Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Giving women rights destroys the fabric of society...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 57 Replies

Has giving women rights in the US destroyed OUR country?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/15/us-women-un-rights-idUSBRE92E03D20130315

Egypt's Islamists warn giving women some rights could destroy society

Egypt's ruling Muslim Brotherhood warns that a U.N. declaration on women's rights could destroy society by allowing a woman to travel, work and use contraception without her husband's approval and letting her control family spending.

The Islamist movement that backs President Mohamed Mursi gave 10 reasons why Muslim countries should "reject and condemn" the declaration, which the U.N. Commission on the Status of Women is racing to negotiate a consensus deal on by Friday.

The Brotherhood, whose Freedom and Justice Party propelled Mursi to power in June, posted the statement on its website, www.ikhwanweb.com, and the website of the party on Thursday.

The Muslim Brotherhood said the declaration would give "wives full rights to file legal complaints against husbands accusing them of rape or sexual harassment, obliging competent authorities to deal husbands punishments similar to those prescribed for raping or sexually harassing a stranger."

U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice last week touted at the commission - a global policy-making body created in 1946 for the advancement of women - progress made by the United States in reducing the rate of violence against women by their partners.

"All 50 states in our union now have laws that treat date rape or spousal rape as just as much of a crime as rape by a stranger," Rice said. "We cannot live in truly free societies, if women and girls are not free to reach their full potential."

The contrasting views show the gap that needs to be breached in negotiations on the declaration, which this year is focused on urging an end to violence against women and girls. The commission failed to agree a declaration last year on a theme of empowering rural women due to similar disagreements.

WORLD IS WATCHING

Egypt has proposed an amendment, diplomats say, that would allow countries to avoid implementing the declaration if it clashed with national laws, religious or cultural values. But some diplomats say this would undermine the entire declaration.

The Muslim Brotherhood warned the declaration would give girls sexual freedom, legalize abortion, provide teenagers with contraceptives, give equality to women in marriage and require men and women to share duties such as child care and chores.

It said the declaration would allow "equal rights to homosexuals, and provide protection and respect for prostitutes" and "equal rights to adulterous wives and illegitimate sons resulting from adulterous relationships."

A coalition of Arab human rights groups - from Egypt, Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, Jordan and Tunisia - called on countries at the Commission on the Status of Women on Thursday to stop using religion, culture, and tradition to justify abuse of women.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not want to live in (or visit) a country that would feel that way about women... Yikes! And no, giving women rights in the US hasn't destroyed it. Not in the least.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know about ya'll but there are a lot of women with a lot more sense than men. Giving women rights is ONLY a good thing!

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM

This is no surprise.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Everytime I read stuff like this I wonder why they fear us so much. 

babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

im so so so glad i dont live anywhere like that

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM
4 moms liked this

funny how some CMer's think the same way

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

funny how some CMer's think the same way

I do giggle at that,

but you know what is funnier, the CMer's that don't think that way, yet luves them some Obama, when Obama is a full blown Muslim Brotherhood supporter.

There's a giggler for ya.

nb34
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM

More and mores tudies have shown that campaigns for women's rights, acheive best results when international and wetsern models are not imposed.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

From the OP:

A coalition of Arab human rights groups - from Egypt, Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, Jordan and Tunisia - called on countries at the Commission on the Status of Women on Thursday to stop using religion, culture, and tradition to justify abuse of women.

So it seems there are people fighting the justification of the abuse of women in Egypt.  I hope they are successful.

It seems that the MB is fighting against important measures put forth by the UN, because then it will destroy their country's sovereignty and laws.  They are wary of giving homosexuals rights and women full rights to their body and autonomy.

The MB sounds a lot like the GOP nowadays.  Including their over-the-top reactionary rhetoric.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This is so stomach churning awful, I don't know how best to react. I keep leaning towards violence but I'm sure my point would get dulled in the fracas.
I hope they fail in their endeavors to legally bind women to permanent servitude.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)