Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Just to look at it from another angle: These were guys that supposedly had everything going for them and they BLEW IT by being stupid. Consider it a cautionary tale for every young man out there. You can have it all and destroy it by making a horrific decision.

They deserve the punishment thet get, there's no question about that. And they don't deserve sympathy.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
6 moms liked this
I do NOT condone what these boys did, nor do I condone rape.

But I do agree with CNN that these kids had promising futures and one bad choice has destroyed that. I'm sure the boys are upset...when you're a teen, you never think anything bad will happen to you. And I don't blame the victim for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night, she too is suffering the consequences of that choice.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it and it could have been avoided!

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult). When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
3 moms liked this

They totally expected to get away with it....Now they are surprised they are held accountable.

Good riddance.

Quoting lga1965:

Holy cow.They ruined their own futures when they raped the girl. The sentencing didn't....they did it to themselves.And why do they think at CNN that these guys had "bright futures"??? Just because they were football players? They have something wrong with them if they think raping a girl was okay....they have flaws, serious personal flaws, lack of morals..That means, in my view,that they wouldn't have a "bright future" anyway.

And what about the girl? Doesn't anyone at CNN care? The idiots.

Neon Washable Paint

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Ya their lives are destroyed because THEY destroyed them.  No pity from me for anyone but the victim and their families. They ruined a lot of lives in the wake of their shitty decision making.

HotMomma2622
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes and I'm sure the real victim will never get the justice she needs to feel like they got what they deserve. How can you rape someone and only get a year to three yrs in juvenile jail? They should of got a hell of lot more than that. What kind of fucked up justice system do we have ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

that was so friggin annoying....that Poppy chick needs a reminder of what a raped girl will have to go through.  And Ma'lik crying...blah.  Yes Im so sorry I got caught.  Because if this hadnt have hit the media, ....I would bet my bottom dollar that he would be giving high fives to his cohorts in this whole disgusting saga...along with that rabid wanker who gave his drunken dead girl speech on youtube.  That girl would of been seen as a pariah...as someone who "oh we fucked her ...shes a real dirty whore, but if you need some head...go see her"

Its a fucked up world when the world sees these kids as anything but the sex offending rapists that they are...they arent deserving of any sympathy....none what so ever!

Blech blech and double blech.....

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps if they didn't want to be labeled sex offenders they should have thought about that before they went out and raped a girl.

And I don't buy any of the "lives ruined over a bad choice" bull shit. We were all teens and our husbands and make friends were all teens once. We all made bad choices and suffered the consequences. However, I would be willing to bet none of our bad choices involved beating and raping a girl, video taping it and putting it on YouTube. As disturbed as I am by what these boys did, I am even more disturbed that they don't think they did anything wrong and thought nothing would happen to them because they happen to throw a ball well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I find the sentence to be a joke, actually. 5-7 years? That's disgusting. How about 15-20 years?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

sick

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Yeah cause it's all about those poor poor boys who are obviously the victims here....

Disgusting.

Exactly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)