Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why SHOULD we attempt to "rehabilitate" sex offenders and violent offenders?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 157 Replies

Poll

Question: do you think it is time both countries start taking a tougher stance on violent crime?

Options:

yes, enough is enough

no, we should be nice to those people and let them live

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

seriously.

put them jail and throw away the key? why? why should tax payers be putting a roof over their heads and 3 square meals in their belly? do you know how much that costs per day?In the state of Ohio, Corrections Department published the figure of $36,000 a year ( or $98.63 per day) to incarcerate a felon within the system. This is Department wide and then averaged out for the 42,000 incarcerated inmates in the State.

i am sure we could find stats for other states or provinces, (because yes i think canada needs to start executing the aforementioned type of prisoners too)

why should we keep these people alive?

"oh but they might  be innocent....." boofuckinghoo. if you are found guilty and there is evidence supporting that verdict, thats enough for me.

now im not a "mean" or "heartless" person, but i get really pissed off when it comes to these fucks being charged with a sex/violent crime, going and doing their cakewalk jail sentence, getting out, and re offending.

rehabilitate?lets rehabilitate the addicts. they actually have a chance of rehabilitation, something many of them cannot afford.

you cant "rehabilitate" a child rapist. or a lifelong violent criminal. a serial killer.

and can either your country or mine actually afford to continue housing these people? eventually there will be more prisoners than jail cells, then what?

my list of offences which would get you executed;

• murder. a life for a life, period. i dont care  if you are a teen mom who hid her pregnancy and then killed her baby and hid it in a shoe box because you're scared of what your parents will say. 
  • violent  offenses against another person; there should be a severity scale. 1-3, with 3 being the worst (person ends up hospitalized because of your actions) a 3 gets you executed. accumulate a score of 3, and your done. this goes for child abuse and domestic violence as well. enough is enough.
  • pedophiles. your done. 

feel free to add to this list.

this complete and total disregard for life these days is sickening. time to bring back the death penalty.

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

BUMP!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
4 moms liked this

I'll happily work and pay more taxes to keep convicted sex offenders and murderers off the street

lga1965
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Sex offenders can't be cured. Studies prove that. Probably the same with violent ,repeat offenders.

But the death penalty is risky and I still believe that we don't have the right to take a life, even that of criminal in prison.It is too final and we know that many people were cleared by DNA testing. In the past, before DNA testing, there were innocent people being put to death. This is a tricky situation.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Do you happen to know how much it costs to put someone to death? How much the appeals process is?

I don't have hard numbers, but I believe it is in the millions. Keeping someone in prison for 36k a year is far cheaper than the death penalty.

Perhaps violent offenders should have access to less conveniences and be made to work to pay off some of their debt thus off setting the expense to house and feed them. I am perfectly fine with bringing back chain gangs, hard labor, etc for these types of offenders and not bothering to spend the money on rehabilitation.

ethans_momma06
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It actually costs more to house and care for someone on Death Row than it is to simply give them life. So, if we are looking at this only by the #'s.... it would seem that keeping them alive is actually more fiscally sound.

I would have to research more about rehibilitation vs. life, but I don't think rehibilitation should be scrubbed off the table. Also- what serial killers were ever given a cakewalk sentence and then released back into the public?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! We agree!! I'm marking my calendar:)

Quoting lga1965:

Sex offenders can't be cured. Studies prove that. Probably the sae with violent ,repeat offenders.

But the death penalty is risky and I still believe that we don't have the right to take a life, even that of criminal in prison.It is too final and we know that many people were cleared by DNA testing. In the past, before DNA testing, there were innocent people being put to death. This is a tricky situation.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Move to China, they have the system you're looking for.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
11 moms liked this

I think jails should be a lot harsher...you should lose every right you've ever had and it should be miserable. No commissary where you can buy extra stuff. NO tv, no recreation for the hard criminals. Jail is simply a place away from  your family now, let's make it an even worse place for the worst of the criminals. Hard labor instead of gym time. Chain gangs. A place they truly DON'T want to go to.

Its time to start punishing hardened criminals instead of hugging them and helping them.

lga1965
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM

good

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Wow! We agree!! I'm marking my calendar:)

Quoting lga1965:

Sex offenders can't be cured. Studies prove that. Probably the same with violent ,repeat offenders.

lancet98
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Could not vote as both choices were ridiculous and only serve the OP's goals - she should be ashamed for even PRETENDING that this thread is going to be any sort  of  actual discussion other than her opinion and how great it is to agree with her.

The main reason for not offing them all is that the justice system makes erroneous convictions.   Witnesses lie, prosecution and defense make mistakes.   The system isn't perfect.  

The other is cost.   The death penalty is monstrously expensive.  The argument that the death penalty would save us money is totally and completely absurd.  It is, in fact, a lie.   It is far more costly than long term prison. 

The next reason against just offing them all is that they can, indeed, be rehabilitated.   Yes, a good many criminals committing violent crimes are rehabilitated, and do not go on to offend again.  Not all criminals have a brain defect that inevitably leads to re-offending.  Many will respond to therapy and education.

In fact, rapists have one of the LOWEST recidivism rates of all crimes.  So do murderers.   So that argument is wrong.   The facts do not support it.

Recidivism rates are monstrous for crimes like stealing cars, burglary and similar crimes related to thefts.  Recidvism rates for rape and murder are very low.

The next reason is how such killings would affect other prisoners and how it would affect the staff and officials having to carry it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)