Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

If they hadn't been found guilty now they probably would have gone on to commit even more horrific crimes.  They must be sociopaths given the gruesome nature of this rape.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I just saw some thing about this on my FB feed.

I have no sympathy for these boys.  They knew what they were doing.  Now their conscience kicks in?  Please.

They damn well should be registered sex offenders.

They also should have been tried as adults.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

And there's your bottom line. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult). When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I do NOT condone what these boys did, nor do I condone rape.

But I do agree with CNN that these kids had promising futures and one bad choice has destroyed that. I'm sure the boys are upset...when you're a teen, you never think anything bad will happen to you. And I don't blame the victim for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night, she too is suffering the consequences of that choice.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it and it could have been avoided!

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult). When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

Could not agree more with what I turned to red.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

And there's your bottom line. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Far too many parents feel drinking and getting drunk, as a teen, is a rite of passage.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Quoting JMmama:
I am even more disturbed that they don't think they did anything wrong and thought nothing would happen to them because they happen to throw a ball well.

Agreed.

louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Such poor, poor little rapusts.... How will they ever survive?! (Do I give a crap?! No.) What about the SURVIVOR if this rape?! What of her?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Trying to remember where I heard the term "stinkin' thinkin'." But the idea of drinking and drunkenness as a rite of passage is certainly an example of it!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Far too many parents feel drinking and getting drunk, as a teen, is a rite of passage.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I have followed this case very closely, because I have three teenage boys and one teenage daughter.

Let me say this, my kids will NEVER be out that late while they are living in my house.

However, in watching this trial, as the failure of the town, of the adults became more and more apparent, I really do feel for all the kids in this case. 

Why? Because I really believe they didn't grasp how wrong all of what they were doing is. 

You know, one of my boys was out walking (four o'clock in the afternoon) with a group of friends. These stupid kids decided it would be fun to spray cologne and light it on fire. One decided to drench his hand and light it on fire. My son just left. Never said "hey this is stupid" didn't tell an adult, I found it on Facebook.

The reality is, teenage boys are stupid and they need guidance, they need to understand to treasure young women, they need to understand what constitutes rape. 

In this case, no one ever told these kids. Sure they knew about rape, but not in this context. 

I agree with the sentence.

What I disagree with is labeling them for life. They should be allowed to at least rehabilitate before they carry a life sentence.

And before anyone asks or accuses me of not understanding. I was raped at 16. The only difference between my circumstance and this girls victimization, the boys had full out sex with me, over and over and over, then left me in a park to sleep off the drugs and alcohol. I never got any justice. 

Chelsey191
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
This is disgusting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN