Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My oldest son has been back in school since January (we had been homeschooling), and he's been coming home with some interesting stories about his science teacher.

According to his science teacher,

1- If you love your mother, than you must believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love.

2- The science curriculum is not "the truth", and he hates that he has to teach from it.

3- He has only been confronted by one parent in his 20 years in the classroom, because the "lovely town" he teaches in is predominantly Christian.

I've taken some steps to find out what is going on, etc. But because we've been talking about the separation of church and state (or the myth of it, according to some posters) in another thread, I thought it would be good to get another perspective out there. This is a public school, and an actual science class where this is happening. And in 20 years, no one has really done anything about it.

If you were me, what would you do?

Also, can we please put to rest the idea that this kind of thing does not happen in the public schools?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Quoting Imacakebaker:

If no one has complained in 20 years, and the other parents are good with it, why are you going to complain?  The school year is almost over.  Are you just going to complain because you can?

It doesn't matter if the school year is almost over, nor does it matter if no one else took issue with this teacher's lack of ability. 

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

She should complain because it is wrong.  Would you complain if the science teacher told your child to stop talking about that creation nonsense because it wasn't true?

Quoting Imacakebaker:

If no one has complained in 20 years, and the other parents are good with it, why are you going to complain?  The school year is almost over.  Are you just going to complain because you can?

lga1965
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Not all Christians believe that. I think its the Funamentalists and the offshoot  denominations do. I went toMethodist ,Congregational and Lutheran churches and none  of them threatened us with Hell. I no longer go to church but I believe in God . I'm not woried about Hell.

Its sadthat you have to deal with that prejudice.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It started because the boys were talking about Jesus and my son said he didn't know who that was. It went downhill from there. I wanted to lose my shit but managed not to. We took him out the next week and now we commute 2 hours a day to his private school but it's been totally worth it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't Christians believe any one that doesn't accept Jesus as their savior will burn in hell?

Quoting pansyprincess:

omg.  I would have lost my shit if that happened.  That is unreal.  I can't even imagine.  And who the fuck is teaching their children that jews burn in hell??

Quoting lizzielouaf:

As a Jew, I would be extremely displeased with an educator saying that to my son. My youngest son attended public school for 6 months. It ended shortly after 2 kids in his class repeatedly told him Jews burn in hell, the teacher sent my son to the principal for crying and causing a scene in class. He was in 3rd grade at the time...

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I am positive the source that said that about Darwin was discredited. I can't do the research ATM. The thing is...he's presenting faith and beliefs. They have NO place in a science class, as they are not science.

Quoting gsprofval:

Perhaps the teacher was just going over the different theories of how man got here on earth.  I wouldn't have  a problem with God being a part of that discussion.  I am in he Bible belt and I'm thankful for that.

As for Darwin's theory of evolution--had a go-round with my daughter's teacher about that because even Darwin admitted his theory of evolution was WRONG and that GOD created the earth and everything on it, but the teacher failed to tell the whole truth about Darwin until I pointed it out to him.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Source.  And fyi, the theory of evolution does not answer how life began as a whole, just how life evolved.  People believe in both god and evolution.

Quoting gsprofval:

Perhaps the teacher was just going over the different theories of how man got here on earth.  I wouldn't have  a problem with God being a part of that discussion.  I am in he Bible belt and I'm thankful for that.

As for Darwin's theory of evolution--had a go-round with my daughter's teacher about that because even Darwin admitted his theory of evolution was WRONG and that GOD created the earth and everything on it, but the teacher failed to tell the whole truth about Darwin until I pointed it out to him.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a problem. He's not allowed to do it. She ABSOLUTELY should complain. You think she should not say anything just because no one else has? That's silly.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that this one thinks that non christians should shut up and take it... 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

It's a problem. He's not allowed to do it. She ABSOLUTELY should complain. You think she should not say anything just because no one else has? That's silly.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Yes...this is clear from her replies in the money post.

Quoting Sekirei:

I think that this one thinks that non christians should shut up and take it... 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM
In the science classroom, I would be taking it to the principal...especially, b/c the teacher is proselytizing.

But then I might get my own feet put to the fire! Today in my 10th literature class, I had to explain the story of Peter walking on the water to Jesus... Why some might ask? Because we are reading Fahrenheit 451 and there is an allusion to the story in the book! In the Deep South/bible belt country, I was absolutely shocked that 90% of my students could not recognize the reference to this bible story (or even tell the story correctly).

We've also read Ecclesiastes in conjunction with the book, along with Plato's Republic, a Greek myth about the furies, and Julius Ceasar...so we hit tons of areas also! I honestly don't see how someone can teach literature without the context of the history of religions (and I don't believe people have to believe them at all...the just need to know the basic belief system and the impact of the religion on the times, so they understand the allusions and reasons for the books being written in the first place.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Yeah, that's not true. The woman who claimed that had never met Darwin. That story has been debunked. Darwins wife was a Christian and had hoped he'd convert, she said he never did. You should research the bullshit you're fed.

Quoting gsprofval:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN