Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should 'In God We Trust' be removed from US Currency?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 206 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Should 'In God We Trust' be removed from US currency?

Options:

Yes

No

Other-explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 176

View Results

'In God We Trust' Lawsuit: Freedom From Religion Foundation Sues To Remove Phrase From Currency

The Freedom From Religion Foundation mounted a lawsuit against the U.S. Treasury Department and other government officials this week, claiming that they are discriminating against nonbelievers by including the phrase "In God We Trust" on the nation's currency.

"Our government is prohibited from endorsing one religion over another but also prohibited from endorsing religion over nonreligion. The placement of a monotheistic ideal on our nation's currency violates this stricture and is therefore unconstitutional," FFRF Co-President Dan Barker said in a statement.

Along with 19 other plaintiffs, the FFRF argues in the lawsuit that they "are forced to proselytize -- by an Act of Congress -- for a deity they don't believe in whenever they handle money."

(Read the FFRF's entire complaint here.)

Similar challenges to the appearance of "In God We Trust" on national currency have failed. In 2011, a court case on the issue filed by atheist Michael Newdow made it all the way to the Supreme Court, only to be rejected.

Congress first approved the inclusion of "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins during Civil War in 1864. In 1956, Congress passed a resolution to recognize the words officially as the national motto, replacing the de facto phrase, “E Pluribus Unum.” A year later, it began being printed on paper money.

The FFRF lawsuit argues that the motto is more than just a phrase, citing examples of politicians allegedly using "In God We Trust" to press a religious agenda.

"In God We Trust" most recently drew national attention in 2011, when congressional lawmakers thought it necessary to pass a non-binding resolution reaffirming the words as the national motto.

The move later drew mockery from President Barack Obama, who was in the midst of encouraging Congress to vote on his jobs bill.

"And if Congress tells you they don't have time, they've got time to do it," Obama said.

"In the House of Representatives, what have you guys been doing, John?" Obama continued, calling out Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio). "You've been debating a commemorative coin for baseball. You've had legislation reaffirming that 'In God We Trust' is our motto. That's not putting people back to work. I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work."

LINK

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
16 moms liked this

Yes. It should never have been added in the first place, a clear violation of separation.

D.O.E.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM
3 moms liked this

yeah it should say "trust no one, shoot first"

that is the real motto right?

;-)

LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
3 moms liked this
I understand why they want it to be removed, but i dont see why it is such a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I sure as hell wish it would be..

However I don't think I as strongly wish it would disappear as some of those who want it to remain there...   

I never carry cash anyway, and my debit card doesn't say it.. so.. ::shrugs:: 

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree that it doesn't belong there but think we have more important issues to work on right now.

KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

::snickers::

You're REALLY disgusted by our "gun laws," huh?  

Quoting D.O.E.:

;-)

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM
18 moms liked this
It should be removed from our money and our pledge. We really need to go back to E Pluribus Unum. Out of many, one. That is what this country needs to get back to. So many different people, so many different walks of life, so many different beliefs, but yet one country that needs to work together. We lost that ... that's a problem.
D.O.E.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

lol yes

Quoting KristenFowles:

::snickers::

You're REALLY disgusted by our "gun laws," huh?  

Quoting D.O.E.:

;-)

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting D.O.E.:

;-)

We could go back to what it was before 1956 before it was changed. E pluribus unum

Or we could go something that puts an Emphasis on Americans and Freedom.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

It should be removed from our money and our pledge. We really need to go back to E Pluribus Unum. Out of many, one. That is what this country needs to get back to. So many different people, so many different walks of life, so many different beliefs, but yet one country that needs to work together. We lost that ... that's a problem.

I totally agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN