Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vote Against the Black Guy ...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 40 Replies

Kris Crawford, South Carolina Republican, Remembers It's 'Good Politics To Oppose The Black Guy'

The Huffington Post  |  By  Posted:   |  Updated: 03/13/2013 6:11 pm EDT

Democrats jumped on South Carolina state Rep. Kris Crawford (R) this week after his vote against Medicaid expansion, helping to bring attention to racially charged comments he made on the issue in January.

In a January interview with the Charleston Regional Business Journal, Crawford explained that he -- unlike many of his Republican colleagues -- supported the measure to expand Medicaid eligibility under President Barack Obama's health care law. But Crawford predicted that he would be a dissenting voice in his party, suggesting that his fellow Republicans knew they would benefit from opposing Obama, in part because of race.

“The politics are going to overwhelm the policy," Crawford said. "It is good politics to oppose the black guy in the White House right now, especially for the Republican Party."

The comment didn't get much pickup until Tuesday, when it came time for the state House to vote on the Medicaid expansion bill. Crawford, a onetime proponent of the effort, voted with his party to reject it.

South Carolina Democrats quickly blasted Crawford's reversal, calling it a sign that he was willing to play into the racially charged motivations that he had earlier accused his colleagues of following.

"Obviously Rep. Crawford let politics overwhelm policy and agreed with his own comment 'it is good politics to oppose the black guy in the White House right now,'" said Amanda Loveday, executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party,according to St. Andrews Patch. "This wasn't about race; this was about 44,000 new jobs, over a billion dollars pumped into our economy and health insurance for 250,000 more South Carolinians."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/kris-crawford-south-carolina_n_2870284.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

SO..... How large of a role do you feel race is playing in our current political system re: Obama after this quote? What do you think of his comment? 

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I don't know who this guy is, but he sounds like a blow hard. Was calling the president 'the black guy in office' crude? Sure. was it racist/prejudiced? I have no idea.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

pathetic

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Crawford dude is a limp dick.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

popcorn 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I don't know who this guy is, but he sounds like a blow hard. Was calling the president 'the black guy in office' crude? Sure. was it racist/prejudiced? I have no idea.

I find it very interesting that he changed his vote ... 

So do you think he was just simply referencing President Obama as "the black guy" and not making a broader reference that they are voting against him BECAUSE he's the black guy?

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

popcorn 

IDK if we'll see a lot of action here ... 

Shoota
by Lauren on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If it didn't have anything to do with race, then why would they say it like that? If he were Jewish, would be OK to say that Jewish guy in the white house?

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Race has been playing a huge part in politics forever and particuarly since 2008. People pretend that they don't like Obama because of his "policies" ( which they didn't even know about in 2008) but we know the real reason why so many don't like him ( and don't like his wife whom they say looks like a monkey and has a big butt)

Nobody dares own up to it, except when they think nobody will find out. Or when they are in a group who all feel the same way.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I find it very interesting that he changed his vote ... 

So do you think he was just simply referencing President Obama as "the black guy" and not making a broader reference that they are voting against him BECAUSE he's the black guy?

I can't say because I don't now much about this state or its reps.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I think all these states including my own are so flipping stupid. They are only hurting their state and the ppl living in them by prolonging the inevitable. They lost they need to get over it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured