Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The American Dream?,....

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 76 Replies
6 moms liked this
Do you ever think we are lied to. We are told to go to college so we can get a great job with a big house and all this frivolous shit they assure us we need to be happy. They don't really tell us that we will be in huge debt once we get out of school. That the corporate job we will get is 80 hours a week and so that big house you can afford with that high paying job is more like a storage locker for all the cool shit you never get to play with. Maybe you have a family but you never get to spend time with them because your at work in that cubical 80 hours a week to get your kids shit you think they have to have to be happy when what they really want is to spend time with you. We are told that hard work is beneath us. That people who spend their days living off the land with their families are backwards. All this technology that brings us into constant contact with each other has really made our relationships shallow. We glorify reality tv and degrade civility with real people. Our American dream has been polluted and i'm just wondering who decided that this was better? Give me back the real American Dream please. Where hard work is a good thing. Family is important. And we don't need a bunch of shit to be happy. I just want to live the life of simplicity. Small Shack of a House, as many kids as God blesses me with, & a garden to grow the food I desire.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I like your post - Maybetry one of those middle of the country, kinda west of the Mississippi river.  Land there might be cheaper (thinking ND, SD, AR)  and then you could buy enough land to farm enough for your family's needs. 

I agree we need less stuff. We need more family.  We need to be less selfish with ourselves, and our time.

And yes I do think we are lied to. I have my Masters and I really enjoyed college but I think college is a scam.  It doesn't guarentee anything except a lot of debt.  It doesn't really prepare kids for the workplace since most get work outside of their majors anyway.  I think the intend is proving a person can learn and is teachable - but there has to be another way.

For my kids, we homeschool.  I'm not sure college is what I hope for for them though.  If they can find a way without college I'd be very proud of them.  They are 2 and 5 so we have time.  I keep pushing my husband to look into real estate developing/investing so that we have a knowledge base/experience so that when the kids are grown they can jump aboard and avoid college.  I'd love for them to just own a bunch of property and maintain their familiy's off that income rather than work at some grueling job for 80 hours.  I want them to have the option of REALLY pursuing their passions.

Good luck in going after what you want.

spiritedsoul
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I've wanted to move my whole live to an area like that, unfortunately, my family has very little means. I can't afford to move & literally am not allowed to move out of state with out the permission of my daughters bio father (even though he doesn't pay support, doesn't use his visitation, never checks up on her, etc.) I'm stuck in a crapwhole!
Quoting JCB911:

I like your post - Maybetry one of those middle of the country, kinda west of the Mississippi river.  Land there might be cheaper (thinking ND, SD, AR)  and then you could buy enough land to farm enough for your family's needs. 

I agree we need less stuff. We need more family.  We need to be less selfish with ourselves, and our time.

And yes I do think we are lied to. I have my Masters and I really enjoyed college but I think college is a scam.  It doesn't guarentee anything except a lot of debt.  It doesn't really prepare kids for the workplace since most get work outside of their majors anyway.  I think the intend is proving a person can learn and is teachable - but there has to be another way.

For my kids, we homeschool.  I'm not sure college is what I hope for for them though.  If they can find a way without college I'd be very proud of them.  They are 2 and 5 so we have time.  I keep pushing my husband to look into real estate developing/investing so that we have a knowledge base/experience so that when the kids are grown they can jump aboard and avoid college.  I'd love for them to just own a bunch of property and maintain their familiy's off that income rather than work at some grueling job for 80 hours.  I want them to have the option of REALLY pursuing their passions.

Good luck in going after what you want.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
If you can gat the custody issues sorted, there are parts of CO where land is a grand an acre. You will have to work hard to make it fertile and useful but if there is will .. . . . . .:-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  1. Yes, they try to sell us a lie and then many end up depressed and Unsatisfied. I want my kids to go college though. Education isn't available to all people in the world and I think knowledge is a gift. Education is powerful and a rare opportunity. 
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

But if you lived a simple life, and grew your own food and were happy with that..... How would mega wealthy people make money off of you? Won't you think about the extremely rich people?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Oh, this seems like a good post.  I have to head to work soon so I don't have the time to take it line by line, so to speak.  Ugh!

Skimming it, I can say, off the top of my head that doing our own research and personal responsibility comes in to play.  That isn't to say I don't agree with what bits I read.  

I will have to come back to this later.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that the original "American" dream has been redefined and that people should create their own idea of the "American" dream because My "America" and your "America" may not be the same thing-and that is perfectly fine. I like to watch "Our America" on the OWN channel because it gives a great look at how different people are around this country. Some stories are sad and some stories are very interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be successful but then again, its all in how you define success. For some, the big corporate job is success and for others, building your family is  success. I agree with the reality TV statement. Although I am guilty of watching some reality shows. But I think that as a whole, American society has become very desensitized to a lot of things and that desensitization has stripped away a lot of innocence.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I agree.

I believe that one can no longer be whatever one wants to be in the US- If you have ever been to a country where 10 people own and control everything (and they are usually related), you can get a pretty good idea where America is headed, and it's not pretty and it's no dream. 

Quoting LNLMommy:

I think that the original "American" dream has been redefined and that people should create their own idea of the "American" dream because My "America" and your "America" may not be the same thing-and that is perfectly fine. I like to watch "Our America" on the OWN channel because it gives a great look at how different people are around this country. Some stories are sad and some stories are very interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be successful but then again, its all in how you define success. For some, the big corporate job is success and for others, building your family is  success. I agree with the reality TV statement. Although I am guilty of watching some reality shows. But I think that as a whole, American society has become very desensitized to a lot of things and that desensitization has stripped away a lot of innocence.

4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The phrase "The American Dream" doesn't really mean what you stated above. It's more an idea. The idea that, in this country, people have the freedom to choose and pursue their own dreams.

lilbit53009
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

bump for later when i have a little more time to respond...i like your post tho.

i do agree with you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN