Many regretted it, some forgave themselves and moved on and prospered. Some tried not to think about it, suffered in silence, became drunks, pot heads, and permiscuios, and PTSD. I don't know one person who has had an abortion that came out unscathed. Since the emotional trauma of an abortion can lie dormant for 10 years, there is still much to come to fruition.
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a tragedy! Wow!

Quoting littlelamb303:

no one I know that had an abortion regrets it.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I thought so too when I read that.

Quoting Koltie6:

That's a tragedy! Wow!

Quoting littlelamb303:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
5 moms liked this
Anytime you hear someone say they don't regret killing a harmless, innocent life, run away from that person. You will never be able to trust them. Feeling no regret for taking a life when their were other options, is a sign of sociopathic behavior.
Quoting candlegal:

I thought so too when I read that.

Quoting Koltie6:

That's a tragedy! Wow!

Quoting littlelamb303:

punky3175
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this
How many women have had abortions? If only 'hundreds' regret it out of thousands of women that have had abortions, that's a very small percentage.

I think this is great for those women who do regret the choices they made but I think those who regret their decisions are a very small percentage and there are probably underlying factors for that regret such as religious upbringing.
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Right, because every person that has ever had an abortion saw that poll and responded to it.

Quoting punky3175:

How many women have had abortions? If only 'hundreds' regret it out of thousands of women that have had abortions, that's a very small percentage.

I think this is great for those women who do regret the choices they made but I think those who regret their decisions are a very small percentage and there are probably underlying factors for that regret such as religious upbringing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)