Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic support marriage equality by larger margin than the rest of America

Posted by   + Show Post

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:50 EDT
A Catholic churchgoer holds a cross and rosary beads in Ireland in 2010. (AFP Photo)

US Catholics support gay marriage by a larger margin than ordinary Americans despite Church teachings that forbid it, a new poll out Friday has found.

The Quinnipiac University poll found 54 percent of Catholics support same-sex marriage while just 38 percent are opposed, compared to a 47-43 percent margin among all American voters.

Both margins represent a reversal from the 36-55 percent opposition among all voters the group found as recently as July 2008.

“Catholic voters are leading American voters toward support for same-sex marriage,” said Peter Brown, assistant director of the polling institute.

US Catholics are more ambivalent when its comes to the Church, with 52 percent saying it is moving in the right direction, while the same percentage says Church leaders are out of touch with their views.

Fifty-five percent said the next pope should move the Church in a new direction, while 38 percent said he should maintain the Church as it is.

“Looking at all adult Catholics, different from the wider survey of all registered voters, we see a conflicted group,” Brown said.

Those surveyed said priests should be allowed to marry by a margin of 62-30 percent and 64 percent said the next pope should relax rules on contraception, compared to 28 percent who were opposed.

Eighty-one percent of Catholic respondents said the Church should do more to combat child sex abuse by priests.

Quinnipiac surveyed 497 Catholic adults from February 27 to March 4, with a margin of error of 4.4 percent.

The same-sex marriage question was asked of 1,944 registered voters nationwide, with a margin of error of 2.2 percent.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/08/catholic-support-marriage-equality-by-larger-margin-than-the-rest-of-america/

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM

so you're not a good catholic unless you're willing to force catholic dogma on others? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Also, I don't know where Quinnipiac gets folks to respond to polls, but they are based in the east coast, where some of the most liberal Catholics reside. 

Cafeteria Catholics frustrate me.... if you don't want to accept Catholic teaching, there are PLENTY of other Christian denominations to choose from: Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

kansasmom1978
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM

that is because most of the priests who abuse are gay

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Disgusting and ignorant. Also excusing baby raping priests by (reprehensibly) blaming it on the gay.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

News flash, pedophilia and homosexuality are two very different things. 

Quoting kansasmom1978:

kansasmom1978
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I was being sarcastic and most the time the abuse children are boys. 

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Disgusting and ignorant. Also excusing baby raping priests by (reprehensibly) blaming it on the gay.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It was not my intent to say that. I do not place others in the categories of "good" or "bad" Catholic; just "practicing" and "non-practicing." 

Please do not try to spin my statements further, and I will do the same. Thank you.

Quoting autodidact:

so you're not a good catholic unless you're willing to force catholic dogma on others? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Also, I don't know where Quinnipiac gets folks to respond to polls, but they are based in the east coast, where some of the most liberal Catholics reside. 

Cafeteria Catholics frustrate me.... if you don't want to accept Catholic teaching, there are PLENTY of other Christian denominations to choose from: Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

spin?  just answer the question. do you feel that YOUR chuch's dogma should dictate the lives of non-catholics? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

It was not my intent to say that. I do not place others in the categories of "good" or "bad" Catholic; just "practicing" and "non-practicing." 

Please do not try to spin my statements further, and I will do the same. Thank you.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

why bring up their gender? 

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I was being sarcastic and most the time the abuse children are boys. 

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
In a sense, yes. But please hear me out...
I truly believe my religion has it right. As an American, I have the freedom to vote with my conscience. So long as my conscience does no harm to others, I will choose the people and issues that best convey my beliefs.
Those who do not agree with me are welcome to make their voices heard as well. If there are more people who agree with them than wuth me, well... that's just how it goes. I will not grouse or stomp my feet if I am not getting my way. If more people agree with me, then that's okay, too.
But I think we're deviating from the topic, so I'll explain how it applies here. As I have said before, I don't want a gay marriage, so I won't have one. As such, I don't support it outright. If people who support gay marriage get what they want, that is really fine by me too. This is America after all.

Quoting autodidact:

spin?  just answer the question. do you feel that YOUR chuch's dogma should dictate the lives of non-catholics? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My aunt is a Catholic nun (Dominican order), has been for over 60 years. She supports same sex marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN