Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sherry132:

I have followed this case very closely, because I have three teenage boys and one teenage daughter.

Let me say this, my kids will NEVER be out that late while they are living in my house.

However, in watching this trial, as the failure of the town, of the adults became more and more apparent, I really do feel for all the kids in this case. 

Why? Because I really believe they didn't grasp how wrong all of what they were doing is. 

You know, one of my boys was out walking (four o'clock in the afternoon) with a group of friends. These stupid kids decided it would be fun to spray cologne and light it on fire. One decided to drench his hand and light it on fire. My son just left. Never said "hey this is stupid" didn't tell an adult, I found it on Facebook.

The reality is, teenage boys are stupid and they need guidance, they need to understand to treasure young women, they need to understand what constitutes rape. 

In this case, no one ever told these kids. Sure they knew about rape, but not in this context. 

I agree with the sentence.

What I disagree with is labeling them for life. They should be allowed to at least rehabilitate before they carry a life sentence.

And before anyone asks or accuses me of not understanding. I was raped at 16. The only difference between my circumstance and this girls victimization, the boys had full out sex with me, over and over and over, then left me in a park to sleep off the drugs and alcohol. I never got any justice. 

First, I am truly sorry for what happaned to you and that no one was held accountable.

I don't buy, for a second, that these boys had little to no idea what they were doing was wrong.  

I do agree that their parents failed them, in many ways.  But in today's world, at the age of 16, any boy, or girl for that matter, who thinks what took place is okay, in any way...........they have been living under a rock.  

I have no problem with them being labeled as sex offenders.  

Please note that I do not have any snarky tone going on. It's hard some times when there is no tone button. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this

For those people who want to put blame on the girl for drinking, I would suggest they go read through the stuff that Anonymous uncovered about this whole ordeal.  The girl was not drinking. She was drugged. That entire night was a set up to punish her for dumping one of the members of the rape squad.  I can't remember his name, but the one that tweeted, "I have no sympathy for sloppy whores". 

opinionated07
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
What a joke! Their future went down the tubes because of THEIR own actions. No one should feel sorry for them. Just disgusting that CNN would take the side of rapists!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Pathetic.

one_on_the_way
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM
3 moms liked this

There are plenty of boys and men who have been in the presence of a passed out drunk girl.....and the thought of violating her, humiliating her, and video taping it never once crossed their minds.  SOME boys and men actually take it upon themselves to be decent fucking human beings and leave the girl alone to sleep it off....maybe even checking on her to make sure she is okay.  It takes a messed up person to think it was okay to do something like that to that girl.  Considering they were able to act in such a way, it is obvious that their 'promising' future would have been nothing but a future of entitlement and getting away with doing whatever the hell they pleased.  Yeah - how 'promising'.  

It sucks they were so disgusting, cruel, and stupid to ruin their own lives.  I also hope they get the help they need...because they are young....but, if the media spins this as though the boys are the victims here, that will do nothing to help.  The last thing those boys need.....or ANY boys/men in our society needs.....is to think that their behavior was in any way, shape, or form "justified" simply because the girl was intoxicated. 

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Idiots. Just disgusting idiots. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don''t know, it could be a business decision. if you go by some of the comments here on CM, the rape-apologist demographic is a distressingly populated one. 

mama2sqgl
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
They deserved to be tried as adults, if they we not "football stars" and whatever have you they would have been. At 17 you should know better. at any age you should know better!! No one ruined their future but themselves. It makes me sick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmybaby
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I have to agree that perhaps these boys didn't really get what they did was wrong at the time they were committing this crime.  I believe that way too many parents let their children grow up , they give them "the talk" if the kid is lucky but what they don't do... is scare the crap out of their kid with... "doing blah-blah will seriously ruin YOUR life."  Some kids need it spelled out for them.  Maybe they are used to getting into bits of trouble here and there... but mom and dad always do the sweet talking to get them out of it... thus never really taking on the consequences.  Well... they are taking it on now.   

I have to add that I am disgusted with some of the adults in this story that tried to place the blame on the victim.  Being drunk, or for that matter if the girl gave head to every member of the team ... it would still NOT make it OK to rape her while she was unconscious.  How can those adults live with themselves for trying to make her the bad guy.  That is almost as bad as what those boys DID to her.  Disgusting!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting sherry132:

I have followed this case very closely, because I have three teenage boys and one teenage daughter.

Let me say this, my kids will NEVER be out that late while they are living in my house.

However, in watching this trial, as the failure of the town, of the adults became more and more apparent, I really do feel for all the kids in this case. 

Why? Because I really believe they didn't grasp how wrong all of what they were doing is

You know, one of my boys was out walking (four o'clock in the afternoon) with a group of friends. These stupid kids decided it would be fun to spray cologne and light it on fire. One decided to drench his hand and light it on fire. My son just left. Never said "hey this is stupid" didn't tell an adult, I found it on Facebook.

The reality is, teenage boys are stupid and they need guidance, they need to understand to treasure young women, they need to understand what constitutes rape. 

In this case, no one ever told these kids. Sure they knew about rape, but not in this context. 

I agree with the sentence.

What I disagree with is labeling them for life. They should be allowed to at least rehabilitate before they carry a life sentence.

And before anyone asks or accuses me of not understanding. I was raped at 16. The only difference between my circumstance and this girls victimization, the boys had full out sex with me, over and over and over, then left me in a park to sleep off the drugs and alcohol. I never got any justice. 

First, I am truly sorry for what happaned to you and that no one was held accountable.

I don't buy, for a second, that these boys had little to no idea what they were doing was wrong.  

I do agree that their parents failed them, in many ways.  But in today's world, at the age of 16, any boy, or girl for that matter, who thinks what took place is okay, in any way...........they have been living under a rock.  

I have no problem with them being labeled as sex offenders.  

Please note that I do not have any snarky tone going on. It's hard some times when there is no tone button. 

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, poor, poor babies.

I'm still surprised they got charged as juveniles. From what I've read (and I hope I've missed some information somewhere) one of them will get one year in juvenile detention, the  other two (for distributing the pictures).

Please, someone tell me they are getting real sentences, not just some time in JD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN