Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gun owners in this group: Does the NRA speak for you?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: As a gun owner, do you agree with the NRA?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, because there always is one

I don't own a gun, but I wanted to vote here anyway.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

I am asking this question because I heard a commentator say tonight that the NRA is the most powerful lobby in Washington and had serious power to influence the way our representatives vote.

I don't own a gun, but I am fine with the 2nd amendment. More than half my family members do and I love it when they bring home a big buck or wild turkey to share. I have eaten quail, rabbit and squirrel meat...All of which I feel better about than the stuff in the Styrofoam offered at the local grocery. Several women I know are the victims of stalkers and a few of them have acquired a gun for protection. I don't blame them. I probably would too seeing what they have experienced.

That said, I have seen a lot of crazy gun talk going on in here the past few months. It seems like there is some idea that if you don't agree with Wayne LaPierre, Ted Nugent and the NRA that Obama is "commin' for your guns!" that you don't agree with the 2nd amendment....I have suspicions about the NRA and the fear they are pushing as it builds up their bottom line. It is in their financial interest to convince as many people as they can to buy as many guns and as much ammo as they possibly can because of the above said fear...and if you disagree with them, then you couldn't possibly be a supporter of the constitutional right to own a firearm...

I call it BS.

So I was just wondering....As a gun owner and member of this forum, does the NRA speak for you?

*edited to add why I posted this in the first sentence*

*edit to the edit, to add Wayne LaPierre, who is the NRA face I am really talking about. I think most of us can agree that Ted is bat#hit crazy! LOL*

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell no. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  The NRA does not speak for me.

Damn crazy fools.  Well, okay.......to be fair, not ALL of them are damn crazy fools.   Just most.

I am a gun owner.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a gun owner but I have no idea what they're trying to say 'for me'. I'm so annoyed with all their phone calls asking for money that I've kind of tuned them out.

That being said, they're probably just an equal balance to the crazies on the other end of the spectrum trying to punish the legal gun owners for the crimes of the few bad ones.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a gun owner and a staunch 2nd amendment supporter, and we belong to the NRA, however, people like Ted Nugent and his camp o' crazy don't speak for me.

As a moderate Independent, I'm afraid there isn't a single lobbyist in Washington that can completely speak for me, in any issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Any group that considers Ted Nugent a good spokes person will never speak for me.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a gun owner. I think that the NRA is a special interest group that spins things to make things worse (or better) than they are. I agree with some of what they say, and disagree with others. For instance, they have made the UN gun treaty (which I do not support) into something it isn't, and they have people believing that it has anything to do with personal buying and selling here in the US.
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I'm a gun owner and a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but I don't necessarily consider what the NRA says as 'my words'.

On the other hand, I do think that without the NRA fighting tooth and nail for gun rights and to uphold the COTUS that it's likely that far less people would still be allowed to own guns in the US. Whether or not I agree with them or all of their talk, I appreciate the voice they maintain in Congress.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I wanted to thank all of your ladies so far who have shared your POV. It helps cut through all the rhetoric.

Neon Washable Paint

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We aren't members of the NRA

GrandmaGRN
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I don't think recommending that our schools are armed to protect children from the mentally ill that are allowed to roam this country, is crazy.  Ted Nugent is not a representative of the NRA.  Are there "gun nuts" out there, sure.  Ted doesn't do the anti-gun control lobby any good when he publicizes shooting pigs from a helicopter.  The NRA has done more gun safety education than any organization in America.  So, like any issue, you have to see who is actually representing whom and what they stand for. Ted Nugent stands for himself.  I appreciate his enthusiasm, but, not necessarily his methods.  Read on the NRA website what we stand for and then you will understand there is a difference.

I don't understand why it is inconceivable to some people that the govt wouldn't want to control our access to guns, when we have them trying to tell us what to feed our kids and how many ounces of soda we can buy.  The "govt knows best" attitude of the O administration is very obvious if you sit back and examine it.  Where will they stop at controlling our lives?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured