Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

the difference in my intolerance/bigotry and yours...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 211 Replies
42 moms liked this
I hear a lot of women get all riled up when they're called bigots for not wanting gays to marry. They, in turn, call supporters hypocrites, bigots, and just as intolerant. I think you ladies are confused. I will be the first to admit that if you're a bigot, I do not like you. If you think your religion should be what our laws are based off, I probably don't like you and find to be an idiot. I will also call you a bigot. Let me explain to you why I'm not a hypocrite. I'll start by listing all the people I don't like....I don't like fundies, I don't like racists, I don't like those opposed to gay marriage and actively try to prevent them of their rights. I think that type of thinking is harmful and it goes against everything I BELIEVE. All of these things might make me an asshole, but not a hypocrite. Ya know why? I, and the others like me, would fight with every ounce of my being to make sure your bigoted hateful self is NEVER denied the same rights I have. Do you understand this thought process? Do you understand that though I think you're harmful I still demand that we be treated as equals? Stop calling people hypocrites when you obviously have no grasp on what it means.

Rant over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunnyBuny
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

What is a fundie? 

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM
7 moms liked this

Wow you must be feeling guilty of being a bigot to post this little rant trying to explain and justify your bigotry...

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundie

Quoting SunnyBuny:

What is a fundie? 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Oooohhhh burn lol

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Wow you must be feeling guilty of being a bigot to post this little rant trying to explain and justify your bigotry...

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Really I'm just clearing it up for those who can't use logic. Hope ya learn something.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

SunnyBuny
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I am reading it like this not knowing any of the background. She may be a religious bigot, but she is not a hypocrite and doesn't like being called one for the reasons she said. They may be bigots against equal rights for gay people, but they are not hypocrites. So both can be assholes and bigots. She thinks some don't understand what a hypocrite is, and others have called her a hypocrite, I am assuming, for fighting for her beliefs, while telling others theirs are wrong? 

Sounds like we have a lot of humans in here. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
7 moms liked this

Perhaps you should learn what it means because you're wrong.  You're just as bigoted and intolerant.

You can say you disagree with their beliefs, but once you say you dislike them for their beliefs, you've crossed over into bigotry. 

big·ot

noun \ˈbi-gət\

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

tol·er·ance

noun \ˈtä-lə-rən(t)s, ˈtäl-rən(t)s\

Definition of TOLERANCE

a : sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own
b : the act of allowing something : toleration
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM
13 moms liked this

This needs to be said every week or so.

People always try to use that defense, "Well you are being a hypocrite because you are opressing my ability to oppress others".

That doesn't make someone a hypocrite.

Trying to stop bigotry doesn't make one a bigot.
Trying to stop discrimination doesn't make someone guilty of discrimination.

These are things people say all the time.

Stopping oppression is not the same as oppressing someone/group of people.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ashellbell:

Really I'm just clearing it up for those who can't use logic. Hope ya learn something.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I learned something.  I'm pretty sure I didn't learn what you were aiming (and failing miserably) to teach.

It's ok.  Your little soapbox is cute. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Ah, but I don't treat people poorly for their beliefs. I'll tell them they're wrong but I will still fight for all their rights and ensure that they're tested the same as you or I. If I don't like them, I simply don't waste my time in friending them. I'll continue to love them in their ignorance. I don't protest churches or tell them they should die our deny them rights. I tolerate them

Quoting ElitestJen:

Perhaps you should learn what it means because you're wrong.  You're just as bigoted and intolerant.

You can say you disagree with their beliefs, but once you say you dislike them for their beliefs, you've crossed over into bigotry. 

big·ot

noun \ˈbi-gət\

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

tol·er·ance

noun \ˈtä-lə-rən(t)s, ˈtäl-rən(t)s\

Definition of TOLERANCE

a : sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own
b : the act of allowing something : toleration

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN