Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My oldest son has been back in school since January (we had been homeschooling), and he's been coming home with some interesting stories about his science teacher.

According to his science teacher,

1- If you love your mother, than you must believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love.

2- The science curriculum is not "the truth", and he hates that he has to teach from it.

3- He has only been confronted by one parent in his 20 years in the classroom, because the "lovely town" he teaches in is predominantly Christian.

I've taken some steps to find out what is going on, etc. But because we've been talking about the separation of church and state (or the myth of it, according to some posters) in another thread, I thought it would be good to get another perspective out there. This is a public school, and an actual science class where this is happening. And in 20 years, no one has really done anything about it.

If you were me, what would you do?

Also, can we please put to rest the idea that this kind of thing does not happen in the public schools?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

The teacher just out of the blue made these comments directly to your son? 

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Did you actually read what the post said?

Teacher has been doing this for 20 years.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM
It sounds like it's the teacher and the community, not the school. If no one has complained, there's not much the school would do. I would email th teacher with your concerns. If nothing changes, email the principal and then the superintendent if needed. Emailing will give you documentation. Since no one has complained and it seems like where you live is OK with it, be prepared to let it go or really fight hard if you want it changed. If where live is that small and conservative, be prepared for an uphil battle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Doing what and based on what? 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Did you actually read what the post said?

Teacher has been doing this for 20 years.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

It sounds like it's the teacher and the community, not the school. If no one has complained, there's not much the school would do. I would email th teacher with your concerns. If nothing changes, email the principal and then the superintendent if needed. Emailing will give you documentation. Since no one has complained and it seems like where you live is OK with it, be prepared to let it go or really fight hard if you want it changed. If where live is that small and conservative, be prepared for an uphil battle.

I agree with you.  It seems that this community is only interested in those of their own kind, so be prepared.  

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Check laws of recording (TX as long as one person knows they are recording it is legal) and have the child record the class take the recording to the district and issue a complaint. If they do not fix the situation then turn to the state and issue a complaint. Also, you can request a different teacher.

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wow... That would really bug me. I don't know what I would do honestly. I've been afraid of that kind of thing happening when my son gets to be school age because I live in a highly religious area. I didn't think such things would ever actually go on though. :/ Sorry I don't have any advice, but thanks for sharing. I'm going to be pretty cautious when mine heads to school now, and keep a sharp ear out for what goes on. Also, kudos to your kid for noticing those things and telling you!

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

in the northern states, I never heard faculty mention religion unless it was in the Worlds religions class. Since I moved south, I about gave myself whiplash turning around to look when I overhead the guidance counselor behind me telling a student who was being deported and his girlfriend that God has a way of bringing two people who love each other together again.  Defintely not something I expected to hear in a public school.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm no wonder slavery lasted so long.  " It is said for evil to continue all it takes is for good people to DO NOTHING."

Quoting Imacakebaker:

If no one has complained in 20 years, and the other parents are good with it, why are you going to complain?  The school year is almost over.  Are you just going to complain because you can?

butterfly on headlynda  

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM

He's actually reading that right now:)

Quoting momtoscott:

I would complain and try if at all possible to get my child out of that class.  It sounds truly awful, and certainly the teacher doesn't seem invested in teaching the topic well, so the quality of your son's education is being affected. 

Guess I'm lucky, my son's science teacher assigned him Dawkins's The Greatest Show on Earth to read for extra credit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)