Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think about new Pope Francis I?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 47 Replies

New Pope Francis I: 7 Facts About the Cardinal Formerly Known as Jorge Bergoglio

by Adriana Velez

pope francis 1After two days of deliberation, the cardinals in Rome have selected a new pope. Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio is now Pope Francis I. As I write this, he is addressing the assembled crowd at St. Peter's Square.

This selection is a huge surprise. Pope Francis is the first Latin American pope, for one thing. For another, he was not among the front-runners as predicted by the media. The cardinals made a bold choice! Here's what we know about former cardinal Jorge Bergoglio so far.

1. As we said, this is the first Catholic pope from Latin America. He was born in Buenos Aires in 1936.
  2. He is 76 years old.
  3. He is the first to take the name "Francis." The name symbolizes "poverty, humility, simplicity, and rebuilding the Catholic church," says CNN Vatican expert John Allen.
  4. He lives simply. He reportedly cooks his own meals and gave up the chauffeured limo cardinals are entitled to. Instead, he takes a bus to work. He gave up a lavish cardinal's residence and lives in a small apartment.
  5. In college Pope Francis studied chemistry. He worked as a professor, teaching philosophy, literature, and psychology.
  6. He is known for his commitment to social justice.
  7. On the other hand, he is also known as a doctrinal conservative who opposes same-sex marriage, abortion, and euthanasia.

Given the big picture, maybe this is not such a surprising choice after all. The cardinals were unlikely to make the risky choice of choosing a doctrinally liberal priest. On the other hand, choosing a Latin American cardinal known for his commitment to social justice shows the cardinals realize that the demographics of Catholicism have changed, and that their people need a leader who displays compassion.

What do you think about the cardinals' choice?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I could care less?

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I am not catholic so I really don't know what to think about why they chose this guy.

Kayla2013
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I'm not catholic but I give them kudos for picking someone different. Now if all churches(mine specifically) could get off their high horses and notice that change is among us and that it is ok to have change. I think things might be different in the religious world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think religion sucks.

Then I think... hey... I've heard conservatives complain about this guy so he might be awesome. xD

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

This choice has been inspired by the Holy Spirit and I am very excited about our new Pope.  I am sure I will love this Pope as much as I loved our last Pope.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think they made a great choice..although time will tell. I'm not catholic..but we do know how the pope does have some influence over the world.

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

but then after reading, he's not as awesome as I hoped.

Oh well.

*sniffle

SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I don't really know anything about him other than the few tid bits I've had a chance to read here and there.  I think it will be interesting to watch what direction the church takes under his lead.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM
5 moms liked this

meet the new boss, same as the old boss. corruption and bigotry and fuckery, same as always. 

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN