Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (101-104):
Mistygirl
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

The only people I feel bad for are the victim and her family, and the family of the guilty, because of these idiots piss poor decision a lot of lives are ruined, I do not feel bad for these boys, they deserve the sentence they got. Their parents are going to have to live with it forever. I would be devistated if my children did something like this.  That poor girl and her family are forever tramitized. She will never be able to trust anyone again and her parents are going to have to help her hopefully cope from here on out. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I think I read "juvenile sex offender" somewhere. Anyone know the difference between that and just "sex offender"?

Quoting Naturewoman4:

This is why I don't listen to CNN or a lot of the other news channels.   I'm a FoxNews fan myself :)  It's disgusting to hear a report like this, caring about these poor, poor punks.  I wish they were tried as an adult.  I think they should get even more time!  But, having them to register as a Sex Offender is what they deserve!  I was so nervous that they would get off.  So, when I heard the verdict I was like "Yea they got that one right". 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Wtf? The "reporter" seriously felt bad for the rapists? Definitely not watching CNN anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
womanwifemomof3
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I agree with you.  I think we need to focus more on morals as a society.  I do in my family.  I am also aware that not everyone does though and if a boy watches it and decides not to rape just cause of the consequences then  at least one less rapist.  We need to focus on the moral aspects but that is not what that broadcast was about and I don't think their broadcast was wrong to show it how they did.  They should follow up with a broadcast on how to raise teens with better morals to help families out.

Quoting Arroree:

Anyone who only doesn't rape because they know it's illegal, or because they might get in trouble, or because it could ruin their future, is NOT someone i'd want anything to do with, and is a son i would be ashamed of raising.

I want and fully expect my sons to not rape based solely on them knowing that it's a horrible vicious disgusting thing to do and them being better people than to even consider doing something of that nature.  Not doing something because it's morally repugnant and not doing something because you don't want legal trouble are two very different things, one being commendable and worthy of respect, the other a more sociopathic viewpoint.

If all a boy ever learns about things like rape is that they shouldn't do it based on the ruined lives and legal trouble they'll end up just like the young men in this case thinking it's ok as long as they think they can get away with it. The focus needs to be on the moral aspects not the legal ones, THAT is how you raise a non-rapist.

Quoting womanwifemomof3:

I think its well played that way because other teen boys will relate to the boys and their now ruined lives.  Hopefully causing other teen boys to realize what big trouble it will cause them if they act like that.  Teen boys can be very self centered and pnly talking about the girls hardship wouldnt have much effect on other boys.  They would just dismiss her no mtter what was said but when they see a boy like them falling apart over bad choices other boys can take home the message thatt they shouldnt do it.  I dont feel bad for the rapists and have more sympathy for the girl but she doesn't need any more of her business broadcast than necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)