Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about your stuff?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 42 Replies

Do you get attached to stuff?

Do you easily purge things?

Are there particular things you get attached to while others are easy to discard?

How do you feel about your stuff?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I am the type that will have a growing pile, get tired of it and then throw most of it away. A couple days later, I feel that I threw away several things I shouldn't of so I'll avoid throwing anything away until I get the urge to purge again. :)

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I don't hold onto things. I am the kind that gets rid of most things easily. If its something I haven't used in awhile I will either give it away or throw it away. I can't stand clutter.

Cubanmom84
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It depends, like my kitchen stuff, no one messes or moves my kitchen stuff lol nor in my room lol  but everything else for me can be thrown away. My parents were extremely materialistic, my house looked like a chinese musium (my mom was into chinese things) with like paintings and actual candle holders, it was horrible, and my mom till this day still has some of those things and wont let it go. I in the other hand, as long as I have a roof over my head and we are healthy, am cool....

But I like to cook, and my kitchen stuff is precious to me lol

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this

After a series of moves within a short time span that had me moving into smaller and smaller spaces (working my way into a NYC apartment) I learned to let go....It was liberating!

If ever I feel the stuff starting to build up again now, I just watch an episode of "Hoarders" and then I am motivated for another purge. LOL.

Neon Washable Paint

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM

The things that mean something to me REALLY mean something.  Just things that I bought, eh I'm able to part with, not as easily as I'd like to bethough. SOmething nice someone gave me, that's tough, b/c then I feel like I'm tossing something they really thought about.  My Dad's things are tough though. He pass just over a year ago, and while most things went to goodwill, I still have a LOT in my basement.  And my thinking is that if it meant something to him that he kept it it's kinda mean for me to just toss it. So I'm slowly making my way through things. SLOWLY.  He had a typewriter that was made in 1887.  I have a picker friend who was thinking of buying it (for way too low!), so instead I cleaned it up and it's a  "conversation piece" atop the t.v. cabinent.  I'm hoping to do something similar with some of the other antiques. 

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Easily purge. My husband is the opposite, which makes life interesting.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Depends.

Some things I throw out with ease.

Other things I cling to as a life raft in the Atlantic.

I have two boxes of stuff I saved from high school, cards, notes, pressed flowers, etc.  Very important.  A giant box of photos and mementos of the kids from when they were little.  Very important.

Most everything else?  Who cares.  :-)

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I have too much stuff but each month I get a postcard fro. Vietnam Vets to pick up things and schedule a pickup. So once a month, at least one bag of stuff leaves my house. On Wednesday 3 bags went out. Next pick up is the 29th.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I'm not attached to stuff.   I don't like clutter, I like empty spaces.  They feel more peaceful.   I toss things easily and rarely buy anything that isn't a necessity.  Except for books, which I love love love.  But now with ereaders, my books don't clutter anything up at all :)

btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I am horrible at letting things *go*.  I have been working on dejunking....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)