Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Step-dad murders 22 month old step-son....This has hit very close to home.

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

Quote:

Mountain Home airman charged with stepson's murder

Credit: Ada County Jail

Richard Laubach, 20, of Mountain Home

by Scott Evans

Bio | Email | Follow: @ScottEvansTV

KTVB.COM

Posted on March 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Updated today at 6:26 PM

MOUNTAIN HOME -- A Mountain Home airman has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 22-month-old stepson. This is not the first time he’s accused of hurting the boy.

Prosecutors in Elmore County filed the murder charge today against 20-year-old Richard Laubach.

Mountain Home Police got a call Tuesday afternoon that a young boy was injured and unresponsive. Laubach and Joseph Graham were alone in the apartment at the time the alleged abuse occurred.

Laubach was arrested Tuesday night after his stepson was brought to a Boise hospital for care. The toddler died from his injuries the next morning.

Ada County Coroner Erwin Sonnenberg performed an autopsy today on Joseph Graham and says the boy died from abusive head injury. He labeled his death as a homicide.

Police said they first thought the boy was injured in a fall, but there appeared to be more to it.

Laubach was originally charged with felony injury to a child, but that changed after Joseph’s death.

This is not the first time Laubach has been in trouble with the law.

Court documents from 2012 show Laubach has a history of abuse. He was charged with injury to a child and battery, accused of beating his wife and stepson.

In December those charges were dismissed after Laubach took an anger management course, a parenting course, safety seminar, a parenting support program and participated in two martial counseling sessions.

Elmore County Prosecuting Attorney Kristina Schindele, says she can’t say much because the 2012 charge wasn't her case, but does say at the time that decision was made it appeared to be the right one. Now she says that doesn't hold true.

"It is the worst nightmare for a prosecutor to make a decision in one case and then have that decision have such traumatic and very tragic consequences," said Schindele.

Even though Laubach is charged with murder while police are still investigating if there is more evidence of abuse.

"I'm not really aware of all of the history, that's what we're obtaining. Obviously we're trying to inquire as to the relationship between Laubach and his wife, Laubach and J.G., that's part of our investigation," said Schindele.

In court Thursday, Laubach said he is employed by the Air Force. We reached out to the Mountain Home Air Force Base for a comment, but at this point we have not heard back.

Laubach is currently being held without bond. He'll be in court again Friday. The judge is expected to set the date for his preliminary hearing.

Joseph’s family has set up a memorial account at U.S. Bank. The account is called "JoJo’s Memorial Fund."

My oldest daughter went to school with Erin, the mother of the murdered toddler.

This has my daughter so very distraught.

Over the years, there has been no mention of anything wrong in the relationship, concerning Joey or otherwise.  Not that every one talks about it.  

Erin is pregnant and due the end of this month.  She is having a boy.

We all rush to judge and I admit, I have had some pretty awful thoughts in regards to Erin and why she stayed with this man, much less married him.

At this point, I pray for her and the road ahead of her.  I cannot imagine.

I have told my daughter that she will never be able to fully comprehend the reasons why people do what they do, as they do.  That there is always more to a story and unless we are walking in their shoes, we cannot fully comprehend or understand.

I am curious, however, as to how the Air Force handled this man's previous charges and such.  He is in Security Forces.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Oh this is tragic. I can't see why she would stay but abused women aren't always strong enough to walk away. I imagine she's blanking herself which, honestly, she should be but I still feel for her. That poor baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

How awful.  Seems we're hearing about more and more of this kind of thing these days. Makes one wonder just what the heck is wrong with people.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

Oh this is tragic. I can't see why she would stay but abused women aren't always strong enough to walk away. I imagine she's blanking herself which, honestly, she should be but I still feel for her. That poor baby

She was abused by her father and ended up moving out right after high school.  Her mother never believed her.  

Joey's father ran as soon as he found out about the pregnancy.  Being in the Air Force, he could only run so far but he never had any thing to do with Joey.

It is a mess and one we have read about often.  Too often.  

This time, however, my daughter looks at her son, my Grandson, who is only 2 months younger than Joey, and asks herself why.  It is heartbreaking.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM
:( sorry, not much else that can be said! It seems like everyone failed this little boy!
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Sadly many times military over looks these issues as they are considered civilian matters. They figure they are punished by normal law and as long as it doesn't interfere with their military duties all is okay. I know this from my oDD's ex. He was in and out of jail but so long as he was there for drill all was good. He now is MIA. NG is not even looking for him other than phone calls to his parents. The douche is living in the RV across from his parents home do they pick him up NO.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Quoting glitterteaz:

Sadly many times military over looks these issues as they are considered civilian matters. They figure they are punished by normal law and as long as it doesn't interfere with their military duties all is okay. I know this from my oDD's ex. He was in and out of jail but so long as he was there for drill all was good. He now is MIA. NG is not even looking for him other than phone calls to his parents. The douche is living in the RV across from his parents home do they pick him up NO.

I would not doubt that the Air Force is not concerned at all.  Although there are procedures they are supposed to follow but ya.................

Had all of this taken place on the base, in housing, I have to wonder how it would have been handled.  

I lived on this base for over 6 years.

carlyshort
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I'm confused on one part.

Who is joesph Graham?

And was he there when the baby was beat? Where was the mother?
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM

It may have been handled by them on the base. No idea on that one but unless it interferes with their bottom line they do not give a shit typically. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting glitterteaz:

I would not doubt that the Air Force is not concerned at all.  Although there are procedures they are supposed to follow but ya.................

Had all of this taken place on the base, in housing, I have to wonder how it would have been handled.  

I lived on this base for over 6 years.

carlyshort
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Oh, I am ad af and we had a airman kill himself and two children in base housing. That airman also had previous run ins and even had a activecase open with family advocacy. His superiors knew he was troubled.

It doesng surprise me this happened. The af isn't the best at working to prevent these things
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting carlyshort:

I'm confused on one part.

Who is joesph Graham?

And was he there when the baby was beat? Where was the mother?

Joseph, or Joey, was the 22 month old toddler.

The mother was at work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)