Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Redshirting Age

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 63 Replies

Apparently I am supposed to hold back DS because he is an October baby. Nephew had 5 kids turning SEVEN in his K class when he was still 5 all year long. One child turned 7 in his SECOND grade class this year. So those kids will be ... 19? in high school? Wowsers! 6 in 9th grade? Driving? I didn't turn 16 until I was a junior. Uh yea that's not happening. I don't want him to start his senior year at age 18. It would be harder to enforce school attendance.

Did your kids start/will at age 5, 4 going on 5, or 5 going on 6? What is the cutoff age in your district? 

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM
We redshirted four of our kids. All had birthdays within days, to weeks of our state cutoff.
I didn't want my 17 year old going to college.
It will never hurt my child to have been home an extra year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

They are doing it because school systems have a one-size-fits-all curriculum that many little boys, due to their slower development, cannot meet.  So parents are holding them out an extra year if their birthdays are anywhere near the deadline. 

I understand why they are doing this; you can avoid labels on your kid that simply wouldn't be issued if the child was more developmentally mature. 

It's a ridiculous system that doesn't take into account the normal variations in children.   My kids will be graduating on the young side (17), but this is because we home schooled the early years, and the disparities leveled out.  Both are advanced....now. 

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
My birthday is in February. I turned 6 in kindergarden and was turning 18 in grade 12. I went back for a "victory lap" in highschool and turned 19 during that year and was legally able to drink. It was kind of weird but not as bad as your ds would have it. I think our cutoff is the end of December here. As long as you turn 5 by the end of the year then you can start kindergarden at 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I would never redshirt my child.  I would way rather send my child to college early then have him/her graduate at 19!  I'd prefer my kids graduate before they're 18th birthday to be totally honest, the older the child the harder to inforce attendance.  My husband and my brother both turned 18 early in they're senior years of high school and decided to stop going to school. 

Right now our districts cut off is Dec. 30th, but they are slowly moving it up over the next few years until it gets to Sept. 30th.  Dd's birthday is Nov. 19th.  At this point we're not sure if her birthday will be before or after the cutoff when she starts school.  Either way I plan on starting her in school that year, even if it means having to homeschool for a few years and then challenge her into the right grade later.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
6 moms liked this

Perhaps you need to think what is best for your kids.  If allowing them to be seniors at 18 means they don't go to school, you did a bad job of raising them the first 11 years in school.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
This with my oldest. Her bd is in August. By the end if the school year her classmates have all turned the same age.

Quoting matofour:

We redshirted four of our kids. All had birthdays within days, to weeks of our state cutoff.

I didn't want my 17 year old going to college.

It will never hurt my child to have been home an extra year.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

My youngest is 18, and she is a senior in highschool right now. It has never bothered her.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

wow why are you so negative about the male gender? if a child is developmentally slow they should be held back - developmental delays are not gender related they are genetic. boys may be slow in your family but that is not the case across the board.

Quoting TranquilMind:

They are doing it because school systems have a one-size-fits-all curriculum that many little boys, due to their slower development, cannot meet.  So parents are holding them out an extra year if their birthdays are anywhere near the deadline. 

I understand why they are doing this; you can avoid labels on your kid that simply wouldn't be issued if the child was more developmentally mature. 

It's a ridiculous system that doesn't take into account the normal variations in children.   My kids will be graduating on the young side (17), but this is because we home schooled the early years, and the disparities leveled out.  Both are advanced....now. 

CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

i dont believe in redshirting.. with that said, DS started K 19 days after he turned 5

DD will be starting school 40 days after she turns 5.

Dec 1 is our school cut off.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I was a year ahead...the youngest and near smallest in the class K-12. I red shirted my youngest for a fall birthday. It was a good decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN