Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Michelle Obama Talks Motherhood as Malia and Sasha Navigate Adolescence

Posted by   + Show Post

Michelle Obama Talks Motherhood as Malia and Sasha Navigate Adolescence

Michelle Obama covers Vogue. (VOGUE/Annie Leibovitz)Showing off her killer arms in a figure-flattering blue Reed Krakoff dress as well as those face-framing bangs that caused such a stir earlier this year, Michelle Obama doesn't look like your average mom on the cover of Vogue. And while she certainly isn’t, within the magazine’s pages she most definitely sounds like one, talking about life in the White House as daughters Malia and Sasha progress through adolescence – as well as helping her husband, President Barack Obama, to put his best foot forward.

"Our job is, first and foremost, to make sure our family is whole," says the FLOTUS in the April issue of the magazine. "You know, we have small kids; they’re growing every day. But I think we were both pretty straightforward when we said, ‘Our number-one priority is making sure that our family is whole.'"

Leading by Example

Now that Malia is 14 and Sasha is 11, the way they go about that has changed. She talks about how things have become more "elastic" and "flexible" when it comes to the girls, so that they can experience normal aspects of adolescence whenever possible.

"There’s a lot of energy that goes into working with staff, working with [Secret Service] agents, working with friends’ parents to figure out how do we, you know, let these kids go to the party and have a sleepover and walk through the city on their own, go to the game," says the first lady. "Any parent knows that these are the times when you’re just a scheduler and chauffeur for your kids. And that doesn’t change for us. Ninety percent of our conversation is about these girls: What are they doing? And who’s got what practice? And what birthday party is coming up? And did we get a gift for this person? You know, I mean, it is endless and it gets to be pretty exhausting, and if you take your eye off the ball, that’s when their lives become inelastic.”

Check out our animated video of Michelle Obama's best looks

And despite her husband being, ya know, the leader of the free world, he plays a large role in the day-to-day lives of the girls.

"He’s doing it while still dealing with Syria and health care," she says. "He’s as up on every friend, every party, every relationship. ... And if you’re out at dinner every night, you miss those moments where you can check in and just figure them out when they’re ready to share with you.”

The 49-year-old says that when she becomes overwhelmed or stressed with what is certainly an overwhelming life, she channels her husband, who is known for his calm demeanor.

"I’ve learned that from my husband, that sort of, you know, ability to not get too high or too low with changes and bumps in the road … to do more breathing in and just going with it. I’m learning that every day," she says. As well as to "go and enjoy it and take it in and not take things too personally.”

(VOGUE/Annie Leibovitz)

And the first lady wasn’t the only Obama to participate in the Vogue interview. As for what the president has learned from his wife, he tells the mag himself: “What Michelle has done is to remind me every day of the virtues of order. Being on time. Hanging up your clothes. Being intentional about planning time with your kids. There’s no doubt I’m a better man having spent time with Michelle."

And he's certainly better dressed. The 51-year-old politico talks about how he only used to own two suits – and, needless to say, his wardrobe is much more polished now for meetings with other world leaders.

“Thank God,” Michelle says, as her husband laughs. “Now, let me tell you: This is the man who still boasts about, This khaki pair of pants I’ve had since I was 20. And I’m like, ‘You don’t want to brag about that.’ … The girls and I are always rooting when he wears, like, a stripe. They’re like, ‘Dad! Oh, you look so handsome. Oh, stripes! You go!”

First Last of Fashion – See Michelle Obama's best dressed moments

“Michelle’s like Beyoncé in that song,” the president says. “ ‘Let me upgrade ya!’ She upgraded me.

As for her own style, which is often buzzed about whether she's wearing Reed Krakoff or her favorite, J.Crew.

Beauty Looks for All Ages

“I always say that women should wear whatever makes them feel good about themselves," she shares. "That’s what I always try to do. ... I also believe that if you’re comfortable in your clothes it’s easy to connect with people and make them feel comfortable as well. In every interaction that I have with people, I always want to show them my most authentic self.”

Mission accomplished … at least in this interview.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (41-43):
btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Great point.  I bet it is common for our idea of what we are looking for in a role model would indeed change as we grow older.  I am sure as I look back to my younger years......who I would have considered a role model would be very different than those I consider now.   You got me thinking...I am going to have to ask my two daughters who they would consider.  Should be interesting, because my youngest daughter is 17, and my oldest is 27.  I bet they give very different answers!  

Quoting Sisteract:

Role model- My comment did not address that topic.

Since I am older, I did not even consider that subject. I would not think that MO would be a role model for my nearing 26 yo daughter. She would look to people (men and women ) in the Science community and also those who are involved in International Health issues.

Quoting btamilee:

"So because she's not scrubbing the commode, she somehow has it easier? No, I disagree- she has traded the mundane tasks for other assignments. I would say that she is enduring just as much as the average American woman, but the tasks are just different.

Most would never want to trade places with her- at least most of us that treasure our privacy, anonymity and quiet peace and who have been around the block more than a few times."

Although I do think the first lady is a role model for many (and thats fine with me), she isn't what I would consider *my* personal choice for a role model.  I don't consider stars, athletes or famous people when looking for role models.  My personal preference for a role model is someone who lives a life that doesn't involve cameras, or newspaper articles, but instead.....someone who has managed to overcome great obstacles and made whatever sacrifices are necessary to better their lives, without expecting anything in return (except maybe happiness).  Nothing against Mrs. Obama, I think she is a VERY special lady....just not my number one choice for a role model.  As for the privacy issue, it has to be difficult for her, but she had to know what her life would be like, and it was a choice that she and her husband made.  My role model...my mother in law, didn't have a choice in what life dealt her.  But....she managed to overcome it, and is an amazing role model for all her grandchildren. 

honey27
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I know u should feel lucky I gave u that time.lmao.

Quoting btamilee:

Why...thanks, it actually is great, and has been fine for me. I really appreciate you taking the time for such an impressive reply! :-)

Quoting honey27:

Quoting btamilee:

Wow....why would you think I am a hater?  Explain what you know about me, other than that I mentioned that I PERSONALLY can think of other female role models.  I am proud of Mrs. Obama, and the job she has done as our first lady, but that doesn't have to mean that *I* think she is a great role model.....and just because I believe differently than YOU....does NOT make me a hater.  I consider my mother in law a much better role model for my daughters, she has overcome more in her life than most women ever have to face! 

Quoting honey27:

I look at her as a role model. Haters always have something negative to say.

Quoting btamilee:

I agree....she does look amazing.  Although many parents do share similar issues, I am sure she doesn't have to endure as much as the *average* American wife and mother does.  I appreciate that she seems to do everything with class, but on the same note.....I can think of plenty of other great women that I personally would consider better role models (not saying she isn't special). 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I think she shows that we all as parents juggle the same things:  Practices, kids, jobs, etc.  Of course...they have added stresses with their roles and careers right now.  

She lookes awesome and very classy as usual.  She is a great role model for women today.  (:

thats great. good for you.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Why of course I should.....I should feel truly blessed that you took two seconds out of your very busy day to leave such a thought provoking post.  Thanks...it made my day complete :-)

Quoting honey27:

I know u should feel lucky I gave u that time.lmao.

Quoting btamilee:

Why...thanks, it actually is great, and has been fine for me. I really appreciate you taking the time for such an impressive reply! :-)

Quoting honey27:

Quoting btamilee:

Wow....why would you think I am a hater?  Explain what you know about me, other than that I mentioned that I PERSONALLY can think of other female role models.  I am proud of Mrs. Obama, and the job she has done as our first lady, but that doesn't have to mean that *I* think she is a great role model.....and just because I believe differently than YOU....does NOT make me a hater.  I consider my mother in law a much better role model for my daughters, she has overcome more in her life than most women ever have to face! 

Quoting honey27:

I look at her as a role model. Haters always have something negative to say.

Quoting btamilee:

I agree....she does look amazing.  Although many parents do share similar issues, I am sure she doesn't have to endure as much as the *average* American wife and mother does.  I appreciate that she seems to do everything with class, but on the same note.....I can think of plenty of other great women that I personally would consider better role models (not saying she isn't special). 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I think she shows that we all as parents juggle the same things:  Practices, kids, jobs, etc.  Of course...they have added stresses with their roles and careers right now.  

She lookes awesome and very classy as usual.  She is a great role model for women today.  (:

thats great. good for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN