Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My oldest son has been back in school since January (we had been homeschooling), and he's been coming home with some interesting stories about his science teacher.

According to his science teacher,

1- If you love your mother, than you must believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love.

2- The science curriculum is not "the truth", and he hates that he has to teach from it.

3- He has only been confronted by one parent in his 20 years in the classroom, because the "lovely town" he teaches in is predominantly Christian.

I've taken some steps to find out what is going on, etc. But because we've been talking about the separation of church and state (or the myth of it, according to some posters) in another thread, I thought it would be good to get another perspective out there. This is a public school, and an actual science class where this is happening. And in 20 years, no one has really done anything about it.

If you were me, what would you do?

Also, can we please put to rest the idea that this kind of thing does not happen in the public schools?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Wow! That never happened in any of my schools or my kids schools. There was no mention of God or any religion in class. We were given the choice of going to a church school across the street (kind of like Sunday school) when I was in Elementary school for an hour on Thursday afternoon but it was optional.

The closest a teacher came to spouting God and Christianity was a second grade teacher in a Florida public school in 1977 who insisted that the students in her class bring a Bible to school and read from it for 15 minutes every morning. My daughter was in that class. She forgot her Bible and had to stay in from recess as a punishement. I was ticked off.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I would complain to the principal and give the ACLU a call for guidance.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
As a Jew, I would be extremely displeased with an educator saying that to my son. My youngest son attended public school for 6 months. It ended shortly after 2 kids in his class repeatedly told him Jews burn in hell, the teacher sent my son to the principal for crying and causing a scene in class. He was in 3rd grade at the time...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like this "teacher" is unhappy teaching science, or what the world knows as science.   If he wishes to teach the creation as the "science" of the world, then he should be a lay teacher at a Christian school, and teach the doctrine he is more comfortable with.  

We don't need to fool around with hidden cameras or microphones, and if more than one child complains or testifies that is colaberation enough for proof.  If the admnistrative powers cannot or will not correct the problem, perhaps it is time then to file suit in the federal courts, since they are breaking federal laws.   

BTW, G-d is still in the classroom, he lives and breathes in the heart ad soul of every child that believes in Him.

He is just not being taught in the public schools, there is parochial schools for that, also houses of worship for all religions.  

butterfly on headlynda  

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

omg.  I would have lost my shit if that happened.  That is unreal.  I can't even imagine.  And who the fuck is teaching their children that jews burn in hell??

Quoting lizzielouaf:

As a Jew, I would be extremely displeased with an educator saying that to my son. My youngest son attended public school for 6 months. It ended shortly after 2 kids in his class repeatedly told him Jews burn in hell, the teacher sent my son to the principal for crying and causing a scene in class. He was in 3rd grade at the time...

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Precious little kids in your son's class.  And so, this is what a little bit of religious teachings does to innocent young minds,what they learn in church and from and dad at home they bring to school, and then bully a child.  An ignorant teacher either too afraid he would loose his job, or he had no backbone  to stop this nasty litttle brats should have been removed from teaching.   This is why RELIGION DOES NOT BELONG IN CLASSROOM.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

butterfly on headlynda  

Imacakebaker
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If no one has complained in 20 years, and the other parents are good with it, why are you going to complain?  The school year is almost over.  Are you just going to complain because you can?

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I would have my son pulled from the class and tell the principal why.

If the teacher wants to lie, fine, but my child should not have to sit and listen to his lies. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
It started because the boys were talking about Jesus and my son said he didn't know who that was. It went downhill from there. I wanted to lose my shit but managed not to. We took him out the next week and now we commute 2 hours a day to his private school but it's been totally worth it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't Christians believe any one that doesn't accept Jesus as their savior will burn in hell?

Quoting pansyprincess:

omg.  I would have lost my shit if that happened.  That is unreal.  I can't even imagine.  And who the fuck is teaching their children that jews burn in hell??

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

What grade is this?

We are Christian, but I don't want some science teacher talking about Jesus and beliefs systems with my child. We teach our children about God and they learn about the Bible through Sunday school(when they visit their grandparents). 

For me, it would really depend on the grade. Middle school and up I would let it go. The kids are old enough to come to me and explain what they are hearing and I can clear it up. Elementary school they are still learning and finding their way and I don't want someone discussing with them what they "should" believe religiously. That is NONE of their business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)