Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should a form of martial law be imposed in high crime areas?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 169 Replies
1 mom liked this

i am not talking about confiscating property, cars and homes.

i am talking about miitary presence patrolling the streets of high crime violent areas where shootings are happening daily.

i am talking about curfews.

i am talking about stop checks.

getting the guns out of the hands of gangsters.

i am getting torn a new one for suggesting this in another group.

then again....some pretty ignorant women in that group......lol

so would it work? make it next to impossible for dealers and gangsters and all those guys to even function, get those areas under control.

your thoughts?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

think detroit, chicago, flatbrush brooklynn ect

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I would think it would be a great start to ending some of this useless crime

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

No, what would work is for your city officials and police department to actually do their job. I don't support martial law for incidences like this.....if the police can't gain control of the criminls that make it impossible to live in society, then we need a new police cheif and mayor. I speak from experience, because I live in a city with twice daily armed robberies and gunfire. The problem is in the elected.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The police can't be everywhere at once.. How many police officers per100, 1000, 10,000 ppl?

The criminals are the problem....

Quoting romanceparty4u:

No, what would work is for your city officials and police department to actually do their job. I don't support martial law for incidences like this.....if the police can't gain control of the criminls that make it impossible to live in society, then we need a new police cheif and mayor. I speak from experience, because I live in a city with twice daily armed robberies and gunfire. The problem is in the elected.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The military can't be everywhere either.

They know who the criminals are. They are arrested and bonded out, in most cases, same day. The know where the dealers are, they know who and where the gang members are. They have chosen to "wait it out" and "do nothing".

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

The police can't be everywhere at once.. How many police officers per100, 1000, 10,000 ppl?

Quoting romanceparty4u:

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

There was a post about Million Dollar Blocks, where city blocks cost the taxpayers a million dollars a year. Arresting people and housing them in jail and patrolling and investigating. These are high crime city blocks. Imagine.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't say the military could or couldn't do anything..

There is a lot more to it than just arresting every criminal... It's about money. Can we afford to house EVERY criminal in the country? are there enough officers to get the job done...It's not as easy as you think.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

The military can't be everywhere either.

They know who the criminals are. They are arrested and bonded out, in most cases, same day. The know where the dealers are, they know who and where the gang members are. They have chosen to "wait it out" and "do nothing".

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting romanceparty4u:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
D.O.E.
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Cant they be shipped off to an island or something? Lol
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

If you live in a high crime area, unless you are coming home from work, you impose your own curfew. You aren't out at night in the dark. Your children are inside the house before dark. They aren't roaming the neighborhood either. It's really common sense. Yes, I know, you can catch a bullet through the window from a stray bullet. It's still safer to be indoors in a locked home than roaming the streets.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM
5 moms liked this
I live in what is considered a high crime area. Our city went bankrupt and so we did not have a lot of police around. Our crime rate dropped. In our area we have a lot of racially motivated crime and honestly the police here fuel the fire. I do not believe that enacting martial law would stop the issues. Also I have the right to come and go from my home as I please with out having to worry if I will get in trouble. I am an adult not a teenager. It is up to the community to decide how things should be done. Do we sit around and allow bad things to happen or do we do something about it. I am known as the crazy white lady in my area why because with in a week of living here the drug dealers were no longer standing on my corner and with in a month they were no longer hanging around my street. Why because I refused to put up with it now when I go for walks and I see them we have very polite conversations and I hear a lot of no ma'am yes ma'am why because I did not allow them to scare me. Quit living in fear expecting other people to clean up the problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN