Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic support marriage equality by larger margin than the rest of America

Posted by   + Show Post

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:50 EDT
A Catholic churchgoer holds a cross and rosary beads in Ireland in 2010. (AFP Photo)

US Catholics support gay marriage by a larger margin than ordinary Americans despite Church teachings that forbid it, a new poll out Friday has found.

The Quinnipiac University poll found 54 percent of Catholics support same-sex marriage while just 38 percent are opposed, compared to a 47-43 percent margin among all American voters.

Both margins represent a reversal from the 36-55 percent opposition among all voters the group found as recently as July 2008.

“Catholic voters are leading American voters toward support for same-sex marriage,” said Peter Brown, assistant director of the polling institute.

US Catholics are more ambivalent when its comes to the Church, with 52 percent saying it is moving in the right direction, while the same percentage says Church leaders are out of touch with their views.

Fifty-five percent said the next pope should move the Church in a new direction, while 38 percent said he should maintain the Church as it is.

“Looking at all adult Catholics, different from the wider survey of all registered voters, we see a conflicted group,” Brown said.

Those surveyed said priests should be allowed to marry by a margin of 62-30 percent and 64 percent said the next pope should relax rules on contraception, compared to 28 percent who were opposed.

Eighty-one percent of Catholic respondents said the Church should do more to combat child sex abuse by priests.

Quinnipiac surveyed 497 Catholic adults from February 27 to March 4, with a margin of error of 4.4 percent.

The same-sex marriage question was asked of 1,944 registered voters nationwide, with a margin of error of 2.2 percent.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/08/catholic-support-marriage-equality-by-larger-margin-than-the-rest-of-america/

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

have you ever had to sign an affidatvid or one of those 'in case you die' forms at a hospital. I had to just to give birth and trust me, you can name ANYONE. All a gay person has to do is write anyone's name down as heir and they will get that property. The laws you speak of are old and done away with. This is a lie that GLT community uses to spread fear about not legalizing thier cause: to make marriage about adult gratification and nothing more.

Quoting autodidact:

it DOES do harm to others. do you think it's acceptable for a mother to die alone, both she and her children deprived of thier last minutes together? because that happened. a lesbian couple who were forced through marriage discrimination to pay legal fees to establish the kind of access that for straight families come with a marriage license. despite their trouble to make these arrangements, the hospital where the woman was treated wouldn't honor the documentation, or let the dying woman's family spend her last time in her room, they refused to recognize their right as a family to have that. 

people have lost property they were invested in this way. a woman whose lover wanted to honor their commmitment by taking her home to care for her after a debilitating accident was blocked from doing so by the same parents who'd thrown their daughter out and disowned her for being gay. 

that's the harm it does. 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

In a sense, yes. But please hear me out...
I truly believe my religion has it right. As an American, I have the freedom to vote with my conscience. So long as my conscience does no harm to others, I will choose the people and issues that best convey my beliefs.
Those who do not agree with me are welcome to make their voices heard as well. If there are more people who agree with them than wuth me, well... that's just how it goes. I will not grouse or stomp my feet if I am not getting my way. If more people agree with me, then that's okay, too.
But I think we're deviating from the topic, so I'll explain how it applies here. As I have said before, I don't want a gay marriage, so I won't have one. As such, I don't support it outright. If people who support gay marriage get what they want, that is really fine by me too. This is America after all.

Quoting autodidact:

spin?  just answer the question. do you feel that YOUR chuch's dogma should dictate the lives of non-catholics? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

It was not my intent to say that. I do not place others in the categories of "good" or "bad" Catholic; just "practicing" and "non-practicing." 

Please do not try to spin my statements further, and I will do the same. Thank you.

Quoting autodidact:

so you're not a good catholic unless you're willing to force catholic dogma on others? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Also, I don't know where Quinnipiac gets folks to respond to polls, but they are based in the east coast, where some of the most liberal Catholics reside. 

Cafeteria Catholics frustrate me.... if you don't want to accept Catholic teaching, there are PLENTY of other Christian denominations to choose from: Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

BloKo's back!!!

Hmmm....here I thought she'd been banned from this group. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not lying, fuck you very much. This happened before Obama fixed the situation. there are MANY benefits conferred by a marriage license that cannot be replicated by contract, and even if they could, it's discriminatory that some couples are forced to pay thousands in legal fees to put into place. 

Quoting LavenderMom23:

have you ever had to sign an affidatvid or one of those 'in case you die' forms at a hospital. I had to just to give birth and trust me, you can name ANYONE. All a gay person has to do is write anyone's name down as heir and they will get that property. The laws you speak of are old and done away with. This is a lie that GLT community uses to spread fear about not legalizing thier cause: to make marriage about adult gratification and nothing more.

Quoting autodidact:

it DOES do harm to others. do you think it's acceptable for a mother to die alone, both she and her children deprived of thier last minutes together? because that happened. a lesbian couple who were forced through marriage discrimination to pay legal fees to establish the kind of access that for straight families come with a marriage license. despite their trouble to make these arrangements, the hospital where the woman was treated wouldn't honor the documentation, or let the dying woman's family spend her last time in her room, they refused to recognize their right as a family to have that. 

people have lost property they were invested in this way. a woman whose lover wanted to honor their commmitment by taking her home to care for her after a debilitating accident was blocked from doing so by the same parents who'd thrown their daughter out and disowned her for being gay. 

that's the harm it does. 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I truly believe my religion has it right. As an American, I have the freedom to vote with my conscience. So long as my conscience does no harm to others, I will choose the people and issues that best convey my beliefs.
Those who do not agree with me are welcome to make their voices heard as well. If there are more people who agree with them than wuth me, well... that's just how it goes. I will not grouse or stomp my feet if I am not getting my way. If more people agree with me, then that's okay, too.
But I think we're deviating from the topic, so I'll explain how it applies here. As I have said before, I don't want a gay marriage, so I won't have one. As such, I don't support it outright. If people who support gay marriage get what they want, that is really fine by me too. This is America after all.

