Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My oldest son has been back in school since January (we had been homeschooling), and he's been coming home with some interesting stories about his science teacher.

According to his science teacher,

1- If you love your mother, than you must believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love.

2- The science curriculum is not "the truth", and he hates that he has to teach from it.

3- He has only been confronted by one parent in his 20 years in the classroom, because the "lovely town" he teaches in is predominantly Christian.

I've taken some steps to find out what is going on, etc. But because we've been talking about the separation of church and state (or the myth of it, according to some posters) in another thread, I thought it would be good to get another perspective out there. This is a public school, and an actual science class where this is happening. And in 20 years, no one has really done anything about it.

If you were me, what would you do?

Also, can we please put to rest the idea that this kind of thing does not happen in the public schools?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (111-113):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am pretty sure I told you what I would do about it a while back. However, you claimed that there was nepotism and essentially the good ol boy system abound all the way to the state level. You also said you were handling it like an adult and combating it at home like a parent should do. 

So can I assume you are no longer worried about, as you put it, making "porraiahs" out of your son and your family? 

All that aside I think you have a right to be angry and not okay with what is going on. You need to start taking it up the levels in your district. Start writing letters to your local representatives. If you are not ready to "make some waves" there isn't much more you can do at the moment than what you have said you are already doing. 

We have to weigh the benefits of what we do. There is a middle path to take. No, I'm still concerned, but it's gotten out of control.

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I would take it to the teacher and school administration first and get their response.  If they aren't forthcoming about making him stop the religious stuff in class, the school board.  And if they aren't responsive, then you have to go further.  Living in the Bible Belt, we've had several instances of teachers or even parents stepping over the line, although nothing as blatant as what you're describing.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I agree you have to weigh your options. I'm not saying to go in guns blazing. Unfortunately there is no way to keep from ruffling feathers when you stand up for yourself. Do you have a copy of the district curriculum standards? Do you have the district handbook for teachers? If he is in clear violation of what is laid out in those publications, and you can get proof, like a small recording device others mentioned, you have the solid ground to stand on. I feel for you. I know this isn't easy. I suppose pulling him from this class to another teacher isn't an option this late in the year? 

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am pretty sure I told you what I would do about it a while back. However, you claimed that there was nepotism and essentially the good ol boy system abound all the way to the state level. You also said you were handling it like an adult and combating it at home like a parent should do. 

So can I assume you are no longer worried about, as you put it, making "porraiahs" out of your son and your family? 

All that aside I think you have a right to be angry and not okay with what is going on. You need to start taking it up the levels in your district. Start writing letters to your local representatives. If you are not ready to "make some waves" there isn't much more you can do at the moment than what you have said you are already doing. 

We have to weigh the benefits of what we do. There is a middle path to take. No, I'm still concerned, but it's gotten out of control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN