Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should a form of martial law be imposed in high crime areas?

Posted by   + Show Post

i am not talking about confiscating property, cars and homes.

i am talking about miitary presence patrolling the streets of high crime violent areas where shootings are happening daily.

i am talking about curfews.

i am talking about stop checks.

getting the guns out of the hands of gangsters.

i am getting torn a new one for suggesting this in another group.

then again....some pretty ignorant women in that group......lol

so would it work? make it next to impossible for dealers and gangsters and all those guys to even function, get those areas under control.

your thoughts?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Replies (161-169):
Redwall
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Absolutely not!  Curfews? Stop checks?  And how on earth would this get the guns out of the hands of gangsters?  Gangsters will ALWAYS get guns.  This sounds more like the Soviet Union that the USA.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I dislike the idea of martial law..it'd be way to easy to expand it's reach and authority once it began. The police can't be expected to be everywhere either though so I really don't know what the answer is.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This is an extension of what NYC has been doing, and the problem with it is that is creates less and less trust in the authorities over time, so while it can make things "better," in terms of the amount of crime to report to the FBI, you can NEVER let up, or it comes right back. It's very expensive to do in perpetuity.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No just in these areas there aren't many whites.

Quoting D.O.E.:

wow are you saying white people dont commit crimes too?

Quoting Citygirlk:

And if we do this next thing you know these areas will just turn into camps. But hey I guess it will be a good way to keep the blacks and Hispanics in place.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Doing this to me would first cause a race war, the people will want to over throw the goverment which would lead to a civil war. That is not something the United States needs. Like I said before for get rid of the corrupt and watch how fast things will change. Right now this is the way our goverment likes it that way there always something to complain about and more way for them to get rich.

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Martial law

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with Marital law.

Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis.

Martial law is usually imposed on a temporary basis when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, or provide essential services), when there are extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread.

In most of the cases, military forces are deployed to subdue the crowds, to secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and to maintain order.[1] Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions. In full-scale martial law, the highest-ranking military officer would take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government, thus removing all power from the previous executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.[1]

Martial law can be used by governments to enforce their rule over the public. Such incidents may occur after a coup d'état (such as Thailand in 2006); when threatened by popular protest (China, Tiananmen Square protests of 1989); to suppress political opposition (Poland in 1981); to stabilize insurrections or perceived insurrections (Canada, The October Crisis of 1970). Martial law may be declared in cases of major natural disasters, however most countries use a different legal construct, such as a state of emergency.

Martial law has also been imposed during conflicts and in cases of occupations, where the absence of any other civil government provides for an unstable population. Examples of this form of military rule include post World War II reconstruction in Germany and Japan as well as the southern reconstruction following the U.S. Civil War.

Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians. Civilians defying martial law may be subjected to military tribunal (court-martial).

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok so let's strip this down to the simplest implementation.

BIG dude with guns standing on corner...think gangsters will still flash guns and do drug deals on that corner?

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I don't understand why any group or person would have a problem suggesting something like this. It always just confuses me when a person or persons have to make such a agrument over something IMO is so necessary. But, yes I feel this would help greatly. But, I would wonder if the City would have money for this. Seems, we're always hearing there's no money for extra police, etc. Actually, the cutting of more police. In Chicago for example, it is so sad when we keep hearing about the deaths. Especially, when it involves a child. I heard that the deaths in Chicago are more than the war in Afgan. I wonder why isn't anything being done about this problem in Chicago. Seems, the parents certainly aren't doing anything about their kids on the streets.
romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Radarma:

Ok so let's strip this down to the simplest implementation.

BIG dude with guns standing on corner...think gangsters will still flash guns and do drug deals on that corner?

In  many cases, they'd deal the drugs to the big dude, that will gladly "make a deal". In most cases, they will walk up a block in the bushes to do what they are gonna do anyhow.

In every case, it's usually the law abiding citizens that are the slightest bit inconvenienced. If not worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN