Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What can you tell me about pennsylvania

Posted by   + Show Post
ok my kids and i are trying to make a new start for ourselves because of my divorce and what my ex is putting the kids through. So we were looking at pennsylvania. Does anyone know anything about the state besides the hershey factory?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Shitsburgh is in PA, which is home to the squeelers. :P

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My son goes to Villanova, outside of Philly. He loves it there. I love the drive there and the entire area. Of course visiting is far different from living there, but I really like the area.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM
we were looking at ma also but wasnt sure if there would be work.

Quoting kam013:

Quoting pixie92:

i dont think can shock us like moving here did and we only did it for my soon to be ex. Tell me whats the weather like? is there tornadoes or anything like that? how pretty is the state? what types of things are there to do? sorry besides the baby im becoming single and my kids are now adults so we are hoping there are fun things to do for all of us.

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

I live in Central Pa, close to where they have the Little League World Series. It's right off the Susquehanna River. I moved here from the Philly area. It was a big culture shock going from city to rural life. Lol

I agree that there's not as many job opportunities but it is a lovely area to raise children.

I lived just outside of Williamsport, PA for 3 years.  Williamsport is good sized, but far smaller than say Philly or Pittsburg, but what I liked about it is that you had that small city feel and just outside you had lots of rural countryside.  Very beautiful, mountains, valleys, river.  

I didn't find the weather to be that much different than here in New England.  Spring, summer, winter, fall.  

I actually thought it was kinda the best of both worlds.  Little league is huge in this area

Loved having the Susquehanna River nearby, since we moved from Cape Cod, I needed some form of water.  We ended up moving back to MA because I missed the ocean so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM
what town is it? we love nature!!! is there any work around there? although we want out now we are trying to do it right, find a place, find a home and find jobs.

Quoting MrsHurley08:

We just moved about 20 min outside Pittsburgh in august.... so far we love it! It has a nice country feel with eady access to the city where there is plenty to do. We are nature lovers and this is definitely a great place for that.. its gorgeous in the fall!!! If u have more specific questions just adk!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM
which town is it? i truely know nothing about the state so we are trying to get names so we can look for a house and get information on the town befor we move! its our fresh start away from everyone we know!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I am from just outside of NYC and now I live in NE PA, I love it here, it's beautiful and peaceful.  Far enough away from the cities to not have to deal with the crime and close enough to be able to work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Pittsburg and Philly, with Kentucky in between.

Tastycakes.

They're called hoagies. 

I eat mine "wit."

"Yo" is a multipurpose word.

Commonwealth.

If you're gonna make your own hoagies, you only want Amoroso's.

Yuengling is the oldest one in the U.S. But look for the porter. It is the original, the only one they used to make. PA's Guiness. Mmmm...

kam013
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:10 AM
We have jobs here in MA, even when the economy was at its worst there were still jobs available. What do you do for work? Biggest drawback to MA is that the cost of living is high.

Quoting pixie92:

we were looking at ma also but wasnt sure if there would be work.

Quoting kam013:

Quoting pixie92:

i dont think can shock us like moving here did and we only did it for my soon to be ex. Tell me whats the weather like? is there tornadoes or anything like that? how pretty is the state? what types of things are there to do? sorry besides the baby im becoming single and my kids are now adults so we are hoping there are fun things to do for all of us.

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

I live in Central Pa, close to where they have the Little League World Series. It's right off the Susquehanna River. I moved here from the Philly area. It was a big culture shock going from city to rural life. Lol

I agree that there's not as many job opportunities but it is a lovely area to raise children.

I lived just outside of Williamsport, PA for 3 years.  Williamsport is good sized, but far smaller than say Philly or Pittsburg, but what I liked about it is that you had that small city feel and just outside you had lots of rural countryside.  Very beautiful, mountains, valleys, river.  

I didn't find the weather to be that much different than here in New England.  Spring, summer, winter, fall.  

I actually thought it was kinda the best of both worlds.  Little league is huge in this area

Loved having the Susquehanna River nearby, since we moved from Cape Cod, I needed some form of water.  We ended up moving back to MA because I missed the ocean so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I hate snow so for me that is a deterrent--I used to live in Beaver County, near Pittsburgh. If you are interested in that area, look at Cranberry, PA---close to the city, but the taxes are much less since it's not in Allegheny county. Lots of shopping, restaurants, good schools, etc.  Pittsburgh is an amazing city, DH and I both love it but we moved south, I had a job opportunity and I hate snow. I have no idea what the averages are for snow, but I know today my in laws who still live there are upset because it might snow on their St. Patty's day parade! Yuck!  Plenty of lakes, ponds, woods, etc--Erie is about two hours away and nice place to go swimming.

Quoting pixie92:

We were looking around pittsburgh. What do you mean it snows alot? where we live now it snows for about 6 to 8 months and we get a lot. Is there lakes and woods around?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Pittsburgh is gorgeous. It snows a lot. Philly has a horrid crime rate.  

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:34 AM

don't be hating on all our fabulous rings!!!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Shitsburgh is in PA, which is home to the squeelers. :P

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Before moving anywhere I check the taxes. Some states have income tax, some don't. Some tax groceries and some don't. That makes a big difference in the long term. Hey, good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN