Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
So DH and I are eating at this AMAZING hibatchi grill in town, and we are the only other family here.
The kid of the other family is out of control! He's banging on the plate with the chopsticks, the forks and spoons, getting up and running around, you name it. And he's probably about six years old! What are the parents doing about it?
NOTHING!
I figure, since one hot topic is parenting, what are your thoughts on parents who do nothing about their kid?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (101-102):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Serious question, because i don't know:  Have customers sued and won when they've been thrown out of a restaurant for unruly behavior?  I know that a restaurant doesn't even want to be sued to begin with because, win or lose, it costs money.  But I would be astonished to think that a restaurant owner would not win in a case like this.

I know of the dangers.  My daycare provider works as a server on the weekends and she has plenty of stories.  I am just astounded when she tells them.  One time I was telling her a story about when we were at her restaurant (something unrelated to unruly kids).  This restaurant does "kids eat free" on Tuesday's and will have a kid activity at one end of the restaurant.  So anyway, I started my story by saying we placed our order and then got up and walked our kids back to the activity area.  She stopped me right there and told me that's the difference between us and a lot of parents she sees - that we actually walk with our kids to the activity area.  I was like "You mean there are parents who don't???"  I was shocked.  This restaurant is basically L shaped so half the tables in it can't even see the activity area.  I mean, who wouldn't get up and walk their young kid over there and stay with them?  I guess I shouldn't be shocked but I was.

Quoting Shoota:

Being in the service industry for 15 years, I can tell you, we cant. We will get sued. Ive been asked before by tables to go and say something, and we just cant, and dont want to, anymore than you do. It is so dangerous to have kids running around when ive got 3 or four very hot plates, and if I trip oin your kid and fall and they get hurt, guess whos fault it is? Mine. I will say something, nicely, to the parents if that occurs, or to the kids, "ok guys! Time to sit down." And the parents will usually look over, oh yeah guys, sit down. Its really annoying!

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I think management needs to grow a backbone and throw the family out of the restaurant.

Shoota
by Lauren on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Im not sure if people have sued and won. The laws in restaurants are so weird. i know restaurants have been sued for denying a pregnant woman liquor. its also that restaurants dont want to be labeled in that way. The rule of thumb is, if you have a bad experience you tell 5 people, those 5 people tell 5 more people and so on. Bad word of mouth can kill you, and with yelp and all that now. And of course the parent is going to spin it that we were in the wrong, and if we try to defend ourselves then we are being unprofessional. So, its a game most restaurant owners aren't willing to engage in. Just deal with the child while they are there, and bitch about it when they leave. :)

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Serious question, because i don't know:  Have customers sued and won when they've been thrown out of a restaurant for unruly behavior?  I know that a restaurant doesn't even want to be sued to begin with because, win or lose, it costs money.  But I would be astonished to think that a restaurant owner would not win in a case like this.

I know of the dangers.  My daycare provider works as a server on the weekends and she has plenty of stories.  I am just astounded when she tells them.  One time I was telling her a story about when we were at her restaurant (something unrelated to unruly kids).  This restaurant does "kids eat free" on Tuesday's and will have a kid activity at one end of the restaurant.  So anyway, I started my story by saying we placed our order and then got up and walked our kids back to the activity area.  She stopped me right there and told me that's the difference between us and a lot of parents she sees - that we actually walk with our kids to the activity area.  I was like "You mean there are parents who don't???"  I was shocked.  This restaurant is basically L shaped so half the tables in it can't even see the activity area.  I mean, who wouldn't get up and walk their young kid over there and stay with them?  I guess I shouldn't be shocked but I was.

Quoting Shoota:

Being in the service industry for 15 years, I can tell you, we cant. We will get sued. Ive been asked before by tables to go and say something, and we just cant, and dont want to, anymore than you do. It is so dangerous to have kids running around when ive got 3 or four very hot plates, and if I trip oin your kid and fall and they get hurt, guess whos fault it is? Mine. I will say something, nicely, to the parents if that occurs, or to the kids, "ok guys! Time to sit down." And the parents will usually look over, oh yeah guys, sit down. Its really annoying!

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I think management needs to grow a backbone and throw the family out of the restaurant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)