Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Breast feeding legislation in Texas

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 354 Replies

Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle is voting against House Bill 1706, that better defines the rights of women to pump at work and gives a back bone to the laws in place saying a woman has the right to breast feed where ever she and baby are otherwise legally allowed to be. Please, let your voices be heard on this matter, though the link below! 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=589567634406575&id=150389431657733&comment_id=6590385┬Čif_t=like 

"Legislative Update - House Bill 1706 was brought before a House Committee today - it is about breast feeding. Now, I am all in favor of breast feeding - however it is important for women to be modest while feeding their baby - and most women are modest and respectful. But, a bill that would allow for law suits if one "interfered" with a woman breast feeding is really going a bit far. If a business owner objects to a woman who is not being modest then be fearful of a law suit is government out of control. Most of our laws and bills being considered for law would not be necessary if people would simply be considerate and thoughtful of others. Needless to say - I am not supporting this bill."

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with her on everything but covers. As long as minimum cleavage is being shown, no cover is nessisary IMO. However I do not think business owners should be forced to allow mother to breastfeed when and where ever they please. The store belongs to them, nit the government and aslong as the are restricting behaviors and not characteristic traits, I'm all for their right to choose what goes on in their stores.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM
5 moms liked this

Sure, they CAN drape a blanket over themselves. And if a woman feels more comfortable with a cover, that's great. Personally, I always used a cover--I never felt comfortable nursing in public without a cover. But a woman shouldn't be forced to use a cover if she wishes to NIP.

Frankly, I see more in Victoria's Secret ads or on the beach than with the typical nursing mother, even without a cover. A couple of years ago I was at a baby shower, and I met a woman for the first time who's now a good friend of mine. She had brought her 8-week-old to the shower, and while we were talking she picked up the baby and started nursing--so discreetly that I didn't even realize it for a while. No cover, but it wasn't a big deal.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM
4 moms liked this

Then you also agree with store owners not allowing overweight people in their store, or black people or red heads, ect?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I agree with her on everything but covers. As long as minimum cleavage is being shown, no cover is nessisary IMO. However I do not think business owners should be forced to allow mother to breastfeed when and where ever they please. The store belongs to them, nit the government and aslong as the are restricting behaviors and not characteristic traits, I'm all for their right to choose what goes on in their stores.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No woman should be made to feel guilty for using a cover for her own comfort. Nor should she feel pressured either.

I completly with you :-)

Quoting jhslove:

Sure, they CAN drape a blanket over themselves. And if a woman feels more comfortable with a cover, that's great. Personally, I always used a cover--I never felt comfortable nursing in public without a cover. But a woman shouldn't be forced to use a cover if she wishes to NIP.

Frankly, I see more in Victoria's Secret ads or on the beach than with the typical nursing mother, even without a cover. A couple of years ago I was at a baby shower, and I met a woman for the first time who's now a good friend of mine. She had brought her 8-week-old to the shower, and while we were talking she picked up the baby and started nursing--so discreetly that I didn't even realize it for a while. No cover, but it wasn't a big deal.

MsRkg
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you misread what she is  saying, she is referencing characteristic traits and not physical behavior or activity. Body weight, skin and hair color are a characteristic trait of a person, not a behavior or activity like breastfeeding is.

Quoting paganbaby:

Then you also agree with store owners not allowing overweight people in their store, or black people or red heads, ect?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Those are charateristic traits. I covered that in my reply.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM
7 moms liked this

I believe I need a CM break..

I read the title as..Breastfeeding Lesbians in Texas...oy!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

:)

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Must have missed it,lol.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but a charateristic is something you cannaot help, ie: being black, a woman, overweight, ect. And a behavior is something that you do.  Clothing you wear, food you eat, the manner in which you feed your infant, ect.

Right?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Those are charateristic traits. I covered that in my reply.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with her on the whole thing. God forbid a little modesty and cover it up!

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)