Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Offensive or Cute? New name for Black people.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 183 Replies

Poll

Question: Cute or offensive?

Options:

As long as she's not being derogatory about it, I think it's cute.

Even if she doesn't mean it in a bad way, I still find it offensive.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 136

View Results

My friend has a dd who's 7. They're white but they have family of all colors. Growing up the little girl always referred to black people as brown. Her reasoning being they aren't black,lol. Well recently she's taken to calling them Chocolate. "That Chocolate lady said..." Or, "That Chocolate man over there." She's not being funny about it, but serious. Her mom think's it super cute but I'm afraid AA people might be offended.

What do you think?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissam21
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sure someone would be offended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kameka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this
My oldest says brown skin, tan skin, etc. she hates the black and white because people aren't actually those colors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
6 moms liked this

I think that "African Americans" and other people of color need to stop focusing on their color and segregating themselves from the rest of the nation.  They're Americans.  They should just stick to that.

BUT ....

if we gotta call them anything I think "Chocolate" is a compliment.  After all, there aren't a lot of people who dislike chocolate!  (But I do know a few who do dislike it and/or are allergic)

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
4 moms liked this

LOL all I can think of is "sexual chocolate"

I think it is up to the person where or not it is accepted just as all naming words are. There will be people who are fine with it and there are people who are not. Found out the other day that some white people can use the N word in the same manner as black people and it be perfectly acceptable but if you are outside of that circle and a stranger hears it I doubt that it would be viewed as such.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is it better to not celebrate the differences we all have?

Quoting Saphira1207:

I think that "African Americans" and other people of color need to stop focusing on their color and segregating themselves from the rest of the nation.  They're Americans.  They should just stick to that.

BUT ....

if we gotta call them anything I think "Chocolate" is a compliment.  After all, there aren't a lot of people who dislike chocolate!  (But I do know a few who do dislike it and/or are allergic)

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
My oldest used the term chocolate when he was about 3 or 4. Does she use vanilla for white people?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
5 moms liked this

It doesn't matter what you say or do, someone somewhere will be offended.  That's just the way the world works.

That said, I'd venture most logical, reasonable people would understand.

I'd also say that by age 7, she's old enough for a basic explanation of race, terms, and what people might find offensive.

Heck, I'm 27 and I don't even know what different races prefer to be called.  I think I'm using the right term, they correct me.  "I've never been to Africa!"  "I'm not Hispanic, I'm MEXICAN."  "I'm not Mexican, I'm HISPANIC."  "Indians live in India."  For the most part, I just avoid mentioning race, or I ask about "their culture" as a go-around.  Because skin pigmentation is just a color, culture tells you a lot more about them than complexion anyways.

Mom2KIL
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Not sure on this one, so why name a color. That lady or that man.
butterbabie
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
2 moms liked this
They are not segregating themselves, really. They're being segregated against.

Quoting Saphira1207:

BUT ....

Slickswifey10
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's cute. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)