Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bill Maher on California Income Taxes: 'Liberals - You Could Actually Lose Me'

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Bill Maher made a comment Friday that his benefactor and hero Barack Obama should sit up and take notice of.

Bill Maher on California Income Taxes: 'Liberals - You Could Actually Lose Me'

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/03/16/bill-maher-california-income-taxes-liberals-you-could-actually-lose-m#ixzz2NpicR19P

Speaking about the taxes the rich pay particularly in California, the host of HBO's Real Time said, "Liberals - you could actually lose me" (video follows with transcribed highlights and commentary):

The panel discussion began with a conversation about the various budget proposals currently on the table in Washington.

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow predictably slammed Congressman Paul Ryan's (R-Wisc.) plan.

"The Ryan budget is a document that says the big problems in America right now are that rich people do not have enough money," she mocked. "They need relief from confiscatory tax rates."

"Well," Maher unsuccessfully tried to interrupt as Maddow continued. When she was finally done, he surprisingly pushed back.

Pointing at Virginia's former Republican Congressman Tom Davis, Maher said, "You know what? Rich people - I'm sure you'd agree with this - actually do pay the freight in this country."

"I just saw these statistics," he continued, "I mean, something like 70 percent. And here in California, I just want to say liberals - you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying - over 50 percent. I'm willing to pay my share, but yeah, it's ridiculous."

So it appears there is a point where Maher's money becomes more important than his politics.

Consider that in California, millionaires on top of the 39.6 percent they'll pay to the federal government in 2013, there's an additional 14.63 percent that now goes to the state.

Add in payroll taxes, local taxes, and property taxes, and I've seen estimates that the total tax bite could exceed 60 percent here.

But the rich aren't paying their "fair share."

Regardless, it sure was nice to see a liberal - especially one that contributed to Obama's reelection campaign! - complaining about his taxes.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Ole Maher finally shut his mouth for a change and looked at his income tax paperwork..........CLUELESS.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think I ever seen anyone who has said, "No rich person pays their fair sure".

If someone is paying more than 40% it is clear they are not who people are talking about when they say some rich people pay between 10-15%. OR that some corporations pay 0%.

OR when they mention the people who use tax loopholes (For unintended purpose) to skip on taxes.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh.....my..........being a little intellectually dishonest with your first sentence? ;  )

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I don't think I ever seen anyone who has said, "No rich person pays their fair sure".

If someone is paying more than 40% it is clear they are not who people are talking about when they say some rich people pay between 10-15%. OR that some corporations pay 0%.

OR when they mention the people who use tax loopholes (For unintended purpose) to skip on taxes.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely not. There are people who say not all rich people pay their fair sure. There are people who say some people in the top 1% Don't pay their share.

There are some people who say those that pay 10-15% don't pay their fair share.

But I have never seen someone say, "No rich person pays their fair sure" or, "Every rich person pays between 10-15%".

Again. It's pretty clear if someone is paying more than 40% they are not the people we are talking about. Heck if they pay more than 30% they are still not the people we are talking about. If they pay 25% it becomes a grey area where some would say they are and some would say they aren't.

But I think most people would agree that rich people shouldn't be paying half of what a middle class american has to pay.

Notice how in that comment I am not suggesting that every rich person does that. But pointing out the problem with the rich people who DO.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Oh.....my..........being a little intellectually dishonest with your first sentence? ;  )

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Nice how you still bash him even when he agrees with you. Like someone in another group bashing that GOP guy that changed his stance on gay marriage. Some people can't win.

I'm a Liberal in Cali and agree with Maher, many Cali Libs are just too much with taxes and regulation. Unfortunately all the Cons I've dealt with in this state are just as stupid, only to the right. Maher calls Obama and Liberals to task all the time so this isn't the shocking news the op seems to think it is.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Yes, that is a once-in-a-lifetime occasion!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

oh my.....he is turning into a Republican !

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Many on the left in the state as pointed these problems out as stated below.

I don't live in California ... But yes, it is a big problem

Ten years ago, a little known proposition was on the ballot, which turned tax and bond issues on the ballot to go from needed a supermajority (2/3) in order to become law, to a simple majority. Something from the ole Prop 13 days.

So during the '90s it helped keep taxes and bonds on check ... Still, since ballots initiatives of bonds and taxes has gone into effect, the state has in effect been driving out the middle class in that state.

But, yes the state government of California and many of the local and county governments of that state has over regulated and over taxes too many of the businesses and the middle class

Quoting Friday:

Nice how you still bash him even when he agrees with you. Like someone in another group bashing that GOP guy that changed his stance on gay marriage. Some people can't win.

I'm a Liberal in Cali and agree with Maher, many Cali Libs are just too much with taxes and regulation. Unfortunately all the Cons I've dealt with in this state are just as stupid, only to the right. Maher calls Obama and Liberals to task all the time so this isn't the shocking news the op seems to think it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

Ten years ago, a little known proposition was on the ballot, which turned tax and bond issues on the ballot to go from needed a supermajority (2/3) in order to become law, to a simple majority. Something from the ole Prop 13 days.

So during the '90s it helped keep taxes and bonds on check ... Still, since ballots initiatives of bonds and taxes has gone into effect, the state has in effect been driving out the middle class in that state.

But, yes the state government of California and many of the local and county governments of that state has over regulated and over taxes too many of the businesses and the middle class

Quoting Friday:

Part of the problem is we let the people vote on too many issues, that they don't have the knowledge to make a good decision on. Most only care about how it affects them directly instaed of looking at the big picture. Too many also rely on the political commercials to make up their mind instead of actually researching issues. You are also right, changing the numbers needed to pass legislation has had it's consequences.

I love my state but we do have our issues that need work.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Yes, it isn't the only problem ... I should've stated that, my point being there have been plenty of people on the left that has made a note of the budgetary, initiatives, public unions, ill-equipped city and county managers, etc. there has been people on the left in that state, that has indeed pointed it out.

If you remember in the mid '90s when "Conservstive" Orange County went bankrupt, it was a (far) left mayor of irvine and the county treasurer, both of which were democrats and was calling attention to the issue.

I can go on and on, but I think I made my point.

:)

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

Part of the problem is we let the people vote on too many issues, that they don't have the knowledge to make a good decision on. Most only care about how it affects them directly instaed of looking at the big picture. Too many also rely on the political commercials to make up their mind instead of actually researching issues. You are also right, changing the numbers needed to pass legislation has had it's consequences.

I love my state but we do have our issues that need work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured