Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM

How can you say, "I don't blame the victimm for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night".

The consequence of getting drunk is not getting raped. She is not to blame for the rape.The two teenagers that raped her are to blame.

It definately could have been avoided If those two kids didn't decide to rape her. It would not have happened.

You are sure the boys are upset? They made a video bragging about it, and joking about it. They were not upset they raped her. They are upset they are getting in trouble for it.

A teenager girl getting drunk has nothing to do with rape. That doesn't make it okay for a guy to rape her.

Should teaching teenagers not to drink be a thing? Absolutely. But it should not be related to being raped.

Especially since this girl was targeted by these boys because she dumped one of their friends.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I do NOT condone what these boys did, nor do I condone rape.

But I do agree with CNN that these kids had promising futures and one bad choice has destroyed that. I'm sure the boys are upset...when you're a teen, you never think anything bad will happen to you. And I don't blame the victim for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night, she too is suffering the consequences of that choice.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it and it could have been avoided!

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult). When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Unless being drunk makes it okay for someone to rape you. That is not the bottom line.

Especially since we don't know if she got that drunk. We do know she dumped one of their friends. And these guys were the kind of guys who would joke and brag about rape (This is how they got the attention they go after all).

If a group of guys think it is funny, or something to be proud of to rape someone.

The bottom line isn't that a girl was drunk, or drugged. It's that rape is wrong.

Quoting gdiamante:

And there's your bottom line. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult). When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I'm sure the boys are upset...they're going to jail. I didn't say they I feel bad for them or they don't deserve jail. I'd like to think they're also upset (remorseful) about what they did but I have no idea.

As for the victim, no, rape is not a consequence of being drunk. I agree with you. But passing out and waking up vomiting not knowing where you are is. Choosing to drink that much is not a good choice. Even if they hadn't raped her, she made a bad choice too that night. No means no (or if the girl can't even speak, it's no) but let's teach our kids not to put themselves in dangerous situations. It's what I'll be teaching my kids.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

How can you say, "I don't blame the victimm for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night".

The consequence of getting drunk is not getting raped. She is not to blame for the rape.The two teenagers that raped her are to blame.

It definately could have been avoided If those two kids didn't decide to rape her. It would not have happened.

You are sure the boys are upset? They made a video bragging about it, and joking about it. They were not upset they raped her. They are upset they are getting in trouble for it.

A teenager girl getting drunk has nothing to do with rape. That doesn't make it okay for a guy to rape her.

Should teaching teenagers not to drink be a thing? Absolutely. But it should not be related to being raped.

Especially since this girl was targeted by these boys because she dumped one of their friends.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I do NOT condone what these boys did, nor do I condone rape.

But I do agree with CNN that these kids had promising futures and one bad choice has destroyed that. I'm sure the boys are upset...when you're a teen, you never think anything bad will happen to you. And I don't blame the victim for getting raped but I do blame her for making a bad choice that night, she too is suffering the consequences of that choice.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it and it could have been avoided!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Maybe, just maybe this will help another girl somewhere.  I do not feel sorry for the rapists. At. All.

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh FFS!!! This is just effing disgusting. I am so sick and tired of people victim blaming. I am even more sick and tired of WOMEN victim blaming. It makes me sick to my stomach. I need to peace out of cm for a while I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Do they look remorseful to you? They are giggling and laughing about her being, "Dead as a doorknob".

Complete joking and cracking up about how "dead" she was. Do you really think it mattered if she drank or not? The guys who raped her would have raped someone eventually. And considering she dumped one of their friends I am not convinced she wasn't drugged.

The guy cracking up even directly calls it rape. Saying they raped her harder than _____ <--Insert a bunch of random jokes he uses in that line.

And even complains about how dry she was. I don't know how it could be more sick than that.

If you ask me these guys with, "Promising lives" all should have been punished for what happened. Not just the two mentioned in the article.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm sure the boys are upset...they're going to jail. I didn't say they I feel bad for them or they don't deserve jail. I'd like to think they're also upset (remorseful) about what they did but I have no idea.

As for the victim, no, rape is not a consequence of being drunk. I agree with you. But passing out and waking up vomiting not knowing where you are is. Choosing to drink that much is not a good choice. Even if they hadn't raped her, she made a bad choice too that night. No means no (or if the girl can't even speak, it's no) but let's teach our kids not to put themselves in dangerous situations. It's what I'll be teaching my kids.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM
The biggest problem with this bottom line is the alcohol was provided by the very adults we're expecting to have taught their teenagers to be respectful.

Quoting gdiamante:

And there's your bottom line. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

We need to teach our kids that underage drinking is NOT OK. Getting that drunk is NOT OK (even as an adult).
When a girl says no or can't even speak, having sex with her is NOT OK. And as parents, we need to know where our kids are, who their friends are and what they are doing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I am hoping this may be a change in tide in public opinion about sexual assault, just in time for my girls to develop into their tweens....But I am a glass half full person by nature.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Maybe, just maybe this will help another girl somewhere.  I do not feel sorry for the rapists. At. All.

Neon Washable Paint

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I don't know if you are wanting a debate with me or are just misunderstanding what I am saying.

I am saying that after all this time, I would hope the boys are remorseful for what happened, not just upset because they are going to jail (I hope that for all rapists, not just these guys). As I said below, I don't know. Yes, their behavior and attitude that night was horrendous but with the passing of time I hope they've learned from this.

I believe the boys did have promising futures and I am sad that they chose to throw it away. Wasted potential bothers me, especially when it could have been prevented. I am sad that the victim's life (also promising) has been forever altered. Overall, the entire situation is just sad.

If she was drugged that adds a whole different level of wrongness to this.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Do they look remorseful to you? They are giggling and laughing about her being, "Dead as a doorknob".

Complete joking and cracking up about how "dead" she was. Do you really think it mattered if she drank or not? The guys who raped her would have raped someone eventually. And considering she dumped one of their friends I am not convinced she wasn't drugged.

The guy cracking up even directly calls it rape. Saying they raped her harder than _____ <--Insert a bunch of random jokes he uses in that line.

And even complains about how dry she was. I don't know how it could be more sick than that.

If you ask me these guys with, "Promising lives" all should have been punished for what happened. Not just the two mentioned in the article.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylife1994
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If they would have kept their pants on and zipped then they wouldn't be in this situation. They can get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured