Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dogs in Restaurants, do you think they should be allowed?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 113 Replies

My state just redefined what a service animals can be let in restaurants. Dogs and mini horses, yup that's right, mini horses. Apparently they are easily trainable like dogs, but I cant help but giggle when I think of seeing one at the table next to me. LOL. Anyways...I have a costumer who brings in her very small dog. Its not a trained service dog, just a pet. She says she needs for anxiety and that she will sue if we deny her service because of this. The dog doesn't need to have a jacket informing it is a service dog, or be trained as so. According to law, but I can tell you the other patrons, and this is a high end place, don't appreciate the dog being there. What do you think? Do you think we should just let any dog in the front door?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Well, let's think about this.

if the dog is goofy, not well trained and the owner is obviously having an issue with it... no, the dog should not be let in

But, I do think that an animal should be trained to be a service animal. We are in the process of getting my lab trained for me. He is laid back enough lol

I also think you should be required to have your dog wear a jacket, because when they are working, you really don't want people coming up to just touch them. (shouldn't do that anyway.)

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM
5 moms liked this
A yappy little dog is not needed for anxiety. That would cause me to get anxiety! LOL!

Okay, in all seriousness they do have anxiety disorder therapy dogs but they go through training and if this lady hasn't put her dog through classes then its not legally a service dog. "sparky helps me with anxiety" so she can eat at her favorite place isn't a good enough excuse for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

If the animal is indeed a service animal, of any kind, they should be allowed in.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Well Said.

Quoting Sekirei:

Well, let's think about this.

if the dog is goofy, not well trained and the owner is obviously having an issue with it... no, the dog should not be let in

But, I do think that an animal should be trained to be a service animal. We are in the process of getting my lab trained for me. He is laid back enough lol

I also think you should be required to have your dog wear a jacket, because when they are working, you really don't want people coming up to just touch them. (shouldn't do that anyway.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

A yappy little dog is not needed for anxiety. That would cause me to get anxiety! LOL!

Okay, in all seriousness they do have anxiety disorder therapy dogs but they go through training and if this lady hasn't put her dog through classes then its not legally a service dog. "sparky helps me with anxiety" so she can eat at her favorite place isn't a good enough excuse for me.

Yep.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

sounds like she just wants little poodles in with her at her favourite place and is daring you to bring the law into it.

she sounds like a bitch.  I would bring the law into it...because I can be a bigger bitch LOL

meriana
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I can totally see allowing service dogs in places. There are people who need a service dog for anxiety issues but they generally are trained and the service dogs I've seen are easily recognizeable as such. There are people, I'm sure, who simply have a pet they are especially and strongly attached to, don't like to and won't leave it alone (they tend to treat them like human children), who take advantage of the service dog allowances. Anxiety issues would be a great way to take advantage as no one can really say a person doesn't have such issues. There really should be something in the law that requires either the animal be wearing the service jacket or the patron to show some form of legit documentation that the animal is needed by the patron, maybe a card similar to a drivers license or something they could present if questioned.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If the animal is indeed a service animal, of any kind, they should be allowed in.

This adding if they are in service dog training they should be allowed as how else will they learn how to behave in these kinds of places if they are not allowed to go in. I take my service dog in training in everywhere, he has a harness stating he is in training and have only one place tell me to take him out after he had an accident. BTW it was not a food place. My dog behaves great and just lays under the table and sleeps lol.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Under the law, I believe she would be required to produce a card from her doctor or some other organization giving validity to her story. I'd simply explain that pets arent' allowed and since there isn't a Service Dog jacket on the animal you need to see her documentation before the dog is allowed in. Quote some health code regulations/violations.

Shoota
by Lauren on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yeah, she kinda is. I'm all for service dogs, they are needed. but I think they should be trained and also have to wear a jacket. Otherwise, I don't know how your dog is going to behave. Also, the funny thing is, its a health code issue. Technically they are not allowed by health standards, but we could get sued if we don't let her. (We've checked, believe me). Also we have the right to refuse service, but she can still sure us saying it was over that damn dog.

Quoting turtle68:

sounds like she just wants little poodles in with her at her favourite place and is daring you to bring the law into it.

she sounds like a bitch.  I would bring the law into it...because I can be a bigger bitch LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured