Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic support marriage equality by larger margin than the rest of America

Posted by   + Show Post

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:50 EDT
A Catholic churchgoer holds a cross and rosary beads in Ireland in 2010. (AFP Photo)

US Catholics support gay marriage by a larger margin than ordinary Americans despite Church teachings that forbid it, a new poll out Friday has found.

The Quinnipiac University poll found 54 percent of Catholics support same-sex marriage while just 38 percent are opposed, compared to a 47-43 percent margin among all American voters.

Both margins represent a reversal from the 36-55 percent opposition among all voters the group found as recently as July 2008.

“Catholic voters are leading American voters toward support for same-sex marriage,” said Peter Brown, assistant director of the polling institute.

US Catholics are more ambivalent when its comes to the Church, with 52 percent saying it is moving in the right direction, while the same percentage says Church leaders are out of touch with their views.

Fifty-five percent said the next pope should move the Church in a new direction, while 38 percent said he should maintain the Church as it is.

“Looking at all adult Catholics, different from the wider survey of all registered voters, we see a conflicted group,” Brown said.

Those surveyed said priests should be allowed to marry by a margin of 62-30 percent and 64 percent said the next pope should relax rules on contraception, compared to 28 percent who were opposed.

Eighty-one percent of Catholic respondents said the Church should do more to combat child sex abuse by priests.

Quinnipiac surveyed 497 Catholic adults from February 27 to March 4, with a margin of error of 4.4 percent.

The same-sex marriage question was asked of 1,944 registered voters nationwide, with a margin of error of 2.2 percent.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/08/catholic-support-marriage-equality-by-larger-margin-than-the-rest-of-america/

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Replies (91-98):
VeronicaTex
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Ladies, this is the lowest,  slimiest type of debating I have seen in my life, coming from you.

I feel sorry for you, and your narrow, hateful minds..

You will pave your own way to your destiny.

I,  in turn, pave my own.

Enough said....

Walking away from this post, shaking the dust from my sandals.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I am a born, raised, and bred, Midwestern, Irish catholic. Hubby was raised conservative, but Protestant. He told me he wanted to convert to Catholicism in '02. My mom was his sponsor. :) she was so proud. :) I NEVER EVER  suggested, forced, etc. hubby WANTED to convert. He's now more devout than I am. Lol we both think same sex marriage should be legal. He is against abortion. I am not. He and I have a few views changed. Lol never has infringed on our marriage though. :)

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Ladies, this is the lowest,  slimiest type of debating I have seen in my life, coming from you.

Enough said....

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Bwahahaha! Blame BloKo - she shoulda warned you, toughened yer hide up a li'l in prep for these here parts. See, we ain't all Catholic. Or even...Christian!!! I know!! Shocker!!!!

As for me, the dust from yer sandals isn't enough to make anyone sneeze.

Buh bye, Sanctimonious Sidekick. 

P.S. There never was a debate. You came in holy roller-style, to cast your jjudgement on of all us, and prosyletize. 

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:45 AM

It sounds like you are in the wrong Church.

Quoting acrogodess:

I grew up Catholic. I even taught Catechism for two yrs. I support marriage equality. No where does it say that American Catholics want priests performing gay marriage ceremonies in the church. There are many things I took issue with growing up Catholic which separated me from the faith. I don't agree and never did with the Holy Trinity. I don't agree with lighting candles and praying to the saints or to Mary. I think priests should be able to marry. I think women should be able to be priests and deacons. Those are just some of my issues.

Quoting mehamil1:

I grew up Catholic. In many ways I'm still culturally Irish Catholic smack dab in the middle of an Irish neighborhood in Chicago. The majority of people here are Catholic. 

Despite this, nearly everyone (with exceptions of the older people) supports marriage equality. We are very well aware of the Church's stance. We understand the catechism and the teachings. We also are aware that the government has no business discriminating against people. 

People can believe whatever they want in regards to religion. What they don't have the right to do is legislate their religious beliefs into a secular government that covers everyone, not just the followers of that religion. 

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM
No, I am nondenominational Christian now and they aren't Trinitarians. Except for how anti gay they are and how they view watching anything with "evil" in it I agree with everything else so I am much happier for it. No one will ever agree with every single thing a religion, church or politician believes. It is about finding the right fit. As for my children, who were baptized Catholic, when with my mother, they attend mass and when with us the attend Sunday children's fellowship. They can make their decision as adults about the right fit for them.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting acrogodess:

I grew up Catholic. I even taught Catechism for two yrs. I support marriage equality. No where does it say that American Catholics want priests performing gay marriage ceremonies in the church. There are many things I took issue with growing up Catholic which separated me from the faith. I don't agree and never did with the Holy Trinity. I don't agree with lighting candles and praying to the saints or to Mary. I think priests should be able to marry. I think women should be able to be priests and deacons. Those are just some of my issues.

Quoting mehamil1:

I grew up Catholic. In many ways I'm still culturally Irish Catholic smack dab in the middle of an Irish neighborhood in Chicago. The majority of people here are Catholic. 

Despite this, nearly everyone (with exceptions of the older people) supports marriage equality. We are very well aware of the Church's stance. We understand the catechism and the teachings. We also are aware that the government has no business discriminating against people. 

People can believe whatever they want in regards to religion. What they don't have the right to do is legislate their religious beliefs into a secular government that covers everyone, not just the followers of that religion. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I meant when you were in the Catholic Church.   Why stay with a Church when you don't seem to fit in with anything they believe.  I am sure your leaving was good for both you and the Catholic Church.  I am glad you found a better fit.

Quoting acrogodess:

No, I am nondenominational Christian now and they aren't Trinitarians. Except for how anti gay they are and how they view watching anything with "evil" in it I agree with everything else so I am much happier for it. No one will ever agree with every single thing a religion, church or politician believes. It is about finding the right fit. As for my children, who were baptized Catholic, when with my mother, they attend mass and when with us the attend Sunday children's fellowship. They can make their decision as adults about the right fit for them.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting mehamil1:

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I stayed as long as I did because I was a minor. Then even though I only attended sporadically, I stayed longer and baptized the children there because of family and cultural tradition. I spent about 6 yrs without attending church before feeling called back and lo and behold, both my s/o and I were being invited to the same church without realizing it. It ended up being a good fit for both of us. Now we need to find a new church though since we moved and I am nervous. Although, we can watch the webcast of our church's Sunday service online live.

Quoting candlegal:

I meant when you were in the Catholic Church.   Why stay with a Church when you don't seem to fit in with anything they believe.  I am sure your leaving was good for both you and the Catholic Church.  I am glad you found a better fit.

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not a debate when you just sit there, type out some religious nonsense and act all holier than thou, and then expect the rest of us to take it. This place isn't like the elections board. This is a much more diverse group. 

-mehamil, tripper over cradles 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Enough said....

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)