Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Autistic Child Found Living In A Cage In O’Fallon, MO

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 27 Replies

O’FALLON, MO (KTVI) – The parents of a child with autism, who prosecutors said was found locked in a cage in an O’Fallon, Missouri basement, are now facing felony Child Endangerment charges.

Victoria Smith and Terry Smith of O’Fallon, MO are charged with felony Endangering the Welfare of a Child in the First Degree. The St. Charles County Prosecuting Attorney’s office filed the charges after a two-and-a-half year investigation.

“This situation is something that is just not going to be tolerated,” St. Charles Prosecuting Attorney Tim Lohmar said. “You look at the evidence and it is just not appropriate.”

ADAM ROBERTS
meth
home
Mardi Gras Parade-286
No Pants Metro Ride_017
This Week’s Mug Shots: 3/11/13
Pictures: Before And After Meth Addiction
Check out your neighborhood!
Pictures: 2013 Soulard Mardi Gras
Pictures: No Pants MetroLink Ride

According to the prosecutor’s office, on December 15, 2010, O’Fallon Police and Missouri Social Services officials went to the home on Half Moon Drive after an anonymous tip was called into the Missouri Child Abuse and Neglect hotline. When officers arrived, they found a six-year-old child in a cage. The boy was reportedly naked and sitting in urine and feces.

“That is just terrible and so hard to understand,” Neighbor Theresa Brightwell said. “Everything seemed normal, but you never know what is going on behind closed doors.”

The child was being kept in a 3-foot wide by 3-foot tall make-shift cage that was held together with zip ties, tension straps and bungee cords.

“That child deserves a good life,” Brightwell said. “I would she him out here sometimes, but we just did not know.”

Five other children ranging in age from 11 months to eight years old were also found in the home with an older relative.

According to the prosecutor’s office, the home was cluttered and unsanitary. Authorities also found the door knobs on the children’s rooms installed backwards so they could be locked from the outside.

The children told investigators they were seldom allowed to play with the caged child and fed him hot dogs and chicken nuggets through the bars of the cage.

Victoria Smith and Terry Smith are not currently in custody, but prosecutors said they expect the couple to turn themselves in soon.

“They should be in jail for a really long time,” Brightwell said.

They could spend up to seven years in prison.

LINK

WTF is wrong with people? 7 years ain't near enough. I hope they get theirs in jail. Scumbags.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

BUMP!

AliKatAK47
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I am confused by this. It seems to me like these people are terrified of their children. I wonder about the behavior of the children. Especially the caged one (There had to be a reason he was caged while others weren't).  I hope those people get help (because they are obviously suffering from some mental issues) and that the kids find help as well.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM
How sad :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am confused by this. It seems to me like these people are terrified of their children. I wonder about the behavior of the children. Especially the caged one (There had to be a reason he was caged while others weren't).  I hope those people get help (because they are obviously suffering from some mental issues) and that the kids find help as well.

Good questions.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Abusive pathetic scum of the earth less than humans. And you know that this child is going to be difficult to place in a foster home. If his parental rights are terminated, which they should be, he'll be a difficult child to place in an adoptive family as well. I hope a strong, loving, appropriate, anti-privacy (pro-life) family from his home state comes forward immediately, gets all the appropriate training, & takes in the entire sibling group.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Do you feel the parents may fear their child because they have him in a cage?

All of those children deserve much, much better than they have been given by their parents.

The parents need to take up residence in prison.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

:face palm:

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Saw this on the news yesterday. Freaking horrible!
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I wouldnt say terrified. I have an autistic child. They are difficult to control and handle. Thats most likely the reason for everything. They didnt want to deal with kids. Imo.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

imultracool
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
What?! I dont care how badly a child behaves you never lock them in a cage! In this case I'm sure it was the laziness and shittiness of the parents that were the reasons the kids were locked away.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)