Quoting autodidact:

spin?  just answer the question. do you feel that YOUR chuch's dogma should dictate the lives of non-catholics? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

It was not my intent to say that. I do not place others in the categories of "good" or "bad" Catholic; just "practicing" and "non-practicing." 

Please do not try to spin my statements further, and I will do the same. Thank you.

Quoting autodidact:

so you're not a good catholic unless you're willing to force catholic dogma on others? 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Also, I don't know where Quinnipiac gets folks to respond to polls, but they are based in the east coast, where some of the most liberal Catholics reside. 

Cafeteria Catholics frustrate me.... if you don't want to accept Catholic teaching, there are PLENTY of other Christian denominations to choose from: Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

and some churches are perfectly willing to perform SSM as a sacrement, other churches should not  be allowed to tell them they may not. 

I'm not in favor of forcing churches  to marry anyone they don't wish to. 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

There's two kinds of marriage: legal and sacramental. Legal marriage is between whomever the government allows it to be between. Sacramental marriage happens within the bounds of a given religion. My uncle married his wife in a courthouse. That doesn't make her any less my aunt.... legally. But in the Catholic church, they're not sacramentally married. It doesn't bother any of us, including the church they attend.

Go ahead, make your voice heard. Let it be louder than those who would say legal and sacramental marriage should be exactly the same. The examples you posted speak to allowing legal marriage, or civil unions.

Quoting autodidact:

that's the harm it does. 

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Jesus said nothing about homosexuality.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

My aunt is a Catholic nun (Dominican order), has been for over 60 years. She supports same sex marriage.

Jesus is clear about the sin of homosexuality. However one conducts themselves they will lead many souls to Heaven or to hell. Immorality offends God deeply. The body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. In terms of immorality and the Sacred Scriptures, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, forever. Sexual practices & sinfulness do not depend upon the times we are living in. Certainly not according to personal opinion & society.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Tim. 4:3

Nuns are usually more progressive than the priests. IMO, it's because nuns are the ones in the trenches, actually dealing with humanity.

Excuse me....Catholic Priests risk their lives daily esp in dangerous regions of the world. They not only work in the trenches, they deal with poverty, suffering and death. Obedience to the teachings of the Church is a willingness to love God more than yourself. Free will determines faithfulness & obedience to God esp when the teachings are being trampled upon. In the United States I have met many Priests who sacrifice their lives for the salvation of souls. They do not conform their Priesthood to the beliefs of those who shun the Scriptures & the moral teachings of the Church~

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I thank you especially for including priests in doing God's work "out in the trenches, dealing with humanity" as well.

All Catholics know this.  

I pray the entire world will come to recognize this also.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

My aunt is a Catholic nun (Dominican order), has been for over 60 years. She supports same sex marriage.

Jesus is clear about the sin of homosexuality. However one conducts themselves they will lead many souls to Heaven or to hell. Immorality offends God deeply. The body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. In terms of immorality and the Sacred Scriptures, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, forever. Sexual practices & sinfulness do not depend upon the times we are living in. Certainly not according to personal opinion & society.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Nuns are usually more progressive than the priests. IMO, it's because nuns are the ones in the trenches, actually dealing with humanity.

Excuse me....Catholic Priests risk their lives daily esp in dangerous regions of the world. They not only work in the trenches, they deal with poverty, suffering and death. Obedience to the teachings of the Church is a willingness to love God more than yourself. Free will determines faithfulness & obedience to God esp when the teachings are being trampled upon. In the United States I have met many Priests who sacrifice their lives for the salvation of souls. They do not conform their Priesthood to the beliefs of those who shun the Scriptures & the moral teachings of the Church~

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Any attendee or devotee of any faith has the right to agitate for change when they see wrong.

The Catholic Church has changed and evolved over the centuries.

If YOU don't like the change maybe it is time for you to seek a more fundamental church.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM

And a lot of priests are dealing with humanity by accepting them and working to change the Churchs policies.

The CC has changed many times of the centuries. I really bet they'd be interested to know what a 'REAL' Catholic has to say about that.

lol. You should call the Pope. I'm sure he is itching to hear the opinion of a self proclaimed true catholic.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I thank you especially for including priests in doing God's work "out in the trenches, dealing with humanity" as well.

All Catholics know this.  

I pray the entire world will come to recognize this also.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
What language a church uses or the style of music they implement is nothing close to dogmatic change. My church is just fine, thanks.

Quoting Momniscient:

Any attendee or devotee of any faith has the right to agitate for change when they see wrong.

The Catholic Church has changed and evolved over the centuries.

If YOU don't like the change maybe it is time for you to seek a more fundamental church.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DisabledVet
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

This tells me the Catholic Church is out of touch with their "flock". But that's what happens when you have a religion ruled by old men.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